Puzzling

Puzzling

July 5th, 2009, 2:40 am #1

I have been looking at Don Trahan's free 10 videos. Today's lesson was don't cock your lead wrist during the backswing. That way if you set up with the lead wrist flat it will still be flat at the top. Of course I am not sure how this could be possible??? If you look at DJ'swing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK-SqKWh ... re=related
It sure looks like he is cocking his lead wrist on the takeaway and it looks a lot like the wrist is cupped a little bit at the top. How does it look to you?

Regards, Herbert

July 5th, 2009, 3:42 am #2

I agree with you.

-
Cheers,Bob
USDA Plant Hardiness Zone 6a
Lexington,Ky.
It's Summer!
Regards,
Bob

July 5th, 2009, 2:16 pm #3

I have been looking at Don Trahan's free 10 videos. Today's lesson was don't cock your lead wrist during the backswing. That way if you set up with the lead wrist flat it will still be flat at the top. Of course I am not sure how this could be possible??? If you look at DJ'swing:
It sure looks like he is cocking his lead wrist on the takeaway and it looks a lot like the wrist is cupped a little bit at the top. How does it look to you?

Regards, Herbert
His lead wrist appears to me to be neutral at address
and it looks like during the takeaway he is simply
"opening the gate" to get the club over his toe line.
"Hitting the catcher's mitt" as Trahan calls it.
From there to the top his wrist does not appear to cock
further. There are perspective issues here for sure.

A neutral wrist does seem to have a cup but it's just
the fist making function at work. Extend your fingers
with a flat lead wrist and then make a fist.

July 5th, 2009, 4:17 pm #4

Regards, Herbert
His lead wrist definitely 'cocks' (abducts) during the backswing. When the club is vertical in backswign and downswing perspective issues due the the tilted plane are eliminated and the angle between lead arm and club he has at club vertical in the backswing is not likely the angle he had at address - his lead wrist cocked.

A 'neutral' lead wrist is not 'flat' but has a slight 'cup' appearance. If his statement was 'flat' then his swing does not reflect it. In any case his lead wrist appears to have more cup than 'neutral' based on the shadow line at top of swing.

Peter

July 5th, 2009, 4:33 pm #5

His lead wrist appears to me to be neutral at address
and it looks like during the takeaway he is simply
"opening the gate" to get the club over his toe line.
"Hitting the catcher's mitt" as Trahan calls it.
From there to the top his wrist does not appear to cock
further. There are perspective issues here for sure.

A neutral wrist does seem to have a cup but it's just
the fist making function at work. Extend your fingers
with a flat lead wrist and then make a fist.
it just does not hold water.

Take a look at this photo and tell me that it is possible to get into this position without fully cocking the lead wrist:

I have tried this sort of thing many times in front of a mirror the only way to get to this position without cocking the lead wrist is to setup with the hands very low with the lead wrist fully cocked. It is not perspective the lead wrist is cocked.

Also flat is flat and cupped is cupped. DJ's lead wrist is flat at impact not cupped or neutral.

Regards, Herbert

July 6th, 2009, 3:52 pm #6

"Take a look at this photo and tell me that it is possible to get into this position without fully cocking the lead wrist:"

Yes. I just did it. Maybe it's just me but my wrist will only "cock" a couple
of degrees anyway in neutral position with thumb pressed to forefinger. The only
way I can get an appreciable angle between my hand and forearm is by cupping or
bowing. There just isn't much cocking available to me.

Now if I release the thumb from the forefinger the thumb will pull out to nearly
90 degrees but that isn't how I grip the club and that isn't wrist cock.

July 7th, 2009, 12:33 am #7

What is the angle between your lead arm and the clubshaft?

Regards, Herbert