Vets of this Forum

Vets of this Forum

May 6th, 2010, 10:28 am #1

This forum has been running a long time I think 9 or 10 years (Peter You can correct me here).It was started by those interested in Moe Norman and his Golf Swing.After all of this time is there anyone on this forum who feels they actually swing like Moe? If so have you had any success (Which can mean anything break 100 shoot my age make a birdie)? For the experts what do you feel are somethings that we can take from Moe and use them in our swings for those who don't model themself after Moe.Is Moes swing easier more repeatable and less stressfull on the body? I would like to here from all those who model there swing after Moe.
Last edited by IMALongballer on May 7th, 2010, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2010, 12:14 pm #2

I don't have the goal of swinging exactly like Moe. The first question would be, which Moe? But I definitely do swing "like Moe" versus like a conventional golfer. I set up, grip, and try to swing like Moe in general.

I'm sure my swing is full of small flaws. Yet, I've had great success with it. I'm very satisfied.

More repeatable: Yes.

Easier to learn: Yes, in the respect that it is easier to get started with it. A beginner won't master it, but they will get off to a better start. And going forward, each improvment is easier to build into their game. I feel I'm at a point where I have the basics (usually) under control and now I can work on the fine points. At this point I find it much easier to troubleshoot than a CG swing, too.

Easier on the body: Definitely. But that took a long time. The closer I got to the "model", the easier on the body the swing was. I also learned to swing at less than 100% for most shots, and that helps.

Successful: Yes! I shot 72 last year on a par 71 of average difficulty. I shoot a lot of nines in the 30's (I play 9 more often than 18). And I don't put a lot of time into practice or play. With CG, I was a 90's shooter. Now I'm going to finally work on my short game, which is my biggest weakness.

Distance: I gained distance on drives, due to better quality hits. Short irons I actually lost almost a club, though! But now I can hit the whole bag, which more than makes up for the short iron thing.

I have to run but I will post again in answer to your question about what might apply to a non-Moe swing. I do think there are a few things.

May 6th, 2010, 2:27 pm #3

This forum has been running a long time I think 9 or 10 years (Peter You can correct me here).It was started by those interested in Moe Norman and his Golf Swing.After all of this time is there anyone on this forum who feels they actually swing like Moe? If so have you had any success (Which can mean anything break 100 shoot my age make a birdie)? For the experts what do you feel are somethings that we can take from Moe and use them in our swings for those who don't model themself after Moe.Is Moes swing easier more repeatable and less stressfull on the body? I would like to here from all those who model there swing after Moe.
My scores dropped immediately upon starting SA (using NG, and not very well). I would say that most of the improvement came from the straight line setup, and reduction in leg action.

The straight line setup leads to a more consistent shot direction, IMO. On the tour, there are starting to be players setting up close to straight line. Brian Gay comes to mind but there are others too. And they are accurate players.

My CG pro had been suggesting but not insisting that I quiet down my happy feet. I never did until I got into SA, and it still took a while. I think it makes a big difference. A CG swing demands so much as far as timing, due to the extent of the movements.

Shorter backswing, for same reasons. Basically anything that simplifies the swing and takes out wasted motion is a help to the average golfer.

May 6th, 2010, 3:38 pm #4

I've been a member of this forum since 2000 as you can see in my signature. I found this forum after trying NG, LPG, and finally IMA which I still practice today. I would say that I model my swing after the young Moe Norman. Scott Hazeldine presented us with many pictures of the young Moe Norman (which I still have) in his IMA class and it was nearly identical to what Scott was teaching. And like Moe, I eventually turned to Bertholy. IMHO, the SA grip provides an advantage over CG. Everything else is mostly the same.

I could never figure out why anybody would want to model their swing after the old, overweight, inflexible Moe.

May 6th, 2010, 9:56 pm #5

The forum was not started because some were unhappy with NG but rather that some were unhappy about the restrictions of the NG forum - specifically that discussions of other typws of SA golf inspired by Moe (IMA, BGG...) was not welcome there.

Peter

gsw

May 7th, 2010, 5:43 pm #6

I've been a member of this forum since 2000 as you can see in my signature. I found this forum after trying NG, LPG, and finally IMA which I still practice today. I would say that I model my swing after the young Moe Norman. Scott Hazeldine presented us with many pictures of the young Moe Norman (which I still have) in his IMA class and it was nearly identical to what Scott was teaching. And like Moe, I eventually turned to Bertholy. IMHO, the SA grip provides an advantage over CG. Everything else is mostly the same.

I could never figure out why anybody would want to model their swing after the old, overweight, inflexible Moe.

Allen

The answer to your question is that some of us are old, overweight and inflexible like Moe was in his later years. I am not overweight, I am 6 foot one inch tall and weigh 180 pounds, however I sure am inflexible due to multiple spine fusions and I will be 57 this month. I simply cannot swing the golf club like Scott Hazeldine does so I dont try. I see your point when it is applied to a normal young golfer. I used IMA and BGG before my spine decided that I could not twist anymore. Your are right on when you say that the young Moe swing is better than the old Moe swing for normal persons.

Stan

May 7th, 2010, 6:34 pm #7

qualified my response to say that I don't understand why anyone without physical limitations would want to emulate the older Moe. I meant no offense Stan. However, I would point out that age does not have to be a factor in swing style ... again, barring any physical limitations due to injury or degenerative diseases.

It is my understanding that many of the "Moe'ites" try to copy Moe lock-stock and barrel just because they are trying to capture the magic that was Moe, not because they are physically impaired. And that most of these disciples only have access to his later day style which was limited by his poor physical conditioning, not injury or degenerative disease.

May 7th, 2010, 7:37 pm #8

Moe did not have flexibility problems that would lead to early extension. I bet that he would have done well on the tests on the TPI site even at an advanced age.
http://www.mytpi.com/mytpi05/Swing/swin ... tab=causes

Todd Graves on the other hand probably does have flexibility issues that lead to his loss of spine angle at impact.

It is interesting to find out that the swing problems or errors that some of us work so hard to correct are caused by physical limitations and not by lack of rigorous training and drilling. It seems in my case that unless I increase my hip flexibility I am doomed to early extension and hip sway on the backswing and lower back pain. I can fight those things and make them 'better' but will always drift back towards the swing that my limited flexibility demands.

For instance I am able to make a closer to correct swing using my body with really loose arms and I pick up one or two clubs in distance but it kills my back to do it. It is a really great feeling to hit the ball and know that I am using close to all that got. The feeling is intoxicating and finding my tee shots in places that I have not visited in 25 years is nice also. But using that swing in my current physical condition means that I can only play and practice maybe once a week...

I gotta to figure this out!

Regards, Herbert

May 8th, 2010, 3:15 am #9

Dr Wells research indicates that core strength fitness, once thought to be a key to distance, wasn't found to contribute significantly to distance. He did however establish a correlation between core strength and lower back pain. Those who were more fit and stronger in their core had less lower back pain/problems than those that weren't as fit in their core. Might wanna look into exercises that strengthen your core.

I have lower back pain after I have a long short game session or when I am on my regular practice schedule after a few days off. I just do my stretches and the Total Motion Release exercises and it goes away...I love that treat the good side stuff.

Kevin

"A Blueprint For Golf Excellence"

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

gsw

May 8th, 2010, 4:05 am #10

Thanks for that advice about core strength, I do core strengthen exercises ever day. It does help me but my poor spine structure cannot be rebuilt with just exercise. I do believe that exercise and strength training is very important to not only better golf but also to a better life.

Stan