Switch from 10 finger to overlap grip

Switch from 10 finger to overlap grip

May 10th, 2010, 2:16 am #1

I'm thinking of switching from the 10 finger to the overlap grip. In one of the youtube videos, Moe said the lead arm is in the control, and the trail hand/arm just goes along for the ride. I make a much better swing when I can do that. And the overlap grip makes it much for me to keep the trail side arm from taking charge.

GGA strongly advocates the overlap grip. That has never been enough to get me to try it. But maybe they are on to something.

It used to feel funny but for whatever reason, maybe because I used to be trying to have the trail arm in charge. The overlap feels fine when I try it now. I haven't been able to hit any balls with it yet though. Has anyone made the switch, and if so, what happened?

gsw

May 10th, 2010, 1:55 pm #2

I am just the opposite. I feel as if the trail hand controls the swing and the lead hand just holds on to the club. I think that whatevev you think feels and works best will be the right way. I myself like both hands on the club.

Stan

May 10th, 2010, 5:19 pm #3

I'm thinking of switching from the 10 finger to the overlap grip. In one of the youtube videos, Moe said the lead arm is in the control, and the trail hand/arm just goes along for the ride. I make a much better swing when I can do that. And the overlap grip makes it much for me to keep the trail side arm from taking charge.

GGA strongly advocates the overlap grip. That has never been enough to get me to try it. But maybe they are on to something.

It used to feel funny but for whatever reason, maybe because I used to be trying to have the trail arm in charge. The overlap feels fine when I try it now. I haven't been able to hit any balls with it yet though. Has anyone made the switch, and if so, what happened?
I think that I remember reading that Moe was left handed.That could be why head felt that the lead arm was in control.

May 10th, 2010, 7:16 pm #4

that he studied under Bertholy , who taught lead arm as a rod for control, and right arm for power, released involuntarily via PSM.

Snowman, the trail hand is usually to active in a bad swing. An overlap grip can be an aid in preventing this. Bertholy advocated a double overlap grip for practice, and suggested maybe even letting it be your all time grip, as he also said it takes the trail hand out of the swing.

I used when i first read it in GSC 101 and have made it my all time grip ever since...can't imagine going back.

Hogan in Five Fundamentals...suggests practicing by hitting shots with just the middle finger of the trail hand attached to the club.

You want the trial hand involved, but not until the right time....using a double overlap grip can help in learning that..

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!
Last edited by mcirishman57 on May 10th, 2010, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 11th, 2010, 1:02 am #5

I went to a 10 finger grip when I injured my right hand below the knuckle of my 3rd finger beside the little finger..
It got very painful with the single overlap.. I used the
10 finger grip for about a year.. I decided to try the
Single Overlap again now that my hand is well.
I place the left hand grip below my knuckles, close my hand around the grip. It is a solid grip.. The right hand grip now is the Overlap, I place the right little finger on top of the left index. (not between).. I wouldn't go back to a 10 finger unless I had a hand injury again..
It works best for me..
Good Luck,
Ron rofox

May 11th, 2010, 1:58 am #6

that he studied under Bertholy , who taught lead arm as a rod for control, and right arm for power, released involuntarily via PSM.

Snowman, the trail hand is usually to active in a bad swing. An overlap grip can be an aid in preventing this. Bertholy advocated a double overlap grip for practice, and suggested maybe even letting it be your all time grip, as he also said it takes the trail hand out of the swing.

I used when i first read it in GSC 101 and have made it my all time grip ever since...can't imagine going back.

Hogan in Five Fundamentals...suggests practicing by hitting shots with just the middle finger of the trail hand attached to the club.

You want the trial hand involved, but not until the right time....using a double overlap grip can help in learning that..

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!
But I'm getting cold feet. I was already making nice progress on balancing the roles of the lead and trail arms, but I got attracted to the overlap as a shortcut. I am going to stay the course for now. When I hit my midseason slump, I'll take another look at it.

May 11th, 2010, 9:28 am #7

I use a reverse overlap.My lead hand pointer finger is on top of my trail hand pinky.Saw Scott doing it at the school I attended and it works for me.

gsw

May 12th, 2010, 3:14 am #8

In my video of IMA Scott talks about using a ten finger grip or a reverse overlap grip while swinging the IMA way. He never says anything about using a normal overlap grip. So your reverse overlap grip would be correct as per Scott's instructions.

Stan

May 12th, 2010, 9:25 am #9

Scott never taught the reverse overlap grip I just observed him using it(I think it was just with certain clubs 10years a long time to remember).It helps me keep my hands together which I had problems with using the 10 finger grip.

May 12th, 2010, 10:24 am #10

In "Master The Golf Swing" Scott does mention the reverse overlap grip as an option.