Some thoughts for Moe Purists

Some thoughts for Moe Purists

August 20th, 2009, 3:51 pm #1

Some years ago, Sanders (Big Grip) said, ..."if you want to swing like Moe you must short-grip the club."

The black weighted things on the back of my Ping irons came loose on two clubs so the factory replaced all of them for free, and I replaced them with the heaviest weights they had.

For 1/2 the season I have been short gripping my one inch extra long Ping S59 clus almost three inches short. My accuracy got better. Suprisingly, my distance didn't suffer.

I am still trying to figure out why Moe's clubs, like a seven iron, look different when he sets up with them face dead-straight forward...not inside looking like most wanne be Moe people do.

He, reportedly, ground his iron clubs down to the first groove!!! His clubs, at address, look like they are 3 degrees leaned forward. Recently, I have been wondering if he ground the clubs down to the first groove so that they would set flat on the group with the handle leaned so far forward?

I ask this question every year, and hope that some day we will get an answer.

August 21st, 2009, 12:03 am #2

golf with Moe in the early 80's and then again in approx 2003. The clubs he had on both occasions were not ground down at all. They were long but not backweighted. According to Moe the set of Spaldings he had in the 80's were E8.When I hit them they felt very solid. I didn't hit the Titleists he played with in 2003 but they were the nicest I had ever seen. He told me they were only available to tour players.

August 22nd, 2009, 10:55 am #3

I am trying to piece this together. As for your information, how much longer were his clubs? Like an inch? How did they get a set of blades up to E8? Is that possible? In the 1980's was well after his competetive days did he play promo clubs?

Scott H. had some clubs of Moes. The driver had tape on the bottom...layers of it. The irons had tape too, but I didn't know enough to see if the bottoms had been ground to the first line on the face.

I have read two articles about Moe grinding the soles down to the first line on the face. It is the only thing that I can see that would allow for the look of the club as he placed it behind the ball.

Journeyman tape, www.moenorman.org and see video on bottom right...all have that three degree forward look but that head just sets in there differently.

I am not denying your information Doug, just trying to understand the look of that club when he sets it behind the ball. No conventional club will look like that...there is something there we don't understand, and it is more than shaft lean and more than the look of an off-set club on the ground...his clubs were not offset...not the ones I saw, anyway...they were muscle backs...square toe.

gsw

August 23rd, 2009, 3:49 am #4

Some years ago, Sanders (Big Grip) said, ..."if you want to swing like Moe you must short-grip the club."

The black weighted things on the back of my Ping irons came loose on two clubs so the factory replaced all of them for free, and I replaced them with the heaviest weights they had.

For 1/2 the season I have been short gripping my one inch extra long Ping S59 clus almost three inches short. My accuracy got better. Suprisingly, my distance didn't suffer.

I am still trying to figure out why Moe's clubs, like a seven iron, look different when he sets up with them face dead-straight forward...not inside looking like most wanne be Moe people do.

He, reportedly, ground his iron clubs down to the first groove!!! His clubs, at address, look like they are 3 degrees leaned forward. Recently, I have been wondering if he ground the clubs down to the first groove so that they would set flat on the group with the handle leaned so far forward?

I ask this question every year, and hope that some day we will get an answer.
Remington

I simply cannot hit a golf ball with the club fully extended in my hands. I always grip the club down at least a bit for every swing and I usually split my hands a bit on the grip, so I understand what you are saying. I have made clubs too long just so I could grip down on them to hit the ball. I wish that I could find grips that are much longer than the standard 10-inch grips that are sold. I need grips that are about 16 inches long so that I can grip down without putting my hands on the steel shafts.

There is nothing standard about my golf swing or game!

Stan

August 23rd, 2009, 9:32 pm #5

The best long grips I have seen come from Dave Pelz. They come standard on his wedges. You can order them here athttp://www.pelzgolf.com/dave_pelz_golf_ ... _pelz.aspx

Best Regards,

Ham

August 23rd, 2009, 11:24 pm #6

I am trying to piece this together. As for your information, how much longer were his clubs? Like an inch? How did they get a set of blades up to E8? Is that possible? In the 1980's was well after his competetive days did he play promo clubs?

Scott H. had some clubs of Moes. The driver had tape on the bottom...layers of it. The irons had tape too, but I didn't know enough to see if the bottoms had been ground to the first line on the face.

I have read two articles about Moe grinding the soles down to the first line on the face. It is the only thing that I can see that would allow for the look of the club as he placed it behind the ball.

Journeyman tape, www.moenorman.org and see video on bottom right...all have that three degree forward look but that head just sets in there differently.

I am not denying your information Doug, just trying to understand the look of that club when he sets it behind the ball. No conventional club will look like that...there is something there we don't understand, and it is more than shaft lean and more than the look of an off-set club on the ground...his clubs were not offset...not the ones I saw, anyway...they were muscle backs...square toe.

the first time I played golf with Moe he had just won his second Canadian Senior PGA . For those Moeites out there was it seven in a row? He had loaded the back of his Spaldings with lead tape. They were a custom grind that did have a Square toe. He choked up that day 2 to 3 inches. His followthru with his irons on that day were no higher than shoulder height pointing the club head at the flag stick. His driver FT was longer but not much. He told me he always tried to shake hands with the flag stick with his irons. I've heard him say this on more than one occasion after that.

gsw

August 25th, 2009, 2:03 pm #7

The best long grips I have seen come from Dave Pelz. They come standard on his wedges. You can order them here athttp://www.pelzgolf.com/dave_pelz_golf_ ... _pelz.aspx

Best Regards,

Ham
Thanks Ham, I looked at those on line. I may try them.

Stan

August 25th, 2009, 8:46 pm #8

the first time I played golf with Moe he had just won his second Canadian Senior PGA . For those Moeites out there was it seven in a row? He had loaded the back of his Spaldings with lead tape. They were a custom grind that did have a Square toe. He choked up that day 2 to 3 inches. His followthru with his irons on that day were no higher than shoulder height pointing the club head at the flag stick. His driver FT was longer but not much. He told me he always tried to shake hands with the flag stick with his irons. I've heard him say this on more than one occasion after that.
Doug, Mike Morley from ND, told me about this that Moe didn't really come out of the shot, when he played him in Canada. I got to see this in a private video of Moe, and it is also apparent in the 1986 video that Graves sells. It shows that left side resistance.

Do you remember, if with the backweighted Spaldings that they were ground down to the first groove?

August 26th, 2009, 4:43 pm #9

bit I sent you an email today with another proposal about buying the Bertholy book, look forward to your response.

David

August 27th, 2009, 12:07 am #10

Doug, Mike Morley from ND, told me about this that Moe didn't really come out of the shot, when he played him in Canada. I got to see this in a private video of Moe, and it is also apparent in the 1986 video that Graves sells. It shows that left side resistance.

Do you remember, if with the backweighted Spaldings that they were ground down to the first groove?
No the Spaldings I saw were not ground . I never saw Moe come out of a shot. I did see all his iron follow thrus that day point virtually at the flag stick at about shoulder height. I was very observant because we teed off on the 4th hole behind Bertholy's house. Paul told me to watch him carefully because he was the best ballstriker in Canada.