Time to re-shaft?

Time to re-shaft?

July 9th, 2011, 5:44 am #1

Anybody tried the Nunchuck shaft?
http://www.nventix.com/store/

I hit one when I was at Golflab a while back. I did not really like the feel all that much but I was not swinging very well at the time... The radar system showed a more consistent hit though. Leith said that everyone who demoed a driver with the Nunchuck loved it wanted to keep it.

I really want to get one but the price is a little high... Stuff that I have read on other forums sounds really positive amazingly so actually.

Regards, Herbert
Last edited by gHerbert on July 9th, 2011, 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 9th, 2011, 8:18 pm #2

I advise a filament wound shaft which will have the least 'epine' effect.

Peter

July 9th, 2011, 9:26 pm #3

Nunchuck shaft is extremely butt and tip stiff with all the flex in the middle. Only one shaft flex that will fit 50mph grandma and 140mph grandson.

'Experts' all say baloney until they try it. Trackman data shows much tighter dispersion and playing it shows the same.

Close to zero shaft droop and no tip kick through the ball to time. It was invented by Gerry Hogan I believe in 1981. The new version has a .335 tip and the old one had a .370 tip I believe. The shaft is patented. LOL you better get one Mr. equipment junky!

Regards, Herbert

July 9th, 2011, 11:32 pm #4

Anybody tried the Nunchuck shaft?
http://www.nventix.com/store/

I hit one when I was at Golflab a while back. I did not really like the feel all that much but I was not swinging very well at the time... The radar system showed a more consistent hit though. Leith said that everyone who demoed a driver with the Nunchuck loved it wanted to keep it.

I really want to get one but the price is a little high... Stuff that I have read on other forums sounds really positive amazingly so actually.

Regards, Herbert
I have a friend who has one. He's a very good player. He wrote good things about it in one of the forums, but he's no longer using it. So I dunno. I'll ask him.

July 9th, 2011, 11:38 pm #5

I advise a filament wound shaft which will have the least 'epine' effect.

Peter
They are definitely consistent from a club building point of view. I think though that it is felt in the industry that it is hard to design them to get high performance out of them in the ways they can do with sheet wrapped shafts. This is just an impression I've gotten over the years, I'm not stating it as fact.

Spines have become a lot weaker and of less concern in the past few years in the shafts I've worked with. I still do spine and flo, though. Right now I'm messing with an adjustable driver, and changing the shaft orientation throws a wrench in the spine and flo thing for sure. But the shafts are just not too bad, so I got over it.

July 10th, 2011, 1:53 am #6

Nunchuck shaft is extremely butt and tip stiff with all the flex in the middle. Only one shaft flex that will fit 50mph grandma and 140mph grandson.

'Experts' all say baloney until they try it. Trackman data shows much tighter dispersion and playing it shows the same.

Close to zero shaft droop and no tip kick through the ball to time. It was invented by Gerry Hogan I believe in 1981. The new version has a .335 tip and the old one had a .370 tip I believe. The shaft is patented. LOL you better get one Mr. equipment junky!

Regards, Herbert
I went 'cold turkey' on golf equipment a long time back. Now equipment has to have a significant differential that I can experience to get my interest and I've seen very little that makes that grade.

After experiencing the effect of 'spine' in graphite shafts I would not get any graphite shaft that was not filament wound. Given the complex rotation and orientation of the shaft in the downswing, I'm not convinced any shaft with multiple spines (non-filament wound graphite) will ever be consistent for an am (and maybe not even for pros).

Peter

July 10th, 2011, 1:57 am #7

They are definitely consistent from a club building point of view. I think though that it is felt in the industry that it is hard to design them to get high performance out of them in the ways they can do with sheet wrapped shafts. This is just an impression I've gotten over the years, I'm not stating it as fact.

Spines have become a lot weaker and of less concern in the past few years in the shafts I've worked with. I still do spine and flo, though. Right now I'm messing with an adjustable driver, and changing the shaft orientation throws a wrench in the spine and flo thing for sure. But the shafts are just not too bad, so I got over it.
I hadn't heard that it was not possible to get the desired performance with filament wound but it's almost guaranteed that it would be more expensive given the manufacturing process.

So graphite shafts in the last few years are showing weaker spines than before? Are they still showing multiple spines with varying strengths? That's what really got me off of them. Given the changing orientation of the shaft in the downswing there was no orientation that made sense given multiple spines.

Peter

July 10th, 2011, 6:07 am #8

I have a friend who has one. He's a very good player. He wrote good things about it in one of the forums, but he's no longer using it. So I dunno. I'll ask him.
This shaft is a breakthrough in technology. Heck it improves a golfers swing just by swinging it. There is no way anybody could be dumb enough to stop using it! Unless of course...

Regards, Herbert

July 10th, 2011, 9:11 pm #9

I hadn't heard that it was not possible to get the desired performance with filament wound but it's almost guaranteed that it would be more expensive given the manufacturing process.

So graphite shafts in the last few years are showing weaker spines than before? Are they still showing multiple spines with varying strengths? That's what really got me off of them. Given the changing orientation of the shaft in the downswing there was no orientation that made sense given multiple spines.

Peter
I would say they are showing weaker spines and not multiple spines, for the most part. At least in the name brand shafts, like UST, Aldila, Grafalloy etc etc. The cheap house brand shafts are not much different from the old days.

July 10th, 2011, 9:12 pm #10

This shaft is a breakthrough in technology. Heck it improves a golfers swing just by swinging it. There is no way anybody could be dumb enough to stop using it! Unless of course...

Regards, Herbert
He says the guy he gave/loaned it to is loving it. You might be reading the same thread, lol.