switching from righty to lefty read and help???

switching from righty to lefty read and help???

January 7th, 2009, 4:12 am #1

I have a question regarding the swing , wanted you opinion because I am all screwed up now. Messing around in a simulator that we do fittings, one day I decided to swing lefty. I had a happy accident and hit a 180yd 6 iron I thought no big deal a fluke tried it again, 190 again 200 again 195 again 210. was stunned.
I can normaly hit my 6 iron righty about 165-175.

I was so much more flexible it was insane.
went to a driver yeap righty the same as usual ball speed of about 145-150, went lefty 153-161 ball speed. OMG???

now I am completely at a lost I hit the ball so much farther lefty that I feel like takig this year off from playing and start making the change to lefty?

I know what you must be thinking, But I went to the range to check my distances and they were almost the same with a different radar and a range finder..so I know the simulator was not acting up.. What do you think???

I have been testing this lefty swing for a month now and the distances are consistantly longer than me playing righty..

Any one, any idea or advice thanks Peter

January 7th, 2009, 3:36 pm #2

Maybe has something to do with leading with your dominant side. Lots of left handed people out there who play golf right handed really well and the speculation (maybe proof, I'm not sure) is that because they are naturally left handed and playing right handed they are leading with their dominant side and this maybe produces more control and speed. If so, then it would work the same way for a right hander playing left handed. I think Moe was naturally left handed and so was Ben Hogan, I think. Just a thought. If you're willing to put in the time it could be worth it. Keep us up to date on it if you will.

January 7th, 2009, 5:48 pm #3

I have a question regarding the swing , wanted you opinion because I am all screwed up now. Messing around in a simulator that we do fittings, one day I decided to swing lefty. I had a happy accident and hit a 180yd 6 iron I thought no big deal a fluke tried it again, 190 again 200 again 195 again 210. was stunned.

went to a driver yeap righty the same as usual ball speed of about 145-150, went lefty 153-161 ball speed. OMG???

now I am completely at a lost I hit the ball so much farther lefty that I feel like takig this year off from playing and start making the change to lefty?

I know what you must be thinking, But I went to the range to check my distances and they were almost the same with a different radar and a range finder..so I know the simulator was not acting up.. What do you think???

I have been testing this lefty swing for a month now and the distances are consistantly longer than me playing righty..

Pedro, there must be something else going on here, for you to have this ability. Are you a lefty, playing right handed? Are you a lefty that was forced to go righty as a child? Are you crossed in any manner. Like are you right handed and left eye dominant, or left foot dominant or left ear dominant?

If you answer no to all those questions, call your mother and ask her if she switched you as a child from a seeming left side preference to a righty. Seriously. ASk her.

January 7th, 2009, 7:53 pm #4

Sounds like good news to be able to hit so far on your opposite side. I guess you must be honing your accuracy now.

The distance is probably because you are right side dominate and your muscle group is stronger than your left. I can see where this becomes prevalent when you need to pull the club down at the top of the back swing. Plus, most of us have chronic injury on our trail side due to playing the game. This has caused us to become less flexible as we get older and it limits our turning radius.

I thought about switching but I am too cheap to buy a new set of clubs. Perhaps I should rethink this?

January 7th, 2009, 9:31 pm #5

think that you should play with your dominant side as your lead side which is just the opposite of what most of us do. You may be experiencing part of the reason for that thought.

Peter

January 8th, 2009, 2:01 am #6

Right-handed people have been known to be left footed.

Being right-handed does not always mean that the favored foot is also on the right side. When playing soccer for instance, many people prefer using their left foot rather than the right, despite being right-handed.

JC

January 8th, 2009, 7:24 am #7

think that you should play with your dominant side as your lead side which is just the opposite of what most of us do. You may be experiencing part of the reason for that thought.

Peter
Everything that I have read on that subject says that you will hit it further on your natural side. LOL, certainly true in my case. I actually have nice looking left handed swing but the ball goes half the distance of my right handed swing...

Regards, Herbert

January 10th, 2009, 3:09 am #8

Right-handed people have been known to be left footed.

Being right-handed does not always mean that the favored foot is also on the right side. When playing soccer for instance, many people prefer using their left foot rather than the right, despite being right-handed.

JC

Although the info may be accurate, Wikipedia is the worst source of factual information on the web. Anyone can change it and it is not a valid reference for higher education, so try to double check the info just in case.

January 10th, 2009, 1:44 pm #9

Chipper Jones, the Braves right-handed switch hitter
has much more power from the left side.

January 10th, 2009, 6:30 pm #10

Although the info may be accurate, Wikipedia is the worst source of factual information on the web. Anyone can change it and it is not a valid reference for higher education, so try to double check the info just in case.
Although it is true that a person can be crossed in the feet, i.e., right side dominant but left foot dominant, there aren't a lot of them in the USA...an educated guess would be about 6 million or 2 per cent of the population...this would be consistent with what was found in the Army some 40 years ago.

Here is another study from 40 years ago:

"A study of 5,546 subjects from 40 years ago determined almost a third were "cross-dom." 28.6 percent had left eye and right hand preference, while 3.9 percent had right eye and left hand preference. The citation was "Rengstorff, 1967." The same study found 91.5 percent of those surveyed were right-handed, 7.7 percent southpaws, and 1.1 percent ambidextrous."

29% of the right handed people were left eye dominant.
Only 4% of the left handed people were right eye dominant.
92 per cent were right handed.
8 per cent left handed
1 per cent ambidexterous

The 29 per cent figure (right handed people who are left eye dominant) is a bit high, but it is, probably, because women were included in the study. Women have a higher incidence of cross dominance, and a higher incidence of anxiety, which matches, by the way, that incidence...
Always found that interesting. Today, you would get a slightly higher incidence of lefties.

In Canada they sell an incredible number of left handed golf clubs, probably, due to so many kids learning hockey in youth, and then they play softball and baseball from the non-dominant side....finally, golf.

It is a facinating subject, and you can find more on the internet under lateralisation. If you are an anxious person, or you get anxious on the golf course under pressure, this could be the reason...

You can be crossed in the eyes, ears, hands or feet. If you have kids diagnosed with attention problems, have all four areas checked. From my experience, about 1/2 of the kids on meds for attention disorders could be removed...they are just crossed, and the cure is SIMPLe.