sitting action

sitting action

May 4th, 2009, 4:05 am #1

Hello my Bertholy peeps,

The sitting action allows my hand to drop dowm to in front of my right foot and still keep my hands ahead of the club head. I have this device called the swing right and when I do the sitting action whith the swing right I am able to make it "click" on the hardest position #1 wich I was not able to do before, the number I could do before was #5 and that required a very hard swing. Not that I think I have the Bertholy program #1 down or thinking I am advancing fast Im just putting this down because I am amazed at what has happened so far since I started the Bertholy program #1, feels great, thank you Paul, Doug and the Bertholy peeps on this forum.

Arthur

May 4th, 2009, 8:28 pm #2

that you are achieving good results. However, I'm not sure that I follow your description of what's happening. The sitting action is slight and is a result of starting the DS by moving your lead knee toward the target. As such, this will not directly cause your "hand to drop down in front of your right foot." The end action of the lead knee/sitting movement at the start of the DS is the Master Position in which your trail arm/hand are still pretty much in the full backswing position. This lead of the lower body and lag of the upper body helps preserve the angles and eliminate the "hit impulse."

From here as you continue to turn your hips you can drop your trail elbow down in front of your trail hip while maintaining a full bend in your trail arm/hand (Keystone), and eventually your hands will find themselves over the trail foot while still maintaining significant angle retention. Are you saying that the "sitting" movement enables you to get to this position with the trail arm/hand "bent like a dog's hind leg"?

Personally, I never got much out of the image of the "sitting" position. It just happens naturally because you are spreading your legs apart at the beginning of the DS. This initial movement of the lead knee doesn't cause much trail hip rotation and allows you to more easily drop the bent trail elbow in front of the trail hip. IMHO, this and the resulting lead/lag is the real benefit of the PB programs.

As I look back at all of the other golf training that I've done over the years, I realize that there are many drills for each specific problem. Unfortunately, I had about 20 swing flaws and doing different drills for each is not terribly productive. The beauty of doing the PB programs is that it teaches you ALL of the correct positions ... all at the same time. By just doing these four programs, I find that all of my swing flaws are gradually disappearing, without me having to think about any of them. I've had this annoying flaw for years where I would lift my lead shoulder right before impact (kind of like a shrug.) I realized while video taping myself this weekend that the problem is gone. I never even thought about it while doing any of the PB programs. It just disappeared on its own. I can't tell you how thrilled I am about that.

Regardless as to how it may sound, PB really is the most efficient and productive training system out there. You've just got to put the work in to make it stick.

May 6th, 2009, 4:40 am #3

Hi Allen,
After reading your post I was going to respond but decided to video my swing with the swing rite(a picture is worth a thousand words or in my case maybe twenty or less) and post it here but I couldnt so I tried you tube and Im waiting for the email to confirm my account and will post it there and get some feed back from this forum (fresh meat) heheheheheh.

Arthur

May 6th, 2009, 5:12 pm #4

that you are achieving good results. However, I'm not sure that I follow your description of what's happening. The sitting action is slight and is a result of starting the DS by moving your lead knee toward the target. As such, this will not directly cause your "hand to drop down in front of your right foot." The end action of the lead knee/sitting movement at the start of the DS is the Master Position in which your trail arm/hand are still pretty much in the full backswing position. This lead of the lower body and lag of the upper body helps preserve the angles and eliminate the "hit impulse."

From here as you continue to turn your hips you can drop your trail elbow down in front of your trail hip while maintaining a full bend in your trail arm/hand (Keystone), and eventually your hands will find themselves over the trail foot while still maintaining significant angle retention. Are you saying that the "sitting" movement enables you to get to this position with the trail arm/hand "bent like a dog's hind leg"?

Personally, I never got much out of the image of the "sitting" position. It just happens naturally because you are spreading your legs apart at the beginning of the DS. This initial movement of the lead knee doesn't cause much trail hip rotation and allows you to more easily drop the bent trail elbow in front of the trail hip. IMHO, this and the resulting lead/lag is the real benefit of the PB programs.

As I look back at all of the other golf training that I've done over the years, I realize that there are many drills for each specific problem. Unfortunately, I had about 20 swing flaws and doing different drills for each is not terribly productive. The beauty of doing the PB programs is that it teaches you ALL of the correct positions ... all at the same time. By just doing these four programs, I find that all of my swing flaws are gradually disappearing, without me having to think about any of them. I've had this annoying flaw for years where I would lift my lead shoulder right before impact (kind of like a shrug.) I realized while video taping myself this weekend that the problem is gone. I never even thought about it while doing any of the PB programs. It just disappeared on its own. I can't tell you how thrilled I am about that.

Regardless as to how it may sound, PB really is the most efficient and productive training system out there. You've just got to put the work in to make it stick.
Hello Allen and all of the Bertholy peeps,

I was able to post my swing on you tube it is titled "my swing rite golf swing" it runs for a little over a minute and a half, if you can take a look, I would welcome your feedback or feedback from the rest of the pack here at this forum would also be appreciated. Time for the feeding frenzy to begin I mean feedback to begin,heheheheheh.

Arthur

May 6th, 2009, 10:12 pm #5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PfkFcuGww

Nice swing motion Arthur!
I can tell you are very athletic and when you
connect with one, i bet you hit it a long way.

One thing i noticed in your swing is you seem to
WATCH the club go back in your back swing and you have
a lot of head motion as you do so.

Do you do that when you hit a ball or is it because
you are swinging that gadget?
Good swing with lots of power- how long have you played?

JC

May 7th, 2009, 12:42 am #6

Hello Allen and all of the Bertholy peeps,

I was able to post my swing on you tube it is titled "my swing rite golf swing" it runs for a little over a minute and a half, if you can take a look, I would welcome your feedback or feedback from the rest of the pack here at this forum would also be appreciated. Time for the feeding frenzy to begin I mean feedback to begin,heheheheheh.

Arthur

It's vicious! Really a good basic move but a
critical look shows your head moving way forward
before impact. I don't know what that might do
to a golf ball but it looks pretty good with
swingrite. I wonder what setting you could get
a click with if you kept your nose over your
trail knee till impact?

May 7th, 2009, 3:28 am #7

JC
Yeah the head goes back, up, down, forward. I dont know if its because of the swing rite or from my baseball softball days, I'll have to record some swings at the driving range and see. I've played off and on for about 10 yrs, mostly off recently and my golf is mostly driving range sessions due to money. But hitting some golf ball at the range and hearing that wonderfull sound when the club head its the ball is better than not. (love that sound).

Arthur

May 7th, 2009, 3:35 am #8

It's vicious! Really a good basic move but a
critical look shows your head moving way forward
before impact. I don't know what that might do
to a golf ball but it looks pretty good with
swingrite. I wonder what setting you could get
a click with if you kept your nose over your
trail knee till impact?
I'm going to record some driving range swings soon. the swing rite is on 1 on the video.

Arthur

May 7th, 2009, 12:47 pm #9

JC

#1 Very little slantdicular at address. You want more tilt away from the ball like Faldo. You are a strong guy so you can get away with the loss of power, but a better spine tilt helps other things too.

#2 I can see space under your trail foot, which indicates your weight may have moved to the outside edge of your trail foot. The weight should be focused to the inside edge of your trail foot and up into the inside of your trail leg and hip. When you turn with a correct trail leg brace your will feel lots of tension here.

#3 You don't reverse the head at all - your head should be way BACK over your trail knee and STAY THERE until well past impact.

#4 Lots of slide forward as indicated by the blue lines.

Continue to work on program one focusing extra attention on these things:

Slantdicular at address, and reverse the head, keeping it over the trail knee at minimum. Watch yourself in slow motion hitting all the key positions.

May 7th, 2009, 2:46 pm #10

I'm going to record some driving range swings soon. the swing rite is on 1 on the video.

Arthur
... on doing the PB programs. My concern is that by spending a lot of time using this device and/or hitting balls at the driving range that you will continue to ingrain bad habits. PB warns against the "premature bashing of balls." The Swing Rite might be a good training aid for increasing club head speed AFTER you've developed a fine swing, but the only way you'll remove your hit impulse is by doing the programs. The programs have you concentrate on correct positions and holding the angles while maintaining a ball focus. It's the extremes of the programs with the ball focus that eventually lead to the minimization of the hit impulse. Believe me, I've been down this road before. I used the Speed Stik a few years ago and it caused my over-the-top move and casting to go from bad to worse in a real swing. You can make a very good looking swing while using these aids ... but put a ball down and hit it with a real club and it all goes to hell.

That being said, I agree with the other commentary. You really need to ensure that you can hit all of the correct positions in program #1. That is the first order of business. Your setup is not centered and square to the target line, you do not brace your trail knee in the BS, there is too much space between your trail elbow and your trail hip at Keystone (indicating that you're not getting a bent trail elbow in front of the trail hip during the DS and/or there is too much shifting of the UB), you're not starting the DS with your lead knee but rather by shifting your hips (it's starting the DS with the lead knee that causes the proper sitting action, NOT a big lateral hip shift), you don't keep your nose over your trail knee at impact, there is too much shifting forward and not enough rotation of the LB in the DS.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be overly critical or discouraging. IMHO, I think you need to spend more time on programs #1 and #2 while looking in the mirror and abandon your swing aids or hitting balls for now. It takes time and is not a ton of fun, but the reward is worth it. I also agree that you look very athletic and seem to have a lot of potential. Good luck!
Last edited by allenws on May 7th, 2009, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.