Stack and Tilt

Stack and Tilt

November 27th, 2008, 6:54 pm #1

Chazman,

I have read some of your comments regarding stack and tilt
and was wondering if you thought the DVD is worth the money. I tried stack and
tilt late this fall and has some success with the short irons. I am considering
purchasing the DVD, but with all the information in Golf Digest and You Tube, I
am wondering if I will get any more information.

Are you still using stack and tilt and do you recommend it over some of the
other programs? I had being using IMA, but never feel like I take a divot and
have solid ball contact.

November 28th, 2008, 2:39 am #2

I suspect that you may not be setting up correctly for the IMA drills if you are not taking a divot. For instance if you are drilling with a 7 iron with ball played off of your sternum then you should be setting up with:
The weight on the lead foot.
The hands even with the lead leg with the shaft leaning forward considerably.
The body slanted back with head over the trail knee.

If you are in the position that I tried to outline you will take a divot as there is no other choice if you hit the ball solidly.

Regards, Herbert

November 28th, 2008, 7:31 pm #3

When I do the drills, (3-5) I take a slight divot, but when I take a full swing I don't. Also, I struggle to get the weight back to the lead foot.

November 29th, 2008, 6:38 am #4

Chazman,

have solid ball contact.
Not quite as conciously as I was before, I just key on not making a weight shift to the rear and that seems to have cured most of my problems of hitting the ball thin.

November 29th, 2008, 11:34 am #5

Is the DVD worth the money, or is most of the information available in Golf Digest and You Tube?

November 29th, 2008, 1:41 pm #6

Not quite as conciously as I was before, I just key on not making a weight shift to the rear and that seems to have cured most of my problems of hitting the ball thin.
I'm still using my Jim Hardy 2-plane swing, but I've adopted the Stack and Tilt set-up. Keeping my weight about 60/40 on the set-up (and leaving it there) has all but eliminated topping and hitting behind the ball (which was a major problem with my swing). I've been considering ordering the Stack and Tilt training CD, but have read reports indicating the CD is not worth the price. Our local newspaper (Prescott Arizona) is running an ad offering Stack and Tilt lessons at one of our golf courses. May give that a try.

If anyone would like to read up on the Stack and Tilt swing, just type "Stack and Tilt golf" into the Google search and you'll find a lot of articles on the swing.

Allen

November 29th, 2008, 10:23 pm #7

When I do the drills, (3-5) I take a slight divot, but when I take a full swing I don't. Also, I struggle to get the weight back to the lead foot.
If you are having trouble getting your weight back to your lead foot with IMA then you are likely loosing the 'brace of your trail leg' dur to allowing your hips to move away from the target in the backswing. Your trail leg should be angled towards the target and that angle should not change in the backswing (trail leg brace). If this is the case then the only 'shifting' of weight is due to the turning of the torso and the turning back of the torso will move your weight back to your lead foot.

Keep the brace of your trail leg.

You say your divots are shallow with drills 3-5. Divots should never be deep however there is a proper divot depth for a given ball position. Divots should only be a scrape of the ground with a ball position under your lead shoulder. This suggests that there you have an early release error (trail arm extends prior to club horizontal and parallel down the line at apx 6/100 of a second before impact) that grows with the amplitude of your swing. Your trail arm and wrist need to stay bent apx 90 deg until your trail elbow is in front of your trail hip and your hands are apx over the ball. When this is done correctly the bottom of the swing arc will be directly under your lead shoulder when the club is in line with your lead arm (viewed perpendicular to the target line). If the release is early the bottom of the swing arc will be further back and the radius will be shorter (because the club has passed alignment with the lead arm). The result will be either thin or fat shots (when you compensate).

Don't allow your trail arm to 'piston' (straighten) until your trail elbow is in front of your trail hip and the club is parallel to the target line.

Peter

November 29th, 2008, 10:57 pm #8

Chazman,

have solid ball contact.
If he has no objection, i can send it to you
next week.

JC

November 30th, 2008, 2:03 am #9

That would be great. What is your feeling about the DVD?

November 30th, 2008, 7:49 pm #10

I'm still using my Jim Hardy 2-plane swing, but I've adopted the Stack and Tilt set-up. Keeping my weight about 60/40 on the set-up (and leaving it there) has all but eliminated topping and hitting behind the ball (which was a major problem with my swing). I've been considering ordering the Stack and Tilt training CD, but have read reports indicating the CD is not worth the price. Our local newspaper (Prescott Arizona) is running an ad offering Stack and Tilt lessons at one of our golf courses. May give that a try.

If anyone would like to read up on the Stack and Tilt swing, just type "Stack and Tilt golf" into the Google search and you'll find a lot of articles on the swing.

Allen
I'm an S+Ter and have the DVDs. If you can find local instruction in person I would always recommend that over the DVDs, though you might want to buy them as a source of reference. They are excellent stuff, if somewhat drably presented, although the material could easily have been put onto 3 DVDs instead of 4, thus reducing the price somewhat. Another triumph for the American profit motive....