Setup is crucial

Setup is crucial

June 25th, 2012, 11:05 pm #1

I have been inadvertently standing a bit open, from my feet to my shoulders. Then swinging along my body lines but with the face usually aimed at the target. I think this has been going on for a year or more. I fought the resulting fade tendencies with changes other than the correct one. Now my eyes have become trained to see the open stance as being correctly aligned. When I set up square, my eyes (brain, really) are fighting me. Jeesh.

Now I've been working on the correct alignment, with a proper routine to make it happen. My eyes/brain are starting to re-orient to the correct perceptions.

It's a tough game, you can't take anything for granted. Well maybe you can, but I sure can't. I think the problem took root when at some point I stopped doing my setup routine and started simply stepping up to the ball. Laziness, I guess.

gsw

June 26th, 2012, 11:06 am #2

Don

When I watch very good golfers such as PGA professionals they all spend more time setting up for the swing then actually making the swing and players who are not so good spend almost no time at all preparing for the swing. It seems that the more time they spend getting ready to swing insures that they make a good swing.

Now that theory does not apply to Moe Norman or to myself for that matter as Moe had already spent so much time perfecting his setup on the range that he required almost no time to settle in and hit his shot right on line.

Stan