Tennis [Golfer's Elbow]

Tennis [Golfer's Elbow]

March 29th, 2010, 12:15 pm #1

I have struggled with 'tennis elbow' occasionally in the past. This past weekend I hit a bucket at the range and WAS WEARING a forearm support. The left elbow felt fine after the session, but started to ache that night. Yesterday the left elbow kept getting worse and worse....by last night I was icing it and taking Ibuprofen, but the condition contiued to worsen. After a sleepless night, my elbow is now swollen and starting to turn color, and I can't button my shirt, comb my hair, or scratch my nose with my left arm. The pain and swelling is on the outside of the elbow, usually more associated with tennis than golf.

The only changes I have made in my routine is studying Bertholy and Blueprint, and am [was] hitting the ball harder than ever.

I am now fearful that golf for 2010 might be 'over'.........anyone with a similar experience and/or suggestions??

March 30th, 2010, 3:51 pm #2

I'm no doctor but if it is changing colors you should go have a doctor look at it. I had a case of the golfers elbow, but it was my right elbow/forearm area, it didnt turn colors but I had to stop practicing for about 2 month's and wear a elbow brace/support. During the 2 month's of no precticing every choress still made it ache/sorebegan, but I stuck with the no golf practice and after the 2 month's I began slowly to put and chip it would get a little sore but nothing like what had happenned. Now I have a sore swollen right middle finger, it really swells up and is sore/tender after I practice, so now when I practice I have my middle finger off the club, looks funny and felt strange at firstbut it has helped.

Art

hfd

March 30th, 2010, 7:27 pm #3

I have struggled with 'tennis elbow' occasionally in the past. This past weekend I hit a bucket at the range and WAS WEARING a forearm support. The left elbow felt fine after the session, but started to ache that night. Yesterday the left elbow kept getting worse and worse....by last night I was icing it and taking Ibuprofen, but the condition contiued to worsen. After a sleepless night, my elbow is now swollen and starting to turn color, and I can't button my shirt, comb my hair, or scratch my nose with my left arm. The pain and swelling is on the outside of the elbow, usually more associated with tennis than golf.

The only changes I have made in my routine is studying Bertholy and Blueprint, and am [was] hitting the ball harder than ever.

I am now fearful that golf for 2010 might be 'over'.........anyone with a similar experience and/or suggestions??
I had this to the extent that I could barely lift a club. Foolishly I played on and ended up grooving a short flat swing that makes Allen Doyle look like he is over swinging. I tried everything including cortisone (not recommended).

First I had to stop my bad habits like hitting lots of balls of bad mats. I switched to graphite for my irons and put midsize grips on my clubs.

The real saving grace was Pain Free by Pete Egoscue. No less than Nicklaus credits him for helping him to play golf again without surgery. If all else has failed get the book and read the section on elbows. The exercises he suggests are more to free up shoulders and hips as he infers that the elbow pain is a result of some mobility issues in these areas. The elbow then has to perform actions outside its proper function to make up for the shortfall in the other areas.

In my case the exercises worked and as I am now retired, and hitting more balls that ever I am still pain free. Just bought a new mat for home use. I got a Truestriike as it has a gel pad under the striking area. I just want to make sure I never get back to the agony of before. I wish you well in your search.

HFD

March 31st, 2010, 4:02 pm #4

trail or lead elbow? I started getting occasional mild tennis elbow in my trail elbow (right elbow for a right handed-golfer) after getting more proficient with Bertholy/Blueprint because I started taking divots where I never had before.

Were you hitting off of a mat? If so, I would switch to grass if possible. If you're hitting off of grass, then I would investigate switching to graphite shafts and maybe even the spongy Winn grips to help minimize the vibration sent to your elbows.

One of my Saturday morning playing partners developed similar symptoms to yours two years ago in his left elbow and he is a right handed golfer. He went to therapy, used an elbow brace, etc. Nothing helped. The doctor told him that he can continue to play since he's not causing any damage to his elbow. The problem is in the tendon and the doctor will cut the tendon if he can't stand the pain. He's going to live with the pain for now.

But I agree with Art. See a doctor to make sure something isn't seriously wrong.

March 31st, 2010, 7:14 pm #5

I had this to the extent that I could barely lift a club. Foolishly I played on and ended up grooving a short flat swing that makes Allen Doyle look like he is over swinging. I tried everything including cortisone (not recommended).

First I had to stop my bad habits like hitting lots of balls of bad mats. I switched to graphite for my irons and put midsize grips on my clubs.

The real saving grace was Pain Free by Pete Egoscue. No less than Nicklaus credits him for helping him to play golf again without surgery. If all else has failed get the book and read the section on elbows. The exercises he suggests are more to free up shoulders and hips as he infers that the elbow pain is a result of some mobility issues in these areas. The elbow then has to perform actions outside its proper function to make up for the shortfall in the other areas.

In my case the exercises worked and as I am now retired, and hitting more balls that ever I am still pain free. Just bought a new mat for home use. I got a Truestriike as it has a gel pad under the striking area. I just want to make sure I never get back to the agony of before. I wish you well in your search.

HFD
Total Motion Release was demonstrated in the Bud Ferrente video as part of the "2008 World Scientific Congress of Golf Videos" that Peter linked to in a previous post. The e-book is free, the exercises are simple, quick, and completely safe. While it may sound like snake oil, it has helped my wife tremendously with her frozen shoulder in a very short amount of time. I would highly recommend it. There is really nothing to lose by trying it and potentially a lot to gain.

March 31st, 2010, 7:17 pm #6

HFD
I've had one for a while but have only used it for a short time. How durable has yours been? Mine seems to be wearing quickly.

hfd

March 31st, 2010, 7:58 pm #7

Allen,
I got the latest version the MK 7 I think. I had tested the original versions with the exposed gel pad and never rated them. This has the Gel pad but it is covered with an artifical grass that "rucks" if you hit it fat. This is the shot that haunts me and I am hoping that this mat will help me work on my major fault. I only have it a few weeks and the weather here (N.Ireland) has been very poor so I have only hit off it a few times. I will get back to you after I have used over the summer. Assuming we get one this year!!!

HFD

April 1st, 2010, 6:25 am #8

Total Motion Release was demonstrated in the Bud Ferrente video as part of the "2008 World Scientific Congress of Golf Videos" that Peter linked to in a previous post. The e-book is free, the exercises are simple, quick, and completely safe. While it may sound like snake oil, it has helped my wife tremendously with her frozen shoulder in a very short amount of time. I would highly recommend it. There is really nothing to lose by trying it and potentially a lot to gain.
Allen,

Thanks for the link to the total motion release page!

I downloaded the e-book and did the worksheet. I have had problems with my left upper back and neck tightening up for many years along with the lower back problems. I had the upper back and neck tightened up pretty badly this weekend which did not help my play any. When doing the exercises I found that I could not do the left arm raise at all without a lot of pain while I could do the right arm raise okay. After 4 sets of raising the good arm I was able to raise the left arm just about equally. Amazing! I did a swing pipe drill after that and I got the pipe to parallel with no problem, something that I could not do before with a straight left (lead) arm.

I did do all of the exercises and I don't believe that there was any improvement in my lower back but I guess that would be probably be asking for more then is feasible.

I gained serious ease of execution on the swing pipe drill, LOL I can't wait to get out and hit balls and play to see if I am just kidding myself or if this stuff really will help me out some...

Regards, Herbert

April 1st, 2010, 12:00 pm #9

Many years ago I blew out my left ACL playing soccer. I never had it replaced and I only have about a 25% rim of cartilage left. Sometimes after an 18 hole round walking, my knee is so sore I can hardly move...

In the back of my mind "I knew" I was making compensations in my daily activity and also in my swing. With the work I have been doing this winter, I have been having increased tightenses and pain in my whole left side, hips, lower back, obliques etc. Figured it was just the new movement(s) and the exercises as I am training pretty aggressively.

Well this morning I watched the Ferrante videos and all the Total Motion release videos.

I decided to try the sit stand. For my left leg, I could barely stand at all, but on my right leg I popped right up in perfect balance. So I did 8 reps on my right side. Then I tried the left...YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! I was able to stand much better, although just a bit wobbly still. So I did another set of 8 on the right side. Then went to the left again and BAM...popped right up, with as much ease as the right side!

Most importantly - no pain in my lower back or hip - gone first thing in the morning.

Incredible really...amazing. Easy...call it snake oil...whatever...it works. I am definitely going to go through the complete self help program starting today.

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

April 1st, 2010, 12:05 pm #10

trail or lead elbow? I started getting occasional mild tennis elbow in my trail elbow (right elbow for a right handed-golfer) after getting more proficient with Bertholy/Blueprint because I started taking divots where I never had before.

Were you hitting off of a mat? If so, I would switch to grass if possible. If you're hitting off of grass, then I would investigate switching to graphite shafts and maybe even the spongy Winn grips to help minimize the vibration sent to your elbows.

One of my Saturday morning playing partners developed similar symptoms to yours two years ago in his left elbow and he is a right handed golfer. He went to therapy, used an elbow brace, etc. Nothing helped. The doctor told him that he can continue to play since he's not causing any damage to his elbow. The problem is in the tendon and the doctor will cut the tendon if he can't stand the pain. He's going to live with the pain for now.

But I agree with Art. See a doctor to make sure something isn't seriously wrong.
Orthopedic gave me a shot of Cortiszone [before I saw the suggestion against it] and it feels much better, now working on getting mobility back. Doc said I was 1 -3 shots away from tearing it.

It is my left 'lead' arm.......I have had problems in the past, but NOTHING like this episode. My days of hitting off mats is OVER!!

Believe I am supplying too much power with hands and arms and not enough "Master Move"....thanks to all for your thoughts, info and comments.