The Keystone Distance Wedge (long epiphany post)

gsw

April 3rd, 2009, 8:28 pm #11

Shank!

I can tell you that I have played several rounds with the F2s and no shanks. I have hit a few that would have been shanks with 'normal' clubs. One that stands out in particular was sandwedge 3rd shot to a par five that actually caused a reaction in my body (cringe) as I somehow knew that I shanked it. The ball ended up 5 feet from the hole and I managed to sink the putt for a birdie. I looked at the clubface after I hit and the ball mark was right under the hosel in perfect shank position. If I had made that swing with my old sandwedge it would have been in the woods ob and I probably would have taken at least 3 to get down after that resulting in a double bogey or worse. LOL like Stan says life is too short to mess around with the shanks... My confidence has increased a great deal since I started playing the F2s. I feel a bit more relaxed over the ball because I know that the shot might not be perfect but it won't be a hosel rocket.

In way though it takes some of the excitement out of the game. Knowing that I could shank any iron shot at any time added an element of danger that was a bit intoxicating... LOL I was always careful to make sure that nobody was standing to the right and ahead of me when I was hitting...

Regards, Herbert
Nothing better than to play golf knowing that you simply cannot hit a shank.

Stan
Last edited by gsw on April 3rd, 2009, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 5th, 2009, 7:02 pm #12

Bertholy also advises a 3/4 swing for many people. I've noticed when doing the rifle barrel drills that I hold the angles better, getting cleaner contact with a divot in front of the ball most of the time with a 3/4 swing. When I go to a full backswing it all goes to Hell. This raises the question as to if I should even be doing full backswing rifle barrel drills ... if this is somehow reversing my progress with the drills.
Got back on track with full swing rifle barrel drills by pulling with my left arm/hand. This also eliminated the shanks and pushes off to the right. I was doing drills and could clearly see that the club face was still open and club traveling to the right at impact. I began to think about how to correct this. When I tried pushing with the trail arm or closing the right hand, I quickly lost the angles. So I tried pulling with the left arm and Voila ... dead straight every time with an incredible amount of force.

I went back to Golf Swing Construction 101 and sure enough, there are many quotes about making more use of the left arm. I seemed to have blocked this information out. The most notables quotes being:

"Fourth Dimension - Involuntary release of wrists, supplemented with a horizontal tug of the left arm at, through and beyond impact."

"The left arm and hand can thereby create more easily the correct pulling action in the downswing..."

"There must also be direct mental involvement by the golfer while playing to facilitate even greater left arm participation while hitting pin-splitting iron shots."

"Dominant right arm golfers will never reach their potential nor will they be able to perform as well under stress as the dominant left side golfer"

April 6th, 2009, 7:51 pm #13

Nothing better than to play golf knowing that you simply cannot hit a shank.

Stan
You are da man!

It was your input along with Remington finding the cheap price on F2s that led to my current state of shankless bliss.

LOL, I am now back to using my version of simple swing as the smaller grips seem to have eliminated the lead hand pain that I had before. I am using a triple overlap grip which may help some also. I set up with my weight on my lead foot and with my lead knee bent so I guess that I am mixing some IMA in along with some Bertholy training including my own version of the golden exercise. I also use a bit of STC as I find that thinking of swinging the clubhead and watching it swing thru the ball helps a lot. I am not using clear key though I did learn a bit from using it for a while. I might try it again sometime in the future.

Regards, Herbert
Last edited by gHerbert on April 6th, 2009, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.