Why do I hit it well with a split handed grip?

Why do I hit it well with a split handed grip?

gsw

September 8th, 2009, 2:47 am #1

I have always hit the ball better with a split grip on the club. I don't mind this as all I am looking for is to hit the ball where I want it to go but it has always bugged me that everyone else has his or her hands together and mine are not. I would just like to understand the science behind whatever it is that allows me to strike the ball better with my hands split apart about three inches on the grip. Anyone know the answer?

Stan
Last edited by gsw on September 8th, 2009, 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm #2

it's you. It is what you are used to. It is comfortable, it works for you. You hit it well so why change. Like my dad used to about tennis - "Never change a wining strategy, always change a losing strategy". The science behind it is that is what your system finds the most comfort in, thus providing you the best execution.

I think Peter still uses a split hand, and Moe could hit it well with either as we all know. Harvey Penick - "Pretty is as pretty does."

I used to use a split hand grip. After reading Bertholy I went to the double overlap. That grip felt weird at first. I hit it better now than I did with my split hand grip. Of course I have been doing Bertholy drills for years now too!

Sometimes, just for giggles and grins, I will hit balls with all different kinds of grips, stances and set-ups. Sort of a little real time reminder to me of what is fundamental and what is not. I hit about the same with all these changes.

These things don't matter in the long run though for sure there are "more better" ways than others to do some things. There was even a guy who qualified for the US Open who played a cross handed grip for full swing shots.

September 8th, 2009, 5:07 pm #3

I've never used a 'split' grip (space between the hands) but I do use a 10 finger grip. Like you said it's comfort. I've tried single and double overlap as well as reverse overlap but come back to 10 finger though I still tinker with double overlap from time to time because I find it more intelectually satisfying. If that ever translates into comfort I'll make the change.

Peter

September 8th, 2009, 6:30 pm #4

I have always hit the ball better with a split grip on the club. I don't mind this as all I am looking for is to hit the ball where I want it to go but it has always bugged me that everyone else has his or her hands together and mine are not. I would just like to understand the science behind whatever it is that allows me to strike the ball better with my hands split apart about three inches on the grip. Anyone know the answer?

Stan
Hi Stan,

I have been using a triple overlap for a while now. I will probably switch to something else soon. LOL like mcirish says that's what I do! I always play better when I change something meaning that my problems with my game are mostly mental.

Have you ever tried using a baseball grip with your lead hand? That is lead thumb wrapped around the grip?

Regards, Herbert

September 8th, 2009, 6:32 pm #5

I've never used a 'split' grip (space between the hands) but I do use a 10 finger grip. Like you said it's comfort. I've tried single and double overlap as well as reverse overlap but come back to 10 finger though I still tinker with double overlap from time to time because I find it more intelectually satisfying. If that ever translates into comfort I'll make the change.

Peter
of me to lump those two together! He said split handed, I read 10 finger! Apologies to both you and Stan.

gsw

September 9th, 2009, 3:29 am #6

Hi Stan,

I have been using a triple overlap for a while now. I will probably switch to something else soon. LOL like mcirish says that's what I do! I always play better when I change something meaning that my problems with my game are mostly mental.

Have you ever tried using a baseball grip with your lead hand? That is lead thumb wrapped around the grip?

Regards, Herbert
And I still go back to that grip when I start to hook the ball. For me the left hand is the hand that interferes with a pure swing and causes me to hook. For most normal golfers it is the right hand that interferes with the controlling left hand and causes hooks. By placing the left hand thumb around the grip the left hand has less control of the swing so the right hand can hit the ball where I want it to go. Scott Hazledine told me that he broke a course record with a 64 while lipping out seven putts using the thumb around the grip. So it is not a bad way to play single axis golf. My question to Scott was on the Ask Scott archives so you may be able to find it if you look for it.

Stan

September 9th, 2009, 4:24 am #7

I played an 18 hole round with the wrap around thumb once and I hit it farther then usual on that day. I thought that it was because I could get more lag that way. The reason I quit using that grip was because it hurt my hand where the two hands come together. With a split grip of course that does not happen.

LOL I am absolutely hopeless! I think that changing my grip and swing is really the only reason that I play the game.

I am going to give your trail hand controlled swing a shot, I don't think that I have ever really tried it before. What fun!

Regards, Herbert