Speed Chain Testing Has Begun!

Speed Chain Testing Has Begun!

November 13th, 2010, 4:03 am #1

I have begun a training and testing project of the Speed Chain. I am going to train with one and record my results and progress. So if you've ever wondered about this and have thought about pulling the trigger, but held off, now you can let me "try it before you buy it".

I will be training every other day with it through the winter and will be posting my results and observations in The Blueprint forum as I go along. (You don't have to join the forum to read the thread, but you do if you want to post.)

The project description and first days results are up and can be read here.

All the best,

Kevin

"A Blueprint For Golf Excellence"

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

November 13th, 2010, 11:23 pm #2

Kevin,

If you attach a stout 2 foot bungee cord to the end of the chain and attach the other end to a 25 lb plate you will avoid injuring yourself.

Barrda

November 13th, 2010, 11:58 pm #3

Must have read the thread eh? I will probably do something like what you recommend...though I have figured out the action now.

Kevin

November 14th, 2010, 10:39 pm #4

I have begun a training and testing project of the Speed Chain. I am going to train with one and record my results and progress. So if you've ever wondered about this and have thought about pulling the trigger, but held off, now you can let me "try it before you buy it".

I will be training every other day with it through the winter and will be posting my results and observations in The Blueprint forum as I go along. (You don't have to join the forum to read the thread, but you do if you want to post.)

All the best,

Kevin

http://authenticgolf.net/simplemachines ... topic=87.0

Kevin

November 15th, 2010, 4:16 pm #5

All the best,

Kevin

Seems strange to train speed with something heavy like the speed chain. I used one a few times last year and did not see much benefit. It may be good for someone with very little to no lag, but I don't see how you learn to move fast with that heavy chain.

The problem with your test is that you are doing so many different programs at the same time that it will be hard to know what helped and what hurt your progress.

Running, biking, and raquetball helped me the most. Weight training did not seem to help with distance. There is no question that overall fitness would help one hit the ball better, but for speed I would learn to move fast, not slow.

Ham

November 15th, 2010, 4:31 pm #6

How do you know what programs I'm doing? Fact is you don't. Free your mind Stay tuned And quit being so negative You may learn something.

Some people see a solution to every problem.... Others see a problem to every solution.

Good day

Kevin

November 15th, 2010, 4:35 pm #7

Seems strange to train speed with something heavy like the speed chain. I used one a few times last year and did not see much benefit. It may be good for someone with very little to no lag, but I don't see how you learn to move fast with that heavy chain.

The problem with your test is that you are doing so many different programs at the same time that it will be hard to know what helped and what hurt your progress.

Running, biking, and raquetball helped me the most. Weight training did not seem to help with distance. There is no question that overall fitness would help one hit the ball better, but for speed I would learn to move fast, not slow.

Ham
of the speed chain is that there is a big reduction in weight when the chain unloads after the transition point (from BS to DS.) There are many claims of good results. It will be interesting to see if Kevin gets any speed improvements.

November 15th, 2010, 5:39 pm #8

This speed chain idea was new to me.

Apparently the idea is to add resistance in the form of inertia without adding weight.

This inertial resistance only occurs during acceleration. Constant speed means no force. Of course you're turning a circule, which IS an acceleration. But may not be in the direction you want.

Why not tie a small parachute to your clubhead? That would add no significant weight, and guarantee the resistance is at precisely the correct direction.

November 15th, 2010, 6:16 pm #9

How do you know what programs I'm doing? Fact is you don't. Free your mind Stay tuned And quit being so negative You may learn something.

Some people see a solution to every problem.... Others see a problem to every solution.

Good day

Kevin

maybe I know as you post every day what you are doing. LOL Or is somebody else posting in your name???

It just does not make sense to move something slow in the hope that you will increase swing speed. Maybe it will work, but as I said I have tried it and was not impressed that it would help me. Maybe it will help you however.

I see a problem with moving slowly to increase speed. Something does not add up there.

Go ahead and knock yourself out though. LOL

Ham

November 15th, 2010, 6:19 pm #10

This speed chain idea was new to me.

Apparently the idea is to add resistance in the form of inertia without adding weight.

This inertial resistance only occurs during acceleration. Constant speed means no force. Of course you're turning a circule, which IS an acceleration. But may not be in the direction you want.

Why not tie a small parachute to your clubhead? That would add no significant weight, and guarantee the resistance is at precisely the correct direction.
The swing fan is like what you propose.

The problem with these things and their testimonials is that most of the long drive hitters already were long when they started using the chain. I would love to see a real scientific test done on stuff like this. To do it properly one would need to use the speed chain without doing any other workouts.

Ham