Tommy Gainey and HSS

Tommy Gainey and HSS

August 29th, 2011, 2:56 pm #1

I was digitizing some video of recent events I had on my DVR (BTW - Save anything you want on your DVR to other media because if your DVR craps out like one of mine did then you loose the programs) and I noticed something interesting about Tommy Gainey - he is nearly a model for HSS. He presets his weight on his trail foot ala HSS. Is is pretty much SA aligned at address:

But the really amazing thing is the minimal rotation of his lead and trail forearms through impact resulting in this impact position:

It is also well after impact before there is any significant lead arm rotation.

I doubt Tommy Gainey ever heard of HSS but he exhibits the key characteristics. Jerry Heard never used his swing but on tour (I saw him at a senior tour event) but Tommy Gainey is making something very like it work pretty well.

Peter

August 29th, 2011, 3:17 pm #2

I've thought that as well since I've been following him since the first Big Break he was on. I have several friends who know him well and one of them has done some caddying for him in the past. He used to work at a course where I live and played quite a bit around the area. The stories some of the guys tell about him, especially his length off the tee, are impressive. I would love to meet him someday. Anyway, back to the point. I've been told by people who know him that his lead hand grip has the thumb wrapped around the club instead of extending down the grip. I think he said it was because he played a lot of baseball. Same with wearing two gloves. He sure had a great year and has proven, imo, that his swing will definitely hold up under pressure. Just a matter of time before his win comes, I think.

August 29th, 2011, 6:10 pm #3

followed him since the Big Break where I thought he was definitely the best that season. I've waited for the high frame rate video of him. I could see his swing was unusual but had not seen how much so until I saw the high frame rate video.

He was long off the tee but not exceptionally so vs the others in the tournament but the 180 yard 9-iron with no particular wind and the green about level with his position was REALLY exceptional.

There would be no hooking problem with HSS if you achieved his impact position. I think Heard would have done better teaching more of a Gainey impact position vs the more normal position illustrated in his materials.

Peter
Last edited by sagf_moderator on August 29th, 2011, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 29th, 2011, 7:36 pm #4

I'm not familiar with the Bainey impact position-I'll have to look that up. I'm sure these days that most of those guys on tour can hit it far. Doubt there's a lot of distance difference between the long ball hitters out there. But there's a story that still gets told about Gainey around here. At the local muni they have a Monday night blitz all through the summer. It's a nine hole Captain's Choice with two 4 man teams paired up in a shotgun start. Hole 7 is a short par 5 that has a water hazard all the way across the fairway. It takes probably a 350 +/- yard carry at least to clear it but he did it one night. I think they had about 70 yards left to the green. I'm sure there are quite a few tour players who could do that but locally not many. I personally know only two or three guys (amateurs) around here who could maybe do it. I wish I had been there that night to see it. I'm surrounded by great courses that host lots of PGA/LPGA events and over the years I've had tickets given to me but I have never been to even one. Same with the Masters and it's not too far away either. I'm going to have to break down and go to one as everyone says until you see them in person you really can't appreciate just how good the pros are. The Nationwide Tour will end their season here again at Daniel Island so maybe I'll go over there.

August 29th, 2011, 10:04 pm #5

I was digitizing some video of recent events I had on my DVR (BTW - Save anything you want on your DVR to other media because if your DVR craps out like one of mine did then you loose the programs) and I noticed something interesting about Tommy Gainey - he is nearly a model for HSS. He presets his weight on his trail foot ala HSS. Is is pretty much SA aligned at address:

But the really amazing thing is the minimal rotation of his lead and trail forearms through impact resulting in this impact position:

I doubt Tommy Gainey ever heard of HSS but he exhibits the key characteristics. Jerry Heard never used his swing but on tour (I saw him at a senior tour event) but Tommy Gainey is making something very like it work pretty well.

Peter
Is that the same event that Carl Pettersson was in contention? They did a Peter Kostis swing vision analysis of his. I still say he is SA. Just wondering if you have footage of him recorded too.

August 29th, 2011, 10:24 pm #6

I'm not familiar with the Bainey impact position-I'll have to look that up. I'm sure these days that most of those guys on tour can hit it far. Doubt there's a lot of distance difference between the long ball hitters out there. But there's a story that still gets told about Gainey around here. At the local muni they have a Monday night blitz all through the summer. It's a nine hole Captain's Choice with two 4 man teams paired up in a shotgun start. Hole 7 is a short par 5 that has a water hazard all the way across the fairway. It takes probably a 350 +/- yard carry at least to clear it but he did it one night. I think they had about 70 yards left to the green. I'm sure there are quite a few tour players who could do that but locally not many. I personally know only two or three guys (amateurs) around here who could maybe do it. I wish I had been there that night to see it. I'm surrounded by great courses that host lots of PGA/LPGA events and over the years I've had tickets given to me but I have never been to even one. Same with the Masters and it's not too far away either. I'm going to have to break down and go to one as everyone says until you see them in person you really can't appreciate just how good the pros are. The Nationwide Tour will end their season here again at Daniel Island so maybe I'll go over there.
I meant 'Gainey impact position' as in Tommy Gainey. Typo (now corrected).

Definitely go to a tour event. Hang around the range at any tour event and you'll get the 'feel' for proper impact. On the course short game is very noticeable. Inside 100 yards they are most often close enough to the pin for a realistic chance to hole the putt.

If you can attend a US Open sectional qualifier. These have tour pros that did not qualify out right as well as club pros and top ams. The advantage I've found with these is no ropes. You walk in the fairway behind the golfers and can see the shape of every shot. Also the galleries are small - I walked most of a round with Jeev Milkha Singh (European Tour) and the 'gallery' for his group of 3 was me and his girlfriend. Other than when Michele Wie tried to qualify (where suddenly there were ropes) the biggest gallery I've experienced was 10-20 for a group.

Peter

August 29th, 2011, 11:04 pm #7

Is that the same event that Carl Pettersson was in contention? They did a Peter Kostis swing vision analysis of his. I still say he is SA. Just wondering if you have footage of him recorded too.
Pettersson has a number of SA features in his swing including club-trail forearm alignment at address and a trail foot that rolls before the heel comes up. The other key can't be seen just in video and that is the source of lead forearm rotation:

Peter

August 29th, 2011, 11:49 pm #8

I meant 'Gainey impact position' as in Tommy Gainey. Typo (now corrected).

Definitely go to a tour event. Hang around the range at any tour event and you'll get the 'feel' for proper impact. On the course short game is very noticeable. Inside 100 yards they are most often close enough to the pin for a realistic chance to hole the putt.

If you can attend a US Open sectional qualifier. These have tour pros that did not qualify out right as well as club pros and top ams. The advantage I've found with these is no ropes. You walk in the fairway behind the golfers and can see the shape of every shot. Also the galleries are small - I walked most of a round with Jeev Milkha Singh (European Tour) and the 'gallery' for his group of 3 was me and his girlfriend. Other than when Michele Wie tried to qualify (where suddenly there were ropes) the biggest gallery I've experienced was 10-20 for a group.

Peter
Thanks for that clarification on "the bainey impact" because I would probably have spent half the night trying to google it, lol. I know a couple of guys who tried to qualify for the US Open this year. Not even close. No disrespect to them as they are really good golfers but I don't think "good" will cut it. If you don't have the game to go to any course in the country and potentially shoot in the 60's I doubt that you are ready for the Open. I'll take your advice on the sectional qualifiers next year. I'm sure there will be one somewhere not too far away. I really do want to see in person what a great golfer looks like and what the ball flight looks like. You just can't get a feel for it on tv. btw, I'm not sure about Tommy's grip looking at your photos. I thought he used a ten finger grip but it really looks kind of like a reverse overlap in that face on photo. What do you think?

August 29th, 2011, 11:57 pm #9

Peter
Love that swing, thanks Peter! Got anymore of Tommy? n/t

August 30th, 2011, 3:24 am #10

Thanks for that clarification on "the bainey impact" because I would probably have spent half the night trying to google it, lol. I know a couple of guys who tried to qualify for the US Open this year. Not even close. No disrespect to them as they are really good golfers but I don't think "good" will cut it. If you don't have the game to go to any course in the country and potentially shoot in the 60's I doubt that you are ready for the Open. I'll take your advice on the sectional qualifiers next year. I'm sure there will be one somewhere not too far away. I really do want to see in person what a great golfer looks like and what the ball flight looks like. You just can't get a feel for it on tv. btw, I'm not sure about Tommy's grip looking at your photos. I thought he used a ten finger grip but it really looks kind of like a reverse overlap in that face on photo. What do you think?
It's a 10 finger grip with no lead thumb on the club and a 'trigger finger' index finger for both hands:

Peter