Something Scott Hazledine says...

Something Scott Hazledine says...

December 13th, 2009, 4:29 pm #1

Scott says the following:
Part 2
The back swing is all about comfort and getting the golf club up to the top of the swing so that you can start down correctly. Anything that you do on the back swing has no influence over your down swing motion. So use a back swing that you feel comfortable with, and can maintain rhythm with.

The above quote is form Scigolf:http://www.scigolf.com/scigolf/scott.htm

I am not sure about this as I am starting to believe that I tend to repeat my backswing motion on my downswing. Have any of you noticed anything like that in your swing?

Scott does have a drill (number 5) where he mentions that the the drill is valuable because you pass back through the backswing position on your downswing:
I like this drill especially because once you have set this parallel down the line it gives you a point that you want to pass through as you are hitting the golf ball.
He also says after hitting a nice shot with this drill: In fact I hit it just as good this way maybe even better then I do making a legitimate backswing.

When I was trying to swing the IMA way and doing the drills every day I noticed that I did hit it better on the course when using drill number five as opposed to my 'legitimate backswing'. LOL or maybe illegitimate?

Regards, Herbert

December 14th, 2009, 1:41 am #2

If I understand the question....

I have had the same sensation as you, Herbert.
I feel that my backswing DIRECTLY correlates to what happens on the downswing. 100%. I feel I have to make a specific, correct backswing in order to make a good downswing. That sounds so obvious, but it does not sound like what Scott is saying.

December 14th, 2009, 2:34 am #3

that is not what Scott is saying. Scott is saying that the only importance of the backswing is to get you to a correct top of swing position. That correct top of swing position makes a correct downswing easier.

Your back swing might have a correlation to your downswing if modification of your backswing causes you to not get to a correct top of swing position. It might also influence your downswing if you only pass through the correct top of swing position wihout actually pausing so that your momentum effectively prevents a correct downswing though you may have momentarily been at a correct top of swing position.

Scott's point about Impact Backwards Drill #5 which starts with the club parallel to the target line (effectively eliminating part of the backswing) is that it helps some people to return to this correct position (club horizontal and parallel to the target line) if they start in it so it is fresh in their 'memory'.

Peter

December 14th, 2009, 2:52 am #4

Which one is really the legit backswing?

Maybe for some golfers the drill backswing is more legitimate then the 'legitimate' backswing.
LOL anyway according to Scott the backswing does not matter as long as it gets you to a place where you can make a good downswing. I don't think that Scott would have a problem with a golfer using a backswing that was drill 5 or similar.

It is interesting that Scott says that he hits it maybe better with the drill 5 backswing. I am guessing that he would not use such a backswing in play because it looks funny? Of course he hits it really good with a legitimate backswing so it does not matter for him anyway.

Regards, Herbert

December 14th, 2009, 4:27 am #5

that might be true however in one of my classes with Scott he corrected my address position to be less like actual impact position which I took as an inclination to a more 'normal' looking swing for the course.

Peter

December 14th, 2009, 6:48 pm #6

Did changing your setup position have an effect on your swing?

Herbert

December 15th, 2009, 4:16 pm #7

Not that I noticed <n/t>