Tommy Gainey update

Tommy Gainey update

April 15th, 2012, 5:38 pm #1

I recall the conversation about Tommy G swinging much like HSS. Today I was watching the early coverage of the final round of the PGA event. They showed Tommy and remarked that he has been plagued by wrist injuries this year. Isn't that problem common of HSS?

April 15th, 2012, 11:11 pm #2

It can be a problem with any swing that uses a very strong grip and you hold off the release too long. I have looked at Tommy's swing in slow motion and imo he does just that. I don't believe his swing is anything like HSS though, except for the very strong grip. Another oddity of his grip is that his left thumb is wrapped around the grip, not down the side of the grip. His swing is home grown and I doubt anybody could copy it. I hope his injury will not be a recurring one. I really like Tommy and hope to see him win someday.

April 16th, 2012, 1:52 pm #3

I recall the conversation about Tommy G swinging much like HSS. Today I was watching the early coverage of the final round of the PGA event. They showed Tommy and remarked that he has been plagued by wrist injuries this year. Isn't that problem common of HSS?
This is a swing vision of Tommy's hands/grip. There are other videos of his swing on this page to the right as well. It will give you a really good look at just how different his grip and moves are. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbGzxE7P0bI

gsw

April 17th, 2012, 6:55 pm #4

Jerry thanks for the link to Tommys swing. I absolutely love his swing it is simply hitting a golf ball with a baseball swing. Tommy really does create a log of lag and holds the angle very well.

Stan

April 17th, 2012, 8:35 pm #5

I agree, he does maintain the lag. But because of the super strong grip he has to hold off on the release for a long time or he will hook the ball. In this regard I would say he's similar to HSS or any other swing with a very strong grip. I think the strong grip is an asset for distance as long as you can hold off releasing the club. I sure don't know what happened to him on Sunday. Started the day tied for 8th, I believe, and totally lost it. I think he shot 80. Hope he gets things going soon as I really like him and hope to see him do well. I think he mentioned once, probably on Big Break, that his swing is largely a result of playing baseball. Showed a video of his dad too and their swings are similar so I guess that's where he got some of it too.