What to do? Graves Golf or Simple Swing?

What to do? Graves Golf or Simple Swing?

October 19th, 2008, 6:29 pm #1

My golf game is very frustrating right now, I go from shooting a 78 one day to a 96 three days later, my consistency stinks, I am topping the ball and hitting it thin. I used to have a reliable fade but now I can hook one ball and straight the next and then slice then next. I need consistency in my game. I hit the ball far enough I just need more consistency.

I have decided to either go with Graves Golf or the Simple Swing-There is an instructor about an hour from my house, Graves I would have to get their dvds and grips for now.

So for those who have tried both what would you recommend?

I am a 14 handicap this year-last year a 12 I want to get down to single.

BTW: The Simple Swing with the "power thumb"

October 19th, 2008, 11:42 pm #2

You don't need special grips for what the Graves Academy teaches. If you go to their site you can give them some info and they can tell you what size grip and how many layers of tape build-up you need. In fact, aside from the training club they sell, I don't think they even sell a particular grip. Graves is as close to teaching Moe Norman (especially a younger Moe) as there is imo. Heck, even Natural Golf is associating with Graves and I think they are doing a better job as a result. Refreshing after where NG used to be. I think Symple Swing offers some good ideas but I could never get past the stance. Also, don't rule out IMA if you haven't taken a look at it. There are some here, including Peter, who play quite well with that. I will close in saying that although there are a number of SA swing methods around and all of them are akin to Moe Norman, there was only one Moe. I think he even said not to copy him. His concepts yes, but trying to be exactly like him or anyone else is pure folly. Find what works for you and make it yours. It is a challenge and one that I have yet to conquer. But I keep trying. Best of luck.
Jerry

October 19th, 2008, 11:48 pm #3

My golf game is very frustrating right now, I go from shooting a 78 one day to a 96 three days later, my consistency stinks, I am topping the ball and hitting it thin. I used to have a reliable fade but now I can hook one ball and straight the next and then slice then next. I need consistency in my game. I hit the ball far enough I just need more consistency.

I have decided to either go with Graves Golf or the Simple Swing-There is an instructor about an hour from my house, Graves I would have to get their dvds and grips for now.

The simple swing consists of holding onto the club while you rotate your shoulders. It produces straighter, higher and longer shots. On top of that it is self correcting. It is successfully taught in a single day. Check it out. read the endorsements. I used to use LPG and I was successful with that swing but I gave it up for SS.

Ed Laskody at Simpleswing.com

October 20th, 2008, 3:06 am #4

I would advise you to go to Graves over SS as I think that it is a better system.

You will imho do much better with hands on instruction though. I think that at the level you are at you need to hook up with a system and correct the faults that you may have in your current swing. In other words you need to groove in the correct movements over a reasonable period of time. It takes lots of practice, when I get to single digits I will post how long it took me.

Regards, Herbert

October 20th, 2008, 10:29 am #5

N/T

October 20th, 2008, 12:01 pm #6

If I could shoot 78 on some days, I wouldn't be looking to completely change my swing. I'd be looking for what I was doing wrong on the days I shoot a high score.
Paul

October 20th, 2008, 6:39 pm #7

N/T
I have not tried Berthholy. i went through the TGM, Natural Golf, Heard Super Swing, BGG, Rotary Swing Golf and Hardy's one plane.

I used to have both Simple Swing and Graves dvds but sold them

When I shot my 78 I was trying to go back to Graves, but with a Instructor in Simple Swing being close I am torn as to what to do.

October 20th, 2008, 6:41 pm #8

If I could shoot 78 on some days, I wouldn't be looking to completely change my swing. I'd be looking for what I was doing wrong on the days I shoot a high score.
Paul
When I shot the 78 I was trying to go back to Moe and the graves stuff I got off the internet, I have tried Natural Golf previously and at one time had the Graves and Simple Swing dvds.

I am just so inconsistent if the Graves were closer it would be a no brainier, but with them being away I am thinking of the simple swing

October 20th, 2008, 8:58 pm #9

You can send them a video of your swing on a regular basis.

October 20th, 2008, 10:46 pm #10

I have not tried Berthholy. i went through the TGM, Natural Golf, Heard Super Swing, BGG, Rotary Swing Golf and Hardy's one plane.

I used to have both Simple Swing and Graves dvds but sold them

When I shot my 78 I was trying to go back to Graves, but with a Instructor in Simple Swing being close I am torn as to what to do.
you do better with 'in person' instruction and the local guy is someone that will work for you (personal instruction is 'personal') then go with it. I think Graves would give you a better swing in the end but the optimum 'learning environment' is more important than the swing differences.

Peter