The "Stack and Tilt" golf DVD.

The "Stack and Tilt" golf DVD.

July 8th, 2008, 11:33 pm #1

I recieved this video from Mike Bennent and Andy Plummer who are the main proponents of the S&T and have converted many current tour players, including Mike Wier.

This video is being distributed by Medicus, and along with the video I recieved three medicus clubs, 7, 5 iron and the driver, although I didn't order them???

The videos are very technical and there is little if any footage of these guys actually hitting any balls.

They do make a very large departure from all other golf instruction in that they stress only three fundementals to having a good golf swing, and none of the fundementals include any of the usual suspects such as grip, stance, alignment, ball placement etc.

They claim the #1 fundemental for any good golf swing is the ability to have the clubhead repeatabilty hit the same place on the ground, time after time, and that that place should be in front of the ball.

Their contention is the average hack loads up his weight to the trail side on the backswing, and then never effectively gets that weight shift to the lead side on the downswing, thereby having the clubhead ground out in back of the ball. To compensate for this the average hack releases early and losses and effective COAM he/she might of had to hit an effective shot.

Their answer to compensate for this is to take a weight shift to the trail side compeletly out of the equation. They have to "Stack" put the weight on the LEAD side on the back swing by actually tilting your body towards the target side while doing this.

This gives a very centered swing where the lead shoulder goes very low on the back swing, and the trail shoulder is very high.

On the downswing you then make even more of a weight shift to the lead side and this causes ones swing to bottom out much further to the lead side then a normal swing does. The finish is a high reverse "C".

These two instructors are obviously TGM guys because they make numerous references to it and Homer Kelly. They even talk about "Accumulators" and the "flying wedge" which is Mark Eversheds "cocked trail wrist" being maintained throughout the entire swing.

I will give more info as I review more of the materials.

There is 4 dvds in the package.

July 9th, 2008, 1:18 am #2

Their answer to compensate for this is to take a weight shift to the trail side completely out of the equation. They have to "Stack" put the weight on the LEAD side on the back swing by actually tilting your body towards the target side while doing this.

MR. CHAZMAN, IN A GOLF DIGEST article a few years ago
they tested the pros and all had a shift of weight
to the trail leg.
I think Larry Nelson was the closest at being
centered at the top with 55-45 weight distribution
at the top.
How do the s&t guys deal with that?

JC

July 10th, 2008, 4:42 pm #3

They have your lead shoulder go under your head (not around) and if you look at this move with graphic placements (like they have on the video) the head and swing is very much centered and there is very little lateral head movement in the swing at all.

At the top of the backswing, 55 % of your weight is still on the lead side.

This is really nothing new, this is the old style swing where the finish at the top was a reverse "C".

There is video on this site explaining this swing.

http://www.stackandtilt.com/land02.php? ... sgodriH7Tg
Last edited by Chazman on July 10th, 2008, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 10th, 2008, 6:49 pm #4

I've been using S+T since reading the original ( not tremendously good ) articles in Golf Digest last year. Since then I've never hit the ball so well, my handicap has dropped from 10.7 to 8.7, I've had my first ever hole in one and won a few things too. The feeling of compressing the ball with the irons is quite amazing.

It is indeed of particular value to players who never quite feel they've got their weight over to the left side at impact. It's a One Plane swing and therefore quite simple and efficient, low maintenance which is also valuable for people like me who think life is too short to be standing on the range all day.

July 10th, 2008, 7:38 pm #5

They have your lead shoulder go under your head (not around) and if you look at this move with graphic placements (like they have on the video) the head and swing is very much centered and there is very little lateral head movement in the swing at all.

At the top of the backswing, 55 % of your weight is still on the lead side.

This is really nothing new, this is the old style swing where the finish at the top was a reverse "C".

There is video on this site explaining this swing.

http://www.stackandtilt.com/land02.php? ... sgodriH7Tg
BGG from the preset position. What are the similarities and differences? Besides the grip and SA alignment I mean. Specifically the Stack and Tilt vs the Preset

July 10th, 2008, 7:49 pm #6

I recieved this video from Mike Bennent and Andy Plummer who are the main proponents of the S&T and have converted many current tour players, including Mike Wier.

This video is being distributed by Medicus, and along with the video I recieved three medicus clubs, 7, 5 iron and the driver, although I didn't order them???

The videos are very technical and there is little if any footage of these guys actually hitting any balls.

They do make a very large departure from all other golf instruction in that they stress only three fundementals to having a good golf swing, and none of the fundementals include any of the usual suspects such as grip, stance, alignment, ball placement etc.

They claim the #1 fundemental for any good golf swing is the ability to have the clubhead repeatabilty hit the same place on the ground, time after time, and that that place should be in front of the ball.

Their contention is the average hack loads up his weight to the trail side on the backswing, and then never effectively gets that weight shift to the lead side on the downswing, thereby having the clubhead ground out in back of the ball. To compensate for this the average hack releases early and losses and effective COAM he/she might of had to hit an effective shot.

Their answer to compensate for this is to take a weight shift to the trail side compeletly out of the equation. They have to "Stack" put the weight on the LEAD side on the back swing by actually tilting your body towards the target side while doing this.

This gives a very centered swing where the lead shoulder goes very low on the back swing, and the trail shoulder is very high.

On the downswing you then make even more of a weight shift to the lead side and this causes ones swing to bottom out much further to the lead side then a normal swing does. The finish is a high reverse "C".

These two instructors are obviously TGM guys because they make numerous references to it and Homer Kelly. They even talk about "Accumulators" and the "flying wedge" which is Mark Eversheds "cocked trail wrist" being maintained throughout the entire swing.

I will give more info as I review more of the materials.

There is 4 dvds in the package.
It's $19.95 until you get to the last order page where the fine print at the bottom informs you of the other payments you'll be making, lol. Why don't they just tell you up front what the cost is? This infomercial type of advertising always makes me suspicious but I have read of others having lots of success with this swing. There's a guy on the FGI forum who has a very long running thread about his journey with it. Sure like to know how others are doing with this as well. How about you, Chaz? What are your thoughts so far? Do you feel this is something that might work for you? Best of luck.

Jerry

July 10th, 2008, 8:01 pm #7

BGG from the preset position. What are the similarities and differences? Besides the grip and SA alignment I mean. Specifically the Stack and Tilt vs the Preset
In BGG you get in the preset position, swing back with a weight shif and then on the downswing you go back to the preset.

On the S&T you lean to the left on the backswing, keeping the swing centered and then move more to the lead side on the downswing. There in NO weight shift to the trail side in S&T, none at all.

July 10th, 2008, 10:55 pm #8

I've been using S+T since reading the original ( not tremendously good ) articles in Golf Digest last year. Since then I've never hit the ball so well, my handicap has dropped from 10.7 to 8.7, I've had my first ever hole in one and won a few things too. The feeling of compressing the ball with the irons is quite amazing.

It is indeed of particular value to players who never quite feel they've got their weight over to the left side at impact. It's a One Plane swing and therefore quite simple and efficient, low maintenance which is also valuable for people like me who think life is too short to be standing on the range all day.
Do you have any since of weight moving to your trail
side at all when you swing?
When you set up what do you think your weight distribution is?
Do you hit any iron shots thin and did you have to alter
your ball position?

I don't know much about s&t, but there is still a weight
shift of some kind right? I mean you don;t set up with your upper body tilted to the lead side before you swing?
ONE more please- do you feel like you might step through a
shot when you tilt.
OK.ONE MORE DO you tilt as far forward as you can or
can you or do you overdo it sometimes?

jC

July 11th, 2008, 12:54 am #9

Hi David,

Glad to hear of your success!

I had thought the stack and tilt would work best as a one plane swing since two plane swings are supposed to need more 'width', meaning a weight shift to the trail side on the backswing. I am of course assuming that you mean one plane swing as specified by Jim Hardy? That is the lead arm is more or less on plane with the shoulders at the top of the backswing?

Thanks in advance, Herbert

July 11th, 2008, 12:58 am #10

It's $19.95 until you get to the last order page where the fine print at the bottom informs you of the other payments you'll be making, lol. Why don't they just tell you up front what the cost is? This infomercial type of advertising always makes me suspicious but I have read of others having lots of success with this swing. There's a guy on the FGI forum who has a very long running thread about his journey with it. Sure like to know how others are doing with this as well. How about you, Chaz? What are your thoughts so far? Do you feel this is something that might work for you? Best of luck.

Jerry
Hi Jerry,

I thought it interesting also how they mention 'getting stuck'. LOL, the immediate thought of the typical hacker is 'hmmmm, getting stuck is what happens to Tiger, I better not let that happen to me!' Terrific salesmanship in my opinion.

I wonder though what you need the instructional stuff for anyway, it seems simple enough to me???

Regards, Herbert