Speed Chain Test

Speed Chain Test

November 23rd, 2010, 9:12 pm #1

Final report here. And here is info about ordering the speed chain from me. Up to 25% off for all Blueprint Customers, 12% for all SA Forum members. SA forum members NOT Blueprint customers send me your SA Forum handle in your email or PayPal instructions. kmcmullen@authenticgolf.net

The speed chain is a winner! Here is the beginning of the test.

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!
Last edited by mcirishman57 on December 16th, 2010, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 24th, 2010, 1:03 pm #2

to see what would happen if you were hitting a ball. Can you make decent contact, with a good launch angle and low spin rate? Will the speed be higher or lower with a ball?

Most people I work with have less speed without a ball then they do with one.

Ham

November 24th, 2010, 1:35 pm #3

Friend of mine can hit 130 mph...but never hits the fairway!

I'm not worried about the final number as the end result. The fact that I am improving on my swing speed is what I am looking for. My best no ball swings before starting were about 115 mph, so I am swinging the club faster and improving on my club head speed.

FWIW, at my last launch session my no ball swings and ball swings registered the same +/- a 1-2 mph.

Kevin

November 25th, 2010, 2:47 am #4

to see what would happen if you were hitting a ball. Can you make decent contact, with a good launch angle and low spin rate? Will the speed be higher or lower with a ball?

Ham
re -routed here Pedro said -
"I am wonderimng if you checked your ball speed on a monitor? I suspect that yout timing and tempo will need to be re-learned if your speed is that much higher when you actually strike balls.

Long time ago when I took some playing lessons from an old school instructor, at the range he told me there are 3 swings other than putting. 1-Practice swing speed 2- playing speed swing, and the 3-crush it swing speed. I can only guess that your training at the crush it swing speed swing to increase your playing swing speed.

Good info though keep up the great testing."
I have not been on a launch monitor since beginning speed chain training. I did go on the monitor after I began training with my over speed club and saw an increase in club head speed and ball speed. Also, my iron shots increased in both distance and tighter dispersion since beginning "speed training" with my over speed club.

I am not sure I agree with you on re-learning timing and tempo...it has worked out with me that as my swing speed has increased from the 90's pre-Bertholy, to 110ish after a couple years of Bertholy training to 115 after the over speed training - my swing has "adapted" to this increased speed - all I am doing is improving my ability to swing at a higher speed - be it with better technique, more developed fast twitch firing, acquiring new motor neural pathways for speed etc.

I do execute all my swings on clearkey though - I do this because I want to give my system the best chance to make my best swing. Interestingly, one of my early "proofs" that validated clearkey concepts and the automatic principle was concerning speed. Back then, I trained with a speed stik, and Carey Mumford suggested I make some swings on clearkey and compare those with swings on manual.

Of course I did, and my clearkey swings were always faster, by about 5mph. Carey Mumford's explanation was "When you execute on automatic with subconscious direction, you always the best your system has to offer - because you are using the best system for executing athletic motion. A clearkey swing always has a better release than a swing that you are thinking about it..." So I guess what I am saying is I am swinging with my on course swing.

I do agree there are different swings for different objectives. Long drive guys need 1 out of 6. Drive with those numbers on the tour and you will be looking for work as a club pro. We don't use our hips or torque with a big turn for a 30 yard pitch, and for an iron I take about a 3/4 turn.

My plan is to train all winter, and then once I plateau out again, get a detailed analysis done with a reputable fitter that has Trackman technology. It should be noted that my current driver is 44.5 inches long, and is five years old. Club fitters may want to chime in but I have read that club head speed increases 1-2mph for every 1/2 inch of length. I know there is way better technology out there now, so I should be able to get a few mph just by getting the "latest and greatest" and being fit properly to optimize launch, spin etc. No sense in getting on a monitor until everything stabilizes again.

I don't really care what the final number is, I just want to see how much of an improvement can be made, and more importantly retained.

Question for the group - does that 120 mph swing I posted look unbalanced or wild? Cause it doesn't feel like it. Just feels like my swing except a bit tighter in the turn and torque.

Kevin

November 25th, 2010, 4:25 am #5

Final report here. And here is info about ordering the speed chain from me. Up to 25% off for all Blueprint Customers, 12% for all SA Forum members. SA forum members NOT Blueprint customers send me your SA Forum handle in your email or PayPal instructions. kmcmullen@authenticgolf.net

Kevin

in January of this year:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/72052/me ... +others+to

Must have been measuring the speed inaccurately at that time?

Regards, Herbert

November 25th, 2010, 1:16 pm #6

I would swing my speed stick and use that "measurement". I have since learned that it isn't that accurate, and others have reported inflated speed readings with their speed stik when compared to readings. So yes I was "measuring" my speed with something different than I am now, but no...it wasn't a very accurate measurement.

In early February of last year, I visited with moestheman ( forum member here and customer of mine ) and his friend who is a club fitter. Imagine my shock when my swings were registering 105 - 112 mph! (Ball speed was about 155 with spin around 2500.) This was about the same time AllenS and I began having convo's about developing additonal speed etc.

Wayne and AllenS both have a SSSRT and talked about it here, so I am pretty confident of the measurements now, because if anything they register low.

To me the important thing to keep in mind is the increase in speed since the training began. For example, even though the speed stik is "optimistic" - I was still able to swing it faster after training than before I began training. Same thing now. My speed has increased since I began the speed chain training...that's the thing to remember.

Of course like Ham said, the real acid test is can I put it on a ball? Once I level out I plan on getting some launch monitor numbers...when I do I will post them. If I get on a monitor "for fun" before then then same thing.

Kevin

December 5th, 2010, 10:40 pm #7

Ham
And I have a witness!

Met with fellow SA member (and Blueprinter) Rick at the golf dome and hit balls. I showed him the over speed club, and the speed chain and after he worked both of those for a bit his club head speed increased about 7-10 mph from his earlier readings. I am really convinced that the muscle fibers and motor neural pathways for speed are activated and developed better by using these two training aids. Only bummer was the lighting was not good enough for the high speed to work, so I have a bunch of clips to dark to see anything.

I mainly was concerned to see how the ball was flying and if any thing bad had crept into my swing since all I have been doing is training with the chain and swinging with no ball. I also wanted to see if my club head speed stayed the same when hitting balls as when just making "dry swings". Several folks have opined that "their experience" was that club head speed when not hitting balls is always faster than when hitting balls. IMO when when this happens the golfer is too "ball oriented" in their approach and mindset.
I am happy to report that for me and my new speed gains, that is not the case, and that all is fine, and I was clocking 120+ mph and hitting nice shots. I hit one 126, but cold topped it, and another 128, but it was bananna'd out of the range! Still, I hit very good shots and can report that my swing is intact with no major bad things having crept into from training with the chain. I hit Rick's driver which was an inch longer than mine and had one at 125 and another at 123, so perhaps I can go longer when get my new driver.

BTW - Rick had some new irons that I really liked. They had Mizuno heads and Project X steel shafts in a 5.5. flex. They were a full 10 mph faster than my clubs and felt oh so sweet! I might have to look into those shafts this spring. Anybody else play these shafts?

Good times...felt good to hit some balls.

Kevin

"A Blueprint For Golf Excellence"

December 5th, 2010, 10:44 pm #8

There are visible changes in your swing that would result in greater club head speed at impact without changes in 'muscle fibers and motor neural pathways'.

Peter

December 6th, 2010, 1:49 am #9

it is a good thing. We had a good discussion a while back about fast twitch recruitment, training, and development. I heard lots of what you said, but also kept listening to others too. Based on all of that listening I decided to embark on a "speed training" program.

The only thing I have been "learning" since then is how to swing faster. I did this first by performing full swing/full speed versions of the Blueprint/Bertholy drills. I reasoned that I had lost speed because of all the slow motion (espec Rifle Barrel) drills I was doing ( I was training to swing slow, and that is what I got), without hitting many full speed shots. Then I built an over speed club and began training with that. Soon after that my swing speed jumped 5 mph and then leveled out again.

I decided that I would try the speed chain this winter. The speed chain people make the claim that fast twitch motor recruitment and speed pathways are developed quickly and with great efficiency in a short period of time - months not years. Are they? I don't know. I do know that by using the chain, you learn how to swing faster....something new is definitely being learned, and so by inference that means a new pathway for speed is being developed.

There is no doubt, the changes that have been made, have been a direct result of training with the speed chain. More developed Type II fast twitch fibers? New motor neural paths for speed? Maybe so, maybe not. But there is no denying changes are being made...and the chain is the reason. The test still has a week to go, and I will see it through, but at this stage I'd say we have a keeper...whatever the hell is being developed and trained!

Oh yeah, I have been training with a speed chain on loan from one of my students who is still in the process of building his swing. He thinks this is the lightest version. When the test concludes, and I return his chain I will be ordering the XXstrong version for continued use.

Kevin

December 15th, 2010, 5:37 am #10

Kevin

Well, it's a wrap, last post here on this...go ahead and buy with confidence...this thing is the real deal. The gains realized have been sustained, and it has performed as advertised. Here's the latest from Today 12-14-10

Amazing really, unbelievable had I not experienced myself. Most amazing is how quick the gains were realized and how much relative to the work put in. I will be writing a report that summarizes the key things about the test, basically just the condensed version of the threads. It will be a pdf doc and I will send it free to any one that asks. If you would like a copy, just email me at kmcmullen@authenticgolf.net

If you are thinking about a speed chain purchase, I have some good news along those lines as well, so mention that in your email.

All the best,

Kevin