Puzzling

Puzzling

October 1st, 2009, 6:07 am #1

Don Trahan says in his teaching that the golf swing is similar to swinging a rock in a circle on a string. He also says that the left arm and shaft form the string. He says that the there is no wrist cocking in his swing and that in golf the fewer angles the better.

Here is look at his demo swing:

I just don't see it. Maybe I am missing something?

I did see a fellow on the range the other day who looked like he was actually and literally doing what Trahan says and it was not pretty...

Regards, Herbert

October 1st, 2009, 8:54 am #2

Just for kicks I tried exactly what he says, it was a disaster also for me, Then I watched some video of him, and it turned out that he cocks his wrists though he says he does not, His swing may look up and down but he re-plains his swing on the down swing, and his master move is pretty good, So what did I get out of all of his instruction, its a conventional swing.

Nothing new under the sun at all, if you have his book Golf plain and simple, you will see its a re-hash, I had ordered the foundation manual looked at it, and it was a complete waste of time, Though it may help those who are just starting out. I got a promt refund when I asked for it.

His sons swing does not resemble his ideas at all. But his marketing is pretty good, His videos could have been done on 1 or 2 dics instead of 4.

Hey if it works for you good luck wiht it.

October 1st, 2009, 1:41 pm #3

Don Trahan says in his teaching that the golf swing is similar to swinging a rock in a circle on a string. He also says that the left arm and shaft form the string. He says that the there is no wrist cocking in his swing and that in golf the fewer angles the better.

I did see a fellow on the range the other day who looked like he was actually and literally doing what Trahan says and it was not pretty...

Regards, Herbert
This is typical of most players/teachers. They describe/teach what they feel, not what is real. Some of the greats have been guilty of this as well including Hogan and Nicklaus. I'm sure that Trahan "feels" like he isn't cocking his wrists, but video tells the real story.

In fact Johnny Miller commented on Steve Stricker's swing a few weeks ago that he didn't use any wrist cock at all. In slow motion, I saw Stricker use a bunch of wrist cock. Now maybe he doesn't cock his wrist quite as much as Daley or Bubba Watson, but there was still plenty there.

I've commented before that angles are indeed bad if you can't maintain them (i.e. most am's) but most beneficial if you can (most pro's.)

October 1st, 2009, 2:41 pm #4

Just for kicks I tried exactly what he says, it was a disaster also for me, Then I watched some video of him, and it turned out that he cocks his wrists though he says he does not, His swing may look up and down but he re-plains his swing on the down swing, and his master move is pretty good, So what did I get out of all of his instruction, its a conventional swing.

Nothing new under the sun at all, if you have his book Golf plain and simple, you will see its a re-hash, I had ordered the foundation manual looked at it, and it was a complete waste of time, Though it may help those who are just starting out. I got a promt refund when I asked for it.

His sons swing does not resemble his ideas at all. But his marketing is pretty good, His videos could have been done on 1 or 2 dics instead of 4.

Hey if it works for you good luck wiht it.
Thanks for you comments Pedro!

I think that you are correct in what you say and I appreciate the confirmation of my own ideas. On the other hand I have no doubt that Don is a very talented teacher who improves a lot of golfers games. I like the swing due to the fact that it is easy on the body so I will give the basic concepts a try and see what happens.

It is bothersome that he talks so much about science and makes such a huge technical error in his teaching.

Regards, Herbert

October 2nd, 2009, 12:37 am #5

Regards, Herbert
From looking at the stills and if these photos represent the top of his backswing I doubt that Trahan can hit a ball very well without some serious rerouting of the club and arms (and probably the torso as well) on the way down, all of which is not unusual for even expert golfers.
Tom

October 2nd, 2009, 4:13 am #6

Here is a look at DJ starting down he is about the same at the top as his dad and his dad is about the same at this point only bigger.

Regards, Herbert

October 2nd, 2009, 5:12 am #7

He looks just fine to my eye.

Tom

October 2nd, 2009, 4:44 pm #8

Here is a look at DJ starting down he is about the same at the top as his dad and his dad is about the same at this point only bigger.

Regards, Herbert
I think that what he is "promoting" is NO ACTIVE wrist cock. In that that wrist cock he gets is just a by-product/result of swinging the arms/shoulders back and forth. This is very similar to what I do.

I don't actively try to get/hold wrist cock....it just happens. And.....yes.....I will readily admit that I probably lose distance by not ACTIVELY go after this wrist cock. But....by not worrying about the wrist cock, and instead just concentrating on "swinging the arms" (ala Steve Stricker), I have become much more accurate with my swing.

October 2nd, 2009, 5:37 pm #9

Either you have wrist cock or you don't, and he says that you should have none. If that were the case then the club would always be parallel to the lead arm, which clearly is not happening. And so now we're left at guessing as to what he actually means which leaves everybody with their own interpretation. I'm glad he's not my stock broker or brain surgeon.

October 2nd, 2009, 6:04 pm #10

Regards, Herbert
'The Simplest Golf Swing On the PGA Tour

Golfers! You saw it first hand throughout the PGA Tour's FedEx Cup playoffs and you flooded us with your emails. "How does the #2 ranked player in the world generate so much power without hinging his wrists and will this work for me" you asked.

Well the answer is yes and you should look no further than the #1 golf commentator in the world Johnny Miller who said: "A lot of golfers over the next 20 years should copy this swing".

It's a misconception to believe that you must hinge your wrists in order to generate power in your golf swing. It's not only unnecessary, manipulating your clubhead through impact at 80-100 mph is extremely difficult to repeat and leaves you with little opportunity to be consistent.

Over the next couple months we will post new High Definition Slow Motion video revealing the mechanics of what is occuring, but more importantly, what the golfer is actually doing to result those mechanics.

Let's begin with an HD Slo-Mo video of Taly executing the "No Hinge" 80 yard wedge shot.'

i didn't watch so i don't know who he's talking about. maybe stricker.