What's the latest "Hot Setup" Irons for Geezers

What's the latest "Hot Setup" Irons for Geezers

November 19th, 2011, 7:01 am #1

I was recently awarded 100% disability from the VA and I'm getting a sizable check from them every month. Also I now have access to military courses. Luke Air Force being one of them.

My Ping G2s are getting a little raggedy and long of tooth, so with the money burning a hole in my pocket I am thinking of getting a new set of irons.

What's the hot setup Geezer Irons out their right now? I'm leaning towards the Ping K15's with the 3, 4, and 5 irons hybrids, also I heard the Cobra S3's are great irons that give you an extra 1 to 2 club lengths in distance.

I also have a Ping Rapture driver that either needs to be reshafted (it's an Xstiff) and swings like a 2X4, or get a new driver. Whats the latest and greatest driver out there for old timers?

Golfsmith wants to give me $100. in trade in on my G2s, which are 3-PW & SW, and I think that isn't too great a deal?

Last edited by Chazman on November 19th, 2011, 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 19th, 2011, 2:15 pm #2

Chaz just get these why make it more difficult?
http://www.griagolf.com/

November 19th, 2011, 2:16 pm #3

I was recently awarded 100% disability from the VA and I'm getting a sizable check from them every month. Also I now have access to military courses. Luke Air Force being one of them.

My Ping G2s are getting a little raggedy and long of tooth, so with the money burning a hole in my pocket I am thinking of getting a new set of irons.

What's the hot setup Geezer Irons out their right now? I'm leaning towards the Ping K15's with the 3, 4, and 5 irons hybrids, also I heard the Cobra S3's are great irons that give you an extra 1 to 2 club lengths in distance.

I also have a Ping Rapture driver that either needs to be reshafted (it's an Xstiff) and swings like a 2X4, or get a new driver. Whats the latest and greatest driver out there for old timers?

Golfsmith wants to give me $100. in trade in on my G2s, which are 3-PW & SW, and I think that isn't too great a deal?

I'm a long time "lurker" here. I remember the days when you posted here quite often. I use to live in Prescott, and am now living in Chandler. I see you are still living in the Valley.

I'm also a retired "hacker", playing golf once or twice a week. I've been using Ping G2 irons and a Rapture driver, with a mixture of hybrid irons. Love those hybrids. A guy I play with occasionally has recently bought Ping G15 irons, driver, and 4 wood. He loves these clubs. He got fitted for the clubs at the Ping factory in the West valley. He hits his long irons well, so has not ventured into using hybrids.

I think the Pings are great equipment. Someday when I get the funds together for new clubs, I'll probably go with Pings again. Good luck with your search. If you decide to go with Ping equipment, I would suggest a trip to the Ping factory for a plant tour and club fitting.

AllenG

November 19th, 2011, 5:48 pm #4

Chaz just get these why make it more difficult?
http://www.griagolf.com/
That bit in the advertisement that say's "Clubs won't be out till 2012 in stores, but you can buy them now" scares the hell out of me. I have bit on that bait before, never again.

November 19th, 2011, 5:52 pm #5

I'm a long time "lurker" here. I remember the days when you posted here quite often. I use to live in Prescott, and am now living in Chandler. I see you are still living in the Valley.

I'm also a retired "hacker", playing golf once or twice a week. I've been using Ping G2 irons and a Rapture driver, with a mixture of hybrid irons. Love those hybrids. A guy I play with occasionally has recently bought Ping G15 irons, driver, and 4 wood. He loves these clubs. He got fitted for the clubs at the Ping factory in the West valley. He hits his long irons well, so has not ventured into using hybrids.

I think the Pings are great equipment. Someday when I get the funds together for new clubs, I'll probably go with Pings again. Good luck with your search. If you decide to go with Ping equipment, I would suggest a trip to the Ping factory for a plant tour and club fitting.

AllenG
I live in Surprise. I have been to the Ping factory and was club fit a few years ago, I don't know if that fitting (black dot) still applies or not??

That's a good question, can your fit for a club change?

November 23rd, 2011, 10:17 pm #6

Its called the lady's T's

November 25th, 2011, 12:56 am #7

Let me understand... you are now receiving 100% (sizable) VA disability that will now afford you to spend some of that government money on golf clubs.

In your post above you say... "I'm 65, overweight, but still amazingly flexible, no aches, no pains, no bad hips, knees, shoulders, back or elbows. Golf has never put a hurt on my body playing".

You don't sound like someone who needs a VA disability check. Spending Veteran funds on golf clubs???

November 25th, 2011, 5:12 am #8

I'm a Marine Viet Nam Vet, I have heart disease, diabetes, neurapathy, hypertension all directly related to exposure to Agent Orange, I also have hearing loss (blown out eardrums). I take 12 different pills a day to keep all these maladies in check.

You don't have to be a wheel chair case to be VA 100% disabled, in fact there are plenty of guys getting 100% for Post Stress Disorder that could probably run marathons!

Just who in the hell are you to be deciding how I should be spending my money? You ever been in combat for this country?
Last edited by Chazman on November 25th, 2011, 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 25th, 2011, 11:51 am #9

Let me understand... you are now receiving 100% (sizable) VA disability that will now afford you to spend some of that government money on golf clubs.

In your post above you say... "I'm 65, overweight, but still amazingly flexible, no aches, no pains, no bad hips, knees, shoulders, back or elbows. Golf has never put a hurt on my body playing".

You don't sound like someone who needs a VA disability check. Spending Veteran funds on golf clubs???

Thanks for your service in Vietnam Chazman. Everyone should be required to do Military service in our country so they would not be so quick to judge other's situations.

November 25th, 2011, 1:57 pm #10

Hey, Don, your insinuations are extremely uncalled for. Not all wounds are visible nor do they leave one physically crippled but they are very real and debilitating nonetheless. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume (I know, bad word) that you are not a vet or if you were that you never saw combat. When I fist read your comment I figured I would just pass it by with no comment but then the more I thought about it the more I realized it was coming from ignorance (a word which isn't an insult). Nothing can be done for stupid but ignorance can be educated. My suggestion for you is to go to you nearest VA hospital and ask them for a tour. Take a look at all of the vets you will see there from WWII all the way to recently returning vets from Iraq and Afghanistan with Korean and Vietnam in the middle. Many of them will be confined to beds or wheelchairs but many of them will be walking around with nothing that would indicate anything is wrong with them on the surface. It's only when you can look inside them and try to halfway understand what they have gone through that you will begin to realize the uncaring and lack of compassion and appreciation your post displays. When the vet comes home the war comes home with him. It belongs to him for the rest of his life, physically and emotionally. Try to remember that the next time you post a comment concerning one.