Took a few swings for new year

Took a few swings for new year

January 6th, 2009, 4:17 am #1

January 6th, 2009, 6:28 am #2

Hello Todd,

It appears to me that your spine angle changes a bit more then Moe's did coming into impact. Your back appears to be bit less straight. I noticed this because I shot some down the line video of my own swing as was horrified to see how much I did this. I am really hunched over at the top and straight up and down with my lower back. I tried to 'correct' this and I found that doing so killed my lower back. If tried to swing like that I could not hit very many shots each day.
Here is a look at you vs Moe:

This situation made me feel rather badly until I looked at photos of some other golfers and saw that they did the same thing. So I guess that it is ok?
Here is a look at Jack Nicklaus:

January 6th, 2009, 12:29 pm #3

Is how much Moe drops in the downswing as opposed to Todd
and that could account for the spine angle thing too.

January 6th, 2009, 2:27 pm #4

Hello Todd,

It appears to me that your spine angle changes a bit more then Moe's did coming into impact. Your back appears to be bit less straight. I noticed this because I shot some down the line video of my own swing as was horrified to see how much I did this. I am really hunched over at the top and straight up and down with my lower back. I tried to 'correct' this and I found that doing so killed my lower back. If tried to swing like that I could not hit very many shots each day.
Here is a look at you vs Moe:

This situation made me feel rather badly until I looked at photos of some other golfers and saw that they did the same thing. So I guess that it is ok?
Here is a look at Jack Nicklaus:
I would pay more attention to club shaft movement as long as you can plane the golf club. Of course the younger pictures of Moe are much different than the pictures you are showing here.

The only way you will be able to get the spine to look like Moe's is to close your stance (feet) which will keep the right hip back thus keeping the spine back.

You need to be careful when you look at those pictures of Moe when he was older. Also, the pics you see of Moe with a "closed" driver stance will show a different spine position than if you actually square the feet.

Once again, there is no indication on your photos of Moe where he is aligned.

This is why you can over-analyze pictures. Once again, paying attention to swing plane and correct club and clubface movement is the most important thing.

As far as the closed feet, Moe closed his feet more as he got older. Why? His body changed, his swing got shorter, he moved his body less but the most important fact is that Moe still moved the club on plane.

I will shoot some video with a closed stance to show you the spine difference.

Todd

January 6th, 2009, 5:53 pm #5

driver, besides moving the club head several inches behind the
ball, the club head looks like it's
set down past the outside of the ball.

Is that correct or is it the camera angle?
If it is correct, why do you and Moe do it?

JC

January 7th, 2009, 11:58 pm #6

The behind the ball issue

By setting the club behind the ball, I form a relationship with the handle to just above the lead hip (where it will be at impact).

In order to keep the club on plane (what I call mid-spine Intersect), I must place the club body centered as Moe did. By doing so, this helps me swing the club on plane and maintain the handle relationship throughout my golf swing. I found it the easiest way to move the club back and then back to impact.

Outside the ball issue

From address to impact there is a different distance from the lead shoulder to club head when you swing. By setting the club slightly on the outside, this spacing accommodates this distance issue.

Todd

Last edited by Tgraves on January 8th, 2009, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 8th, 2009, 8:15 pm #7

At address I have to have the club a full face length in front of the target line, or else I hit everything off the toe.

Moe played it outside the target lie too, didn't he?

January 9th, 2009, 5:22 am #8

Took this of Moe 5 or 6 years ago while practicing with him.

Todd

January 9th, 2009, 6:27 pm #9

At address I have to have the club a full face length in front of the target line, or else I hit everything off the toe.

Moe played it outside the target lie too, didn't he?
something you just discovered?
if so how are you hitting the ball?

JC

January 9th, 2009, 6:42 pm #10

Took this of Moe 5 or 6 years ago while practicing with him.

Todd
swings something that will work?
The only player i remember doing that is Fuzzy Zellor,
and did it- according to Ken Ventury, because
of a swing fault- standing up out of his posture on
the down swing.

If this works for Mr Chazman that would be great!!

JC