what swing type is everyone using here?

what swing type is everyone using here?

November 9th, 2009, 5:25 pm #1

I guess iwould like to takea poll form th guys who post here.

I have been here on and off for years. I read i quite abit but don' post much. I have been on th merry-go--round for years.

I know quite a few of you are using IMA

Are any of you still using SS

NG

S+T

Graves golf

?

?

Last edited by SATTHMS on November 9th, 2009, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 9th, 2009, 8:11 pm #2

Closest technique for me would be Graves Bros. I try to swing like Moe, and have developed most of it on my own.

November 9th, 2009, 8:32 pm #3

I have been here on and off for years. I read i quite abit but don' post much. I have been on th merry-go--round for years.

NG

S+T

Graves golf

?

?

C ommon
A bsolutes
F ound
I n
A ll
G reat
S wings method!

And yes, I know there are some here who will warn us to be "careful" - you can't really be so narrow and view the swing in such specific terms, but you can.

In fact the CAFIAGS method is actually the base starting point for any of the systems, methods, or style you choose. If you have CAFIAGS then any system will give you good ball striking, if you don't have CAFIAGS, none of them will yield good ball striking.

Thanks to Youtube, you can spend an evening and look at 100's of pro swings, and if you care to, identify those Absolutes. Once identified, the only thing left to do is practice those absolutes enough times so that they become part of your swing. Several here have redoubled their efforts doing this very thing and while still early - are already seeing positive results.

For this reason most all swing methods/systems fall short of this goal, and there are many here including myself who took to various methods and still did not "get it". Swing methods are the snake oil and bling of the golf instruction industry. The reason they are marketable is because people subscribe to the belief that it is the method that makes the swing - so they buy the DVD, attend the school, order the book.

What is missing is a lack of knowledge about what makes a swing truly effective and the necessary discipline, patience, and work to get that into your swing. Hence the merry go round.

In politics "it's the economy stupid". In golf swing it's the Absolutes. Get the Absolutes, then use whatever method you choose according to your preference. The Absolutes are the house...all houses must follow the same basic construction to have a solid structure. But the layout, the furnishings, the decorations, etc....these vary widely depending on the needs of those living there - that's your swing methods and styles. Violate the basic principles of good construction, and you will never have a solid building - but if you have a good solid structure, it doesn't matter how you furnish it and decorate it. The house will accommodate "whatever".

November 10th, 2009, 6:59 am #4

November 10th, 2009, 1:04 pm #5

They all are using the same method! :)What method do they use?

It also looks like you have access to the same catalog of swings I do!

I love pics like that, thanks for posting. The impact version of Bdog's Gallery!

November 10th, 2009, 3:15 pm #6

Herbert do you still se SS at all ?

I find my biggest problem has been with any swing I have tried is keeping my head back past impact like the pictures show.I always move my head forward before impact, and I just can't seem to get past this habit.

I know a lot of you have been doing the Bertholy programs. Does this help in this area ? I had a golf pro tell me until yu can get into this position at impact you will never hit the ball well and consistent. He said you have to be looking at the ball and where it was past impact.

November 10th, 2009, 4:34 pm #7

NG

S+T

Graves golf

?

?

I'm using Jim Hardy's 2 plane swing system (with some slight modifications due to a right knee replacement). The 2 plane works great for me. I'm using his two instructional books, haven't tried any of the instructional DVD's. Hope to get setup soon with video. I know video would be a great help.

AllenG

November 10th, 2009, 8:29 pm #8

Herbert do you still se SS at all ?

I find my biggest problem has been with any swing I have tried is keeping my head back past impact like the pictures show.I always move my head forward before impact, and I just can't seem to get past this habit.

I know a lot of you have been doing the Bertholy programs. Does this help in this area ? I had a golf pro tell me until yu can get into this position at impact you will never hit the ball well and consistent. He said you have to be looking at the ball and where it was past impact.
Satthms, you don't see any golfer who has a fine swing that doesn't look like those in Herbert's Impact Gallery. Most pro's have come by this position naturally over time as they have been swinging and playing since they were "knee high to a grasshopper" and figured it out "along the way".

For the rest of us, we must train to arrive at this position on a consistent basis. You simply must train yourself to arrive at this position over and over until you get it, and then some more until you can get it without having to think about it. Only then will it replace the bad habit you talked about it your post.

Anything that truly resides in you as a habit is with you for the rest of your life. The ole "once you ride a bike you never forget" principle. You don't "break an old habit" to use a well known phrase. You REPLACE the old habit with a NEW STRONGER one that with proper mental focus and direction, takes preeminence and operates as the new default standard in place of the older habit. The old habit now is subservient in force and function to the newer habit.

It is true old habits never die...but thankfully it is also true that new, better habits can be born, and replace those old habits.

November 11th, 2009, 12:15 am #9

They all are using the same method! :)What method do they use?

It also looks like you have access to the same catalog of swings I do!

I love pics like that, thanks for posting. The impact version of Bdog's Gallery!
It's fair to say they all demonstrate one same important requirement of a good swing. But they don't demonstrate the same swing or method IMO.

November 11th, 2009, 12:29 am #10

NG

S+T

Graves golf

?

?

I'm using IMA, as purely as I can. The only variation I'm knowingly making involves a bit more bend at the waist, which affects distance from the ball and the lead arm to chest connection. Similar to what Allen recently posted, I'm finding better success by not overdoing the amount of contact there. I have to stand quite upright to have a lot of connection. As long as I keep the arm in the right place, the results with my posture seem to be good. My build is similar to Allen's, so maybe that plays into it.

NG and GGA use different holds on the club, each method makes it harder for me to stay on plane. The IMA grip/hold is more on plane IMO, and requires no learned manipulation to stay there, if done right.

I would not doubt that GGA would give more distance than IMA for me. I can't turn as far as Scott H can. I think that's where he gets his distance. I can turn as far as Todd Graves does, and his grip/hold gets a bit of extra speed on the club. I'm pretty sure I could learn NG or GGA if I had to. But IMA really seems to suit me.