Question for Power Slot

Question for Power Slot

June 18th, 2010, 12:43 pm #1

I think the concept has some merit and I have experimented with
something similar in the past although I started from shaft parallel
to ground.

Question: In trying your method I had the same problem as with my own experiment.
SHANKS. With power slot I battered my patio furniture repeatedly but thankfully
avoided windows.

I like your concept but I need advice for the shanks. I actually did not hit a single
shot that I did not shank. That's consistency.

June 18th, 2010, 1:31 pm #2

I have a lot of experience with the shanks!

The only sure method of getting rid of the tendency that I have found is one that Paul Bertholy recommended.

Take your normal stance with a ball on the ground and swing thru missing the ball completely on the inside a few times. After that go ahead and hit a few shots.

Also it is important to remember that shanks are only a half inch from being a perfect shot and less then a quarter inch from being a decent shot. The biggest problem with shanks is the fear and anguish that can be generated as result of hitting one.

Of course another solution is to get some clubs that are very difficult to shank. It is a mystery to me why so many name brand hybrid clubs have a bit of hosel on them that can hit the ball on an off center hit... I guess that the belief is that the offset is important for some reason. I really can't see it as it just makes the game more frustrating for the average golfer... A lot of shots off to the right for right handers are a result of hitting the hosel and are then responsible for a big pull on the next shot. The poor golfer has no idea what just happened to him... Just makes the game harder.

Regards, Herbert

June 18th, 2010, 1:47 pm #3

to ground.

Question: In trying your method I had the same problem as with my own experiment.
avoided windows.

I like your concept but I need advice for the shanks. I actually did not hit a single
are perhaps holding off rotation in the DS and leading with the hozel. Perhaps you're freezing the wrists in the set-up position and not letting the lead arm rotate and the trail wrist release and hinge in the DS. You wouldn't do that in the baseball swing so not in the golf DS either.

June 18th, 2010, 2:00 pm #4

to ground.

avoided windows.

Knowing that you are a good golfer I expect you are not as consistent a shanker as you were with this swing or with the preset at club horizontal Having a LOT of experience with the club horizontal preset myself it may be that the tension of the starting position is not relieved in the swing so the club face does not rotate to square. Since the IMA release depends more on mechanical connections than relaxation this is less of an issue with IMA though there is some (and that's part of the reason I created the 2.5 drill).

Peter

gsw

June 18th, 2010, 2:31 pm #5

I have a lot of experience with the shanks!

The only sure method of getting rid of the tendency that I have found is one that Paul Bertholy recommended.

Take your normal stance with a ball on the ground and swing thru missing the ball completely on the inside a few times. After that go ahead and hit a few shots.

Also it is important to remember that shanks are only a half inch from being a perfect shot and less then a quarter inch from being a decent shot. The biggest problem with shanks is the fear and anguish that can be generated as result of hitting one.

Of course another solution is to get some clubs that are very difficult to shank. It is a mystery to me why so many name brand hybrid clubs have a bit of hosel on them that can hit the ball on an off center hit... I guess that the belief is that the offset is important for some reason. I really can't see it as it just makes the game more frustrating for the average golfer... A lot of shots off to the right for right handers are a result of hitting the hosel and are then responsible for a big pull on the next shot. The poor golfer has no idea what just happened to him... Just makes the game harder.

Regards, Herbert
I am still playing a set of high lofted fairway woods and a few old Jerry Barber Shankless Irons and wedges. It is impossible to hit a shank with my clubs. I can still hit bad shots but I never hit any shank shots. Callaway makes a hybird that does not have a hosel and cannot be shanked.

Stan

June 18th, 2010, 3:48 pm #6

to ground.

avoided windows.

You have my email, you have my number (both listed on my website www.powerslotswing.com), give me a call and I would love to help out. I just was at the range and taught two beginners and after a couple of shanks, they started to get it great. Swing works. Call or email. AK

June 18th, 2010, 3:51 pm #7

are perhaps holding off rotation in the DS and leading with the hozel. Perhaps you're freezing the wrists in the set-up position and not letting the lead arm rotate and the trail wrist release and hinge in the DS. You wouldn't do that in the baseball swing so not in the golf DS either.
Satco, please call me. Would love to talk to you. AK

June 19th, 2010, 3:11 am #8

A majority of shanked shots are hit with a closed or square clubhead. Shanking is not caused by 'leading with the hosel'.

Regards, Herbert

June 19th, 2010, 3:18 am #9

I am still playing a set of high lofted fairway woods and a few old Jerry Barber Shankless Irons and wedges. It is impossible to hit a shank with my clubs. I can still hit bad shots but I never hit any shank shots. Callaway makes a hybird that does not have a hosel and cannot be shanked.

Stan
I am still playing the F2s. I can shank them but the shank shots don't go at as much of an angle and often are low and straight. LOL I should have taken a picture to send to you of the ball mark on the hosel after a shank at the driving range so that you would believe me!

Regards, Herbert

June 19th, 2010, 6:07 am #10

A majority of shanked shots are hit with a closed or square clubhead. Shanking is not caused by 'leading with the hosel'.

Regards, Herbert
The Bertholy Method has been known to increase the prevalence of shanking for some practitioners. Paul said so himself and I can attest to it from personal experience. I think that the best antidotes are stretched hamstrings and increased range of motion in the hip joints, but of the two, hamstring flexibility is most important.

Tom