Tempo

Tempo

January 17th, 2010, 9:13 pm #1

Having done Bertholy daily now for a year, I decided to figure out what my swing speed was currently. I was mightily disappointed to learn that it was still pretty much the same as before I started (100MPH avg diver speed.)

In trying to figure out why, it suddenly came to me that I've been doing slow-motion drills for 12 months and I'd actually trained myself to swing slowly. Kind of like Mac's experience with his irons early last season. Examining my swing against some older ones, I realized that my swing had slowed down by about 20%. What is remarkable is that I was still getting my old club head speed with a much slower swing.

I got out my old "Tour Tempo" book, and began training to the 3:1 BS/DS ratios, and my average swing speed immediately went up to 110MPH with maximums in the 120+MPH range.

Lest any of you think that the increased tempo has destroyed my newly trained lead/lag, here are a few snapshots from some 115MPH swings that I made using this 3:1 tempo:

No loss of angles or over-the-top moves here. I must admit that I find speeding up the back swing is most effective at increasing club head speed. I would caution that folks not jump to this technique UNTIL their swing is mostly built.

Coincidentally, I was at my club maker's this weekend getting some club repairs done over the winter and talked to him about my swing changes. He accused my handicap improvement of just being a result of "extra" practice over the summer. Not being able to convince him otherwise, I mentioned that my 5-iron club speed went up to about 90MPH. He said "BS!" So I said "give me a club and put me on the monitor." He did, I warmed up and cracked off 88, 94 and 92MPH swings. He stood there with his mouth open and then muttered "50 year-olds just don't increase their 5-irons from 82MPH to 92MPH." It was a very satisfying weekend.
Last edited by allenws on January 17th, 2010, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 17th, 2010, 9:57 pm #2

Allen,

Those are great results! All of your hard work is really paying off.

I am curious what length driver you are swinging and if you have fooled around with different lengths and weights? Sometimes it is possibly to swing a shorter driver faster and with more control...

Your driveway looks nice did you put in the pavers?

Regards, Herbert

January 18th, 2010, 1:06 am #3

Having done Bertholy daily now for a year, I decided to figure out what my swing speed was currently. I was mightily disappointed to learn that it was still pretty much the same as before I started (100MPH avg diver speed.)

In trying to figure out why, it suddenly came to me that I've been doing slow-motion drills for 12 months and I'd actually trained myself to swing slowly. Kind of like Mac's experience with his irons early last season. Examining my swing against some older ones, I realized that my swing had slowed down by about 20%. What is remarkable is that I was still getting my old club head speed with a much slower swing.

I got out my old "Tour Tempo" book, and began training to the 3:1 BS/DS ratios, and my average swing speed immediately went up to 110MPH with maximums in the 120+MPH range.

Lest any of you think that the increased tempo has destroyed my newly trained lead/lag, here are a few snapshots from some 115MPH swings that I made using this 3:1 tempo:

No loss of angles or over-the-top moves here. I must admit that I find speeding up the back swing is most effective at increasing club head speed. I would caution that folks not jump to this technique UNTIL their swing is mostly built.

Coincidentally, I was at my club maker's this weekend getting some club repairs done over the winter and talked to him about my swing changes. He accused my handicap improvement of just being a result of "extra" practice over the summer. Not being able to convince him otherwise, I mentioned that my 5-iron club speed went up to about 90MPH. He said "BS!" So I said "give me a club and put me on the monitor." He did, I warmed up and cracked off 88, 94 and 92MPH swings. He stood there with his mouth open and then muttered "50 year-olds just don't increase their 5-irons from 82MPH to 92MPH." It was a very satisfying weekend.
lead wrist flat as a pancake too! Congrats....one year huh? That's not possible.

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

January 18th, 2010, 2:31 am #4

Allen,

Those are great results! All of your hard work is really paying off.

I am curious what length driver you are swinging and if you have fooled around with different lengths and weights? Sometimes it is possibly to swing a shorter driver faster and with more control...

Your driveway looks nice did you put in the pavers?

Regards, Herbert
a 44.5" length shaft in my driver. That's what I was fitted to 4 years ago.

It's a stamped, colored, concrete driveway. It looks like pavers even up close. Thanks for the compliments.

January 18th, 2010, 2:41 am #5

lead wrist flat as a pancake too! Congrats....one year huh? That's not possible.

that I've put in more than 500 hours on the drills this past year. A lot of work, but a lot of fun too. These last 9 weeks of nothing but programs 1, 2, 4 and the 25% speed 3c's with a concentration on the master move has really paid off. Thanks again for all your help.

January 18th, 2010, 2:20 pm #6

a 44.5" length shaft in my driver. That's what I was fitted to 4 years ago.

It's a stamped, colored, concrete driveway. It looks like pavers even up close. Thanks for the compliments.

Allen

I was going to coment on your driveway too. I am in the building bussiness and we use a lot of the stamped concrete. I have it on my patio and had it on my driveway at my last house.

Great job on increased speed. Maybe there is hope for me yet, being I am also your age is incouraging.

(looks like you live in the the winter climate like some of the rest of us. It has been a rough winter thus far . Statered early and no end in sight.

January 30th, 2010, 3:16 pm #7

that I've put in more than 500 hours on the drills this past year. A lot of work, but a lot of fun too. These last 9 weeks of nothing but programs 1, 2, 4 and the 25% speed 3c's with a concentration on the master move has really paid off. Thanks again for all your help.
Mcirishman and Allen . I've run into a problem as I've increased my repeps of program 2,and slow riflebarrels ,then have played golf on clearkey ! My first 10 to 15 shots are all 5/10 degrees right(for a righty)(unless I warm up and hit 32 balls with clearkey).Then as my tempo & speed increases and I consintrate on closing the door(I use IMA)I go back to dead straght. Any ideas how to improve this as living in Myrtle Beach(45 courses within 15 mi) my golf happens after work or an afternoon when I can get away, and never the same course. Any ideas Thanks Jack 7.6 IMA lefty 61yrs

January 30th, 2010, 7:01 pm #8

without seeing your swing. A common flaw when using this method to train for coming from the inside and hold the angles is that you leave your trail hand open. Bertholy tried to fix this by using his "catching rain-drops" technique. This doesn't apply for IMA. Make sure that you aren't trying to consciously retain while playing. Also be careful that you aren't cupping your lead wrist at the top of the BS or during the DS while doing the drills. This will leave your hands open at impact. It could also be that you are breaking the connection between the top of your lead arm and chest during the DS. Pay very close attention to maintaining this contact when doing the drills.

I'm concerned about the "closing the door" analogy that you are using. Not only does it break the Clearkey rules, but it often manifests itself in a loss of angles as you extend your trail arm early and cast your trail hand to accomplish this thought.

If you've been getting straight shots all of these years by casting and coming over the top, then it is very understandable that you start to hit the ball right as you begin your Blueprint/Bertholy training. Concentrate on doing the drills properly and don't worry much about what happens on the course. I find that I make the most progress when doing the drills while not playing. You can make the same progress when playing ONLY if you are 100% dedicated to playing while using Clearkey. As you are finding out, this can be very difficult indeed.

January 30th, 2010, 11:25 pm #9

Mcirishman and Allen . I've run into a problem as I've increased my repeps of program 2,and slow riflebarrels ,then have played golf on clearkey ! My first 10 to 15 shots are all 5/10 degrees right(for a righty)(unless I warm up and hit 32 balls with clearkey).Then as my tempo & speed increases and I consintrate on closing the door(I use IMA)I go back to dead straght. Any ideas how to improve this as living in Myrtle Beach(45 courses within 15 mi) my golf happens after work or an afternoon when I can get away, and never the same course. Any ideas Thanks Jack 7.6 IMA lefty 61yrs
So I understand what it is you are saying - You start out playing your shots/round just using your clearkey, and they ALL are straight pushes? Then, when you are still playing the current round, you switch from using your clearkey to concentrating on "closing the door" as you swing and play?

Remember that playing on clearkey allows your subconscious to execute stored habits. And it is non-discriminatory - it can only use what it finds. If when playing a round on clearkey you see a consistent pattern of a mistake or error, then this indicates the need for more work to build a better habit/pathway - the work is not done.

BUT, it can also mean, you may not be employing the process correctly. Try this at the range before you play, then take it to the course. On the range, imagine a hole that you have played and visualize that hole. Now as you stand behind the ball, tell yourself where you want the shot, that you "want it dead solid straight", and here's the important part - make a practice swing with the tempo/swing speed you use while concentrating on your close the door thought - just like you do when you are playing. IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU COMPLETE THIS PRACTICE SWING say "just like that" inhale deeply and as you exhale tell yourself "going to automatic"...and immediately begin your clearkey as you walk to the ball. Once you get comfortable with the process on the range, take that same process to the course. It is important to practice like you play, and play like you practice. This may be all you need.

What you are doing is programming your system with the precise thought and motion you desire to be executed on automatic, and then, while that command is still "fresh" in your system, switching to automatic and allowing the subconscious to execute.

With my IMA set-up, I find I push the ball due to a faulty ball position - too far back, or sliding beyond the outside edge of my lead foot, and head moving forward instead of staying back. Sometimes too tight a grip with the trail hand will cause this for me too. I am not too familiar with IMA lingo and have never really understood the closing the door thing that well, so I am afraid I am not much help there. Keep in mind as your swing and retention gets better that you will most likely need a ball position that is more forward than you have probably been using.

January 31st, 2010, 2:45 pm #10

without seeing your swing. A common flaw when using this method to train for coming from the inside and hold the angles is that you leave your trail hand open. Bertholy tried to fix this by using his "catching rain-drops" technique. This doesn't apply for IMA. Make sure that you aren't trying to consciously retain while playing. Also be careful that you aren't cupping your lead wrist at the top of the BS or during the DS while doing the drills. This will leave your hands open at impact. It could also be that you are breaking the connection between the top of your lead arm and chest during the DS. Pay very close attention to maintaining this contact when doing the drills.

I'm concerned about the "closing the door" analogy that you are using. Not only does it break the Clearkey rules, but it often manifests itself in a loss of angles as you extend your trail arm early and cast your trail hand to accomplish this thought.

If you've been getting straight shots all of these years by casting and coming over the top, then it is very understandable that you start to hit the ball right as you begin your Blueprint/Bertholy training. Concentrate on doing the drills properly and don't worry much about what happens on the course. I find that I make the most progress when doing the drills while not playing. You can make the same progress when playing ONLY if you are 100% dedicated to playing while using Clearkey. As you are finding out, this can be very difficult indeed.
Thanks for the feedback This is all I could find , 7 iron 3/4 swing,.I think my lead arm connection is good,I tend to come from inside,not over.My closed door thought comes from an old post by Peter about a door returning to the closed position with the lead arm as the hinge and the trail bent and I use it as part of my preshot.As you say It's easy to get swing thoughts mixed in with clearkey.Thanks again