Trahan

Trahan

August 30th, 2009, 5:02 pm #1

This is incredible to me:
http://www.peakperformancegolfswing.com ... st-breaks/

Here is a picture of DJ Trahan with a straight line from the lead arm to the clubhead????

I tried to send the question with the picture to Trahan but the image was blocked so I guess that I will just post it hear. Does anybody understand what in the world Don Trahan is talking about?

Regards, Herbert

gsw

August 31st, 2009, 2:48 am #2

He claims that the club head is a rock at the end of a string. The club shaft is the string and the club head is the rock. He claims that if you take the club head back to three quarters that the club head is the farthest away from the ball as it can get and if you go past three quarters that you actually shorten the radius of the swing. I agree with Dons assessment of the back swing, I also think that any back swing past three quarters is a waste of time.

Don Trahan knows what he is talking about. He is a very good golf instructor.

Stan

August 31st, 2009, 5:25 am #3

Make the clubhead your rock, the shaft and your left arm the string. To achieve maximum centrifugal force, which equals clubhead speed, you must keep the shaft, left arm and wrists STRAIGHT. Yes, you can allow the pull of the club to stretch and flex the muscles of the arm at the joints, but DONT bend the elbow and wrist,

He may be a good instructor but that statement does not seem to be in line with the facts...

Regards, Herbert

August 31st, 2009, 2:14 pm #4

He claims that the club head is a rock at the end of a string. The club shaft is the string and the club head is the rock. He claims that if you take the club head back to three quarters that the club head is the farthest away from the ball as it can get and if you go past three quarters that you actually shorten the radius of the swing. I agree with Dons assessment of the back swing, I also think that any back swing past three quarters is a waste of time.

Stan
The man's tips definitely helped me with my game. Right now, I really don't follow any other advice other than D. Trahan. I will continue to adhere to his swing philosophy until it fails. So far, every Trahan idea that I implemented has really worked well for me.

I would definitely would recommend to the higher handicapper such as myself give his technique some serious consideration.

August 31st, 2009, 3:57 pm #5

This is incredible to me:
http://www.peakperformancegolfswing.com ... st-breaks/

Here is a picture of DJ Trahan with a straight line from the lead arm to the clubhead????

I tried to send the question with the picture to Trahan but the image was blocked so I guess that I will just post it hear. Does anybody understand what in the world Don Trahan is talking about?

Regards, Herbert
I've made next to no effort to look at his method, but I'm sure he is not advocating one straight line from lead shoulder to clubhead during the loading part of the backswing. No matter what he says. It must be poor communication or require more context.

It does sound as though he advocates a straight lead arm.

August 31st, 2009, 4:05 pm #6

Stan
I agree with you for a hit swing, like most if not all SA golfers employ. For a swinger, it might be different. Some guys like Allen here and Scott Hazledine have a lot of flexibility and can go longer. I think it is still a hit, but with more travel. I think the point of diminishing returns is farther for a swinger than a hitter in any event.

Anything beyond 3/4 is a crapshoot for me. Not to mention hard on my body.

I've understood Trahan to be about maximum swing with very little turn. Is that about right?

September 1st, 2009, 1:55 pm #7

The term "backswing" is very general and non descriptive. I mean, what does a "full back swing" really mean? Does it mean you turn more than 90% or is it the club parallel at the top? I can give a brief description of Trahan's advice of the back swing.

* Lower body still, stance narrow, pressure of knees thigh is out (like riding a skinny horse)
* the back swing is a 70 degree turn.
* Put club into the "catcher's mitt" and then raise your hand/arms straight up (up the tree).

(note: these are tips freely given on his website.)