Tied my best ever score today.

Tied my best ever score today.

gsw

August 16th, 2011, 4:55 am #1

I tied my best 18 hole score ever today at my course. I shot a two under par 70 today. I had a ten-foot left to right breaking putt on the last hole to shoot 69. I missed the putt because I hit it too hard and hit it right through the break missing on the high side. I was like 31 years old when I last shot 70 on this course and now I am 58 with five levels fused in my lower spine so I would say that this is my best score ever. I made three birdies in a row at one point with two of the birdies being two putt birdies on par fives that I reached in two shots. This round was not a total surprise as I have been shooting around par or just a bit over for the last two weeks or so and today things just went a bit better.

Stan

August 16th, 2011, 8:26 am #2

That is terrific playing! Keep it up! Sounds like you are hitting it a bit further now days?

I played at Golden Gulf Golf Club in Zhuhai last Saturday. Nice course designed by Colin Montgomery and very hot out there! LOL anybody else played there?

Regards, Herbert

August 16th, 2011, 11:17 am #3

I tied my best 18 hole score ever today at my course. I shot a two under par 70 today. I had a ten-foot left to right breaking putt on the last hole to shoot 69. I missed the putt because I hit it too hard and hit it right through the break missing on the high side. I was like 31 years old when I last shot 70 on this course and now I am 58 with five levels fused in my lower spine so I would say that this is my best score ever. I made three birdies in a row at one point with two of the birdies being two putt birdies on par fives that I reached in two shots. This round was not a total surprise as I have been shooting around par or just a bit over for the last two weeks or so and today things just went a bit better.

Stan
Stan you are an inspiration to me and I am sure many others here. I enjoy reading your posts and comments and am always encouraged to hear of you continuing with the game in spite of your physical challenges.

Nice round...now start working on your putting!

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

August 16th, 2011, 11:56 am #4

Stan
That's neat, Stan!

I've been wondering, how long ago did you get your spinal surgery done?

August 17th, 2011, 3:16 am #5

Stan
I have played in Golden Gulf Golf Club Zhuhai, on Saturday. Nice, of course, designed by Colin Montgomery and very hot!

gsw

August 17th, 2011, 5:18 am #6

That's neat, Stan!

I've been wondering, how long ago did you get your spinal surgery done?
It all started way back in 1988 when I blew the disk between the L5 and L4 vertebra in my spine. I had an emergency surgery to remove the disc and relieve the pain caused by the blown out disc. In December 2002 because the disc space between L5 and L4 was completely gone and the two vertebra were rubbing together (bone on bone) I submitted to a 360 global fusion where they went in through my stomach and inserted a cadaver bone to replace the disc and also fused my spine from the rear with rods and screws. After I recovered from that surgery they decided that I needed to have the rods and screws removed so in February of 2004 they operated on me again and removed the rods and screws. I was OK until July of that same year when the disc between L4 and L3 blew out and I had another emergency surgery due to foot drop caused by the blown out disc. That surgery did not work and I was in very bad pain until December of 2004 when they did another surgery to fuse the L4 and L5 disc with rods and screws again. This time the disc did not want to fuse so I had to wear a (Bone Growth Stimulator) for the next 17 months. Finally the Doctors decided that I was fused and allowed me to resume a normal life (sort of). In 2007 I developed pain again and after many very extensive tests in 2008 they decided to go back into my spine and remove the second set of rods and screws and look for whatever was causing my debilitating pain. They found that my body had grown too much bone and that the bone was pressing on my sciatic nerve. They removed the bone and the Rods and Screws and sent me home. I since have developed severe Sacroiliities in my Sacra Iliac joints (SI Joints) and was forced to stop working. The Doctors want to fuse my SI joints but I refuse to have any more surgery and I just do the best I can with my condition. I was born with an extra vertebra L6 and Mother Nature fused it to the S1 vertebra as was the L5 fused to the L6 vertebra fused by Mother Nature so I am now fused from the S1 to the L3 vertebra, which means that I have five levels fused in lower spine. I am a very stiff person but I am happy because I can still walk and play my version of golf in spite of my disabilities.

Stan

August 17th, 2011, 11:28 am #7

Wow. The multiple procedures, that must have been hell. I'm glad you are past that now.
Last edited by Snowman9000 on August 17th, 2011, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 18th, 2011, 8:35 pm #8

I have played in Golden Gulf Golf Club Zhuhai, on Saturday. Nice, of course, designed by Colin Montgomery and very hot!
Beautiful course and nice facility except for the bed which was the worst hotel bed I have ever tried to sleep on. We had a very nice dinner and it sure felt good to get into the air conditioning after playing!

Most of the time I was in Zhongshan working. People drive very differently there. It seems that things like lane markers, signs and signal lights are more like guidelines then hard rules. Also drivers and taxi drivers in particular seem to have a fear that the horn might not be working so they test it every 30 seconds or so. It all works though and is more efficient then our system. It might take a while to get used to driving like that, I was glad to let somebody else drive...

Regards, Herbert