SA Hooking the Ball???/

SA Hooking the Ball???/

March 30th, 2012, 7:53 pm #1

So I have been working on SA going back to more of a Graves Golf and I am just killing every club in my bag except my driver. I can hit a 270yd driver that goes straight as an arrow then hit nothing but hooks.

I can not seem to get anything to solve it immediately. I move the ball up then back keep my spine angle.

My aim is the other issue with the driver my friend lines up behind me and tells me I am lined up to where I am hitting-so when I think I am pulling the ball he says I am lined up that way. It seems like with the driver I have to aim my lead shoulder where I want the ball to go.

The only thing saving me right now is my other clubs, when my short game is on I am feeling like I can break par.

So What's the diagnosis??

March 30th, 2012, 11:37 pm #2

If you are hitting the ball where you aim but the shot is inside the target then change your aim. You did not say your aiming procedure but I've seen this with a regular playing partner. They used to slice but after the fix it was so ingrained that they needed to aim outside that they'd move during waggles changing their feet to align outside.

You may be aiming off with other clubs as well but it may not be as noticeable because the distances are shorter. So check your aim at the range by lying down clubs or some other alignment aid (I use fiberglass driveway markers). I don't trust 'aiming my shoulder'; I pick a point on the ground near the ball that's on the target line when standing behind and then imagine a line on the ground and make my stance (feet) parallel to that line.

If you are still pulling the ball inside the target when your feet are parallel to the target line then there are other problems.

Peter

March 31st, 2012, 12:53 pm #3

So I have been working on SA going back to more of a Graves Golf and I am just killing every club in my bag except my driver. I can hit a 270yd driver that goes straight as an arrow then hit nothing but hooks.

I can not seem to get anything to solve it immediately. I move the ball up then back keep my spine angle.

My aim is the other issue with the driver my friend lines up behind me and tells me I am lined up to where I am hitting-so when I think I am pulling the ball he says I am lined up that way. It seems like with the driver I have to aim my lead shoulder where I want the ball to go.

The only thing saving me right now is my other clubs, when my short game is on I am feeling like I can break par.

practice our alignment. I mean actually practicing that part by itself until you can set your alignment every time without having to think about it. Once you can do that, you then know for certain that left or right is not your set up or alignment. Here's one approach:

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="480"></embed></object>

Kevin
The Authentic Golfer
A Blueprint For Golf Excellence
The MGS Approach
The MGS Forum

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

March 31st, 2012, 8:23 pm #4

Because I am so trail side dominant I fight hooks all the time.

Best tips I ever read to reduce and eliminate hooks are

1. make sure trail shoulder is lower than the front
2. On the downswing imagine the butt of the club is pointing four inches in front of the ball and four inches above.

Easy Peezy

April 1st, 2012, 7:39 pm #5

Thanks for the tips guys I think I have figured out a few things I was doing:

Coming out of my spine angle and not keeping the trail arm below the lead arm.

I aimed my lead shoulder where I wanted the ball to go today and shot an easy 79. If I play like this the rest of the year I will be happy. My driving on the first half was straight as you can hit em.