Shot 36 today using NG.

Shot 36 today using NG.

gsw

August 15th, 2008, 3:33 am #1

I reverted to the original NG swing today due to back pain and shot an even par 36 for nine holes while playing with two golfing friends. The hardest thing to do with NG is to stand so far away from the ball. It seems that to strike the ball well with the old NG swing you must stand very far away from the ball.

Stan

August 17th, 2008, 1:13 pm #2

I shot the best golf of my career with the original NG also, and even had the Hammer golf clubs, three inches extra long. I shot par all the time, and even played a few rounds under par. However, I was short, and my scores would baloon anytime I moved off the white tees.

What I did like about the original NG is that you did learn the underhanded throwing motion. Scott Hazeldine, also, demonstrated this the best with the chip shot, and hold the right should back (R handed golfer) just a bit on the chip and you, automatically, feel that underhanded motion.

Jack gets a lot of crap, but I have always appreciated his thinking.

August 17th, 2008, 6:04 pm #3

Remington,

JK does indeed get a lot of crap. He dishes out his fair share also.

Have you ever considered Bertholy training to see if you could pick up 40 or 50 yards on your tee shots?

Regards, Herbert

August 17th, 2008, 6:29 pm #4

Herbert, I would, certainly, consider Bertholy, if I was swinging CG. However, I think Bertholy moves run contrary to single axis swinging.

Primarily, the, "catching raindrops" with the left hand. That is motion that starts well near the top of the swing, and is the antithesis of single axis golf. It's why I don't like the idea of 2.5 for single axis players...it's a close idea but no cigar.

Moe's swing happens behind the ball (way behind in some cases), back where is head is, and the hands pass the body.

I don't know what I will do about distance. 220 is a big drive for me now, and I, regularly, hit 210. What the hell, I am 66, and I hit dead straight, and am playing some of the best golf of my life so I can't really complain. Plus, I play on a pretty soft, well-watered course.

We shall see what happens this year. I am going to try and get down to Florida in the winter this year, and, perhaps, I will mess with Bertholy at that time. Never say never.

August 18th, 2008, 4:57 am #5

If you have good impact position and correct lag then I don't think that Bertholy training will help to increase distance much. If you don't then it may well be worth the trouble as you will experience something that you have not experienced to this point. The only way to know for sure is to look at video.

Regards, Herbert

August 18th, 2008, 11:29 am #6

Herbert, I would, certainly, consider Bertholy, if I was swinging CG. However, I think Bertholy moves run contrary to single axis swinging.

Primarily, the, "catching raindrops" with the left hand. That is motion that starts well near the top of the swing, and is the antithesis of single axis golf. It's why I don't like the idea of 2.5 for single axis players...it's a close idea but no cigar.

Moe's swing happens behind the ball (way behind in some cases), back where is head is, and the hands pass the body.

I don't know what I will do about distance. 220 is a big drive for me now, and I, regularly, hit 210. What the hell, I am 66, and I hit dead straight, and am playing some of the best golf of my life so I can't really complain. Plus, I play on a pretty soft, well-watered course.

We shall see what happens this year. I am going to try and get down to Florida in the winter this year, and, perhaps, I will mess with Bertholy at that time. Never say never.

If only I could get my drives to 220 yards. Think I could get to low 80s. My drive is about 190 with the rare 200. My second shot on par 4s is usually 3 or 5 wood. I will turn 69 this October and I have tried them all to get more distance. If there was a par 3 course around here I would probably play them. Usually birdie or par the par 3s.

August 18th, 2008, 3:23 pm #7

If it makes you feel any better, reportedly, the average flying distance for a 65 year old is 165 yards.

August 19th, 2008, 12:53 am #8

Thanks
Paul

August 19th, 2008, 8:07 pm #9

If it makes you feel any better, reportedly, the average flying distance for a 65 year old is 165 yards.
Hi Remington,

What club are you talking about for fly distance to 165 for 65 year old??

I'm 65 and curious..grin...
Ron rofox

gsw

August 20th, 2008, 3:03 am #10

If only I could get my drives to 220 yards. Think I could get to low 80s. My drive is about 190 with the rare 200. My second shot on par 4s is usually 3 or 5 wood. I will turn 69 this October and I have tried them all to get more distance. If there was a par 3 course around here I would probably play them. Usually birdie or par the par 3s.
At my golf course you are allowed to play from the Gold (geezer) tees when you reach 60 years of age. I am 55 years old and I play from the standard white tees. I have a friend who is 73 years old and I keep telling him that in five years I will become a very good golfer because I will suddenly gain forty or more yards on my tee shots and be able to hit short clubs to the greens for the first time in my life. I do OK now but the shorter distance to the greens will really help my game. I drive the ball between 225 and 260 now and that leaves me some long approach shots to some of the longer par four holes on my course. The par threes on the front nine of my course are a really big problem as one is over 200 yards and the other is 170 yards with a very small green that is very hard to hit. I shot 38 today with a three putt so I cannot complain much.

Stan