Too much shoulder turn = bad golf shots

Too much shoulder turn = bad golf shots

gsw

August 9th, 2012, 5:53 pm #1

My golf game started to slip a bit a few weeks ago and I really did not know why. A few days ago while playing golf with one of my friends he made the comment after I hit a 90 yard wedge shot pin high but about 20 feet left of the hole " Stan you made a full shoulder turn on that shot" I immediately knew what was going wrong with my swing. My swing goes bad if I make a shoulder turn. I know that is the opposite of what happens in a normal good golf swing but for my swing which I have posted here before any turning of the shoulders in the back swing causes inconsistency in my downswing and the ball goes everywhere but where I want it to go. I have been working on my static setup and top of swing positions since my friend told me about the shoulder turn and my game is coming back around.

Stan

August 10th, 2012, 2:47 pm #2

Yes, it sounds as if you are "over swinging" with your wedges. When I do that it almost always leads to a pull to the left. When I watch tour players hit wedges,it seems they are seldom giving 100% effort and they don't finish on the toe of their trail foot;they seem to finish with the trail foot just slightly raised.

Cheers,Bob
KLEX - USA
USDA Zone 6b

Regards,
Bob

August 11th, 2012, 8:13 pm #3

My golf game started to slip a bit a few weeks ago and I really did not know why. A few days ago while playing golf with one of my friends he made the comment after I hit a 90 yard wedge shot pin high but about 20 feet left of the hole " Stan you made a full shoulder turn on that shot" I immediately knew what was going wrong with my swing. My swing goes bad if I make a shoulder turn. I know that is the opposite of what happens in a normal good golf swing but for my swing which I have posted here before any turning of the shoulders in the back swing causes inconsistency in my downswing and the ball goes everywhere but where I want it to go. I have been working on my static setup and top of swing positions since my friend told me about the shoulder turn and my game is coming back around.

Stan
isn't a full shoulder turn. The problem is sequencing the swing properly with that big turn. If your turn em back, you gotta turn em through...

As you probably are aware, I was an advocate of a big "full" shoulder turn. I was pretty long...but also pretty wild. About a year ago, I injured my back, and switched to MGS which advocates a pre-set twist of the torso at address, and no active turning back or through of the shoulders to move the club. Here is a short compilation of my minimal shoulder turn swings, some of which are SA, some not, but in every case you see much less shoulder action form me in these swings.

Truth be told, I have lost about 5-10 mph clubhead speed, but I still am just about as long, and lots more accurate:

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="360"></embed></object>

Kevin
The Authentic Golfer
A Blueprint For Golf Excellence
The MGS Approach
The MGS Forum

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!
Last edited by mcirishman57 on August 12th, 2012, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 12th, 2012, 1:45 pm #4

Making a full turn in the backswing can result in wild shots unless one has superb "sequencing"?

August 12th, 2012, 5:22 pm #5

but that is probably only true for me .

So for me what happens, is I try and make a full turn back - and I can do it - but then the shoulders have to come back from that big turn....it's just hard for me to time everything. A bigger wind up means a bigger unwind down.

I am not Tiger Woods..or Jamie...or JD....and not a lot of time to practice.

Years ago, when I played tennis, I was a big fan of John McEnroe. To serve, he would bend way down with his racket almost touching the ground, then he would rock, up into his toss as he arched his back, dropped his racket behind him, and then snapped his body, then his arms up and into his serve. I tried to imitate him for years and served pretty well when I "was on". But even at age 22 and playing four times a week it was hard on my back, and my first serve % was low.

One day I was watching a guy at the club serve, and he would just drop his racket behind his back, lift his arm up til it could go no higher and release the ball, and just snap the racket up and through the serve. Very simple. I tried it that day at practice and after some getting used to, was able to really improve my first serve % and had much more control on my serve. I lost some MPH, but actually improved on my number of aces and found that I didn't have to change my second serve action as much.

The point is, for me a simpler, more toned down motion has worked wonders for my swing, and my 55 year old back has never felt better.

I know the conventional wisdom says make that big turn, but most of us "weekend warriors", with limited practice time, would be better off by finding a simpler way to repeat putting "this dumb thing (club) on that dumb thing(ball)".

That's all...

Kevin
The Authentic Golfer
A Blueprint For Golf Excellence
The MGS Approach
The MGS Forum

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!