Putting

Putting

October 9th, 2009, 4:28 am #1

Well the simple putting method that I was using quit working. LOL I started to miss the short ones and the reason that I used SS putting in the first place was to make short putts with no strain. Since I never did all that good at long putts with it I decided to make a change! Yippee!

So, thinking back to when I had lessons I remembered that I made a lot of putts with the method that I was taught back then. It is basically a blocking stroke with the hands leading and the lead wrist never breaking down and the trail wrist staying bent. What I had added to it back then was to pull the stroke straight and up after impact. I pulled up because then if I yipped a little I would yip up and the ball would still go straight. Usually when I miss a short putt it is because I open the face a bit at impact probably due to putting with fear in my heart instead of love and whatever else Remington recommends.:-P Anyway it is working great and should be good for a month or two...

Regards, Herbert

October 9th, 2009, 2:53 pm #2

I've found that big muscle strokes (like Pelz' shoulder rocking) with no hand involvement work best. I also found after a LOT of testing on my 9' practice green that even when I intended no hand involvement that I did get some if I had two hands on the putter. I suspect that grip variations like 'the saw' and 'the paintbrush' are because of the same problem. I tried Langer's 'trail hand gripping club & forearm' but found what worked best was 'trail hand gripping forearm' (trail hand not touching putter). The motion is solely from the shoulders.

Based on my experience its well worth investing in a practice surface perfectly leveled and seeing what happens at 8-12' out (with an over ball string line so you can see perfectly straight). At one point Tom Kite used his pool table. I got my practice green (2 piece plastic frame and putting carpet) on sale for $150.

Peter

October 20th, 2009, 5:09 am #3

The shoulder putting stroke is probably best for me also. Unfortunately it hurts my back. That is the best thing about simple putting or an arm swing stroke is I can practice for a longer time. My best putting is with the head still and just rock the shoulders and hold the finish. I find spot putting to be more accurate.

Regards, Herbert

October 20th, 2009, 12:18 pm #4

I had the same problem. I experimented with putter length and posture until I came to a combination that worked for my back. The posture part was key for me; I need to have my back straight vs arched.

Peter

October 20th, 2009, 12:34 pm #5

The shoulder putting stroke is probably best for me also. Unfortunately it hurts my back. That is the best thing about simple putting or an arm swing stroke is I can practice for a longer time. My best putting is with the head still and just rock the shoulders and hold the finish. I find spot putting to be more accurate.

Regards, Herbert
Herbert the earth school is ALWAYS trying to teach you to get into love trust no matter what you do...always trying to teach you to get out of fear/doubt.

The earth school will keep sending you missed putts until you figure it out.

There are three things in fear/doubt, but the most important one, as it relates to putting, is EXPECTATION...get rid of expecting the ball to go into the hole, because that takes you out of the present and into the future.

October 20th, 2009, 12:46 pm #6

Regards, Herbert
How bout a long putter?

gsw

October 20th, 2009, 2:20 pm #7

Well the simple putting method that I was using quit working. LOL I started to miss the short ones and the reason that I used SS putting in the first place was to make short putts with no strain. Since I never did all that good at long putts with it I decided to make a change! Yippee!

So, thinking back to when I had lessons I remembered that I made a lot of putts with the method that I was taught back then. It is basically a blocking stroke with the hands leading and the lead wrist never breaking down and the trail wrist staying bent. What I had added to it back then was to pull the stroke straight and up after impact. I pulled up because then if I yipped a little I would yip up and the ball would still go straight. Usually when I miss a short putt it is because I open the face a bit at impact probably due to putting with fear in my heart instead of love and whatever else Remington recommends.:-P Anyway it is working great and should be good for a month or two...

Regards, Herbert
I recently invested in a Hammy putter and I am putting better than I have ever putted. I have been a Side Saddle putter for years so the Hammy style putting method is actually a step toward conventional putting for me. I can still see the line from behind the ball with the 45 degree open stance that is used with the Hammy, but I can also use a shoulder rock motion for the stroke. So far it is working very well.

Stan

October 20th, 2009, 5:16 pm #8

How bout a long putter?
Best putting of my life was with a long putter 15 or so years ago. It is easy on the back that is for sure! I putted well with that putter because I putted with no fear and rammed a lot of putts in the hole. I had some days where I made pretty much everything inside 10 feet. When it was bad it was really bad though...

It was a really weird home made putter with a super slick plastic face and an incredibly flexible graphite shaft. Most people who tried it laughed and got it out of their hands as quickly as possible. Anyway I can't use a long putter right now because I promised my friend that I would not use one! He is sort of a traditionalist and the long putter really bothers him...

Regards, Herbert

October 20th, 2009, 7:49 pm #9

Herbert the earth school is ALWAYS trying to teach you to get into love trust no matter what you do...always trying to teach you to get out of fear/doubt.

The earth school will keep sending you missed putts until you figure it out.

There are three things in fear/doubt, but the most important one, as it relates to putting, is EXPECTATION...get rid of expecting the ball to go into the hole, because that takes you out of the present and into the future.
Interesting point. Expecting it to go in or expecting it to miss, either one can be a problem. I prefer the first of course! Nicklaus said that he stood over a putt until he was sure it was going to go in the hole. It worked for him... People did think that Jack had an ability to make the ball roll where he wanted it to roll after it left his putter face. They said that he could will it to go in the hole. Maybe Mr. Nicklaus had a bit of Obi Wan in him!

So Remington how does love trust work for you when you hit a 'perfect' putt and the ball rolls badly because of the surface of the green? Does it bother you?

Do you ever think that you pulled or pushed a short putt when in reality the ball broke out of the hole because of slope that you did not see? Pelz says that he sees this a lot where a guy will miss a 3 foot putt and say '*#@@%$# I pulled it' when in truth he did not see the break and did not notice that his putt broke out of the hole. I am getting a lot better at seeing the truth about how the ball rolls. When it veers off line for no damn reason it leads to higher scores. The trick is to accept it and move on. Much better then thinking that it was the read or the stroke.

Best, Herbert

October 20th, 2009, 8:11 pm #10

I have given the example, previously, in which the goal is to master technique. You can go to the green and master the technique of putting a ball straight down a 12 inch chalked line, and, after 15 minutes you will ORCHESTRATE, i.e., display that mastery of technique in hitting the ball straight down the line.

Now, cut a golf cup (hole) at the end of the line. Does the ball falling into the hole mean anything? Of course not. It is just an affirmation that you mastered the technique of putting a ball down a 12 inch chalked line.

If I miss a putt, I just haven't mastered technique. Simple as that, even, if I missed due to irregularities I didn't see in the green.

HOWEVER, YOU BRING UP A COGENT POINT. Joe Norwood didn't miss no stinkin' putts!! Why? Because he learned how to deal with undulations. Walter Hagan knew how to do that, also. So did Travis. Norwood claimed you hit DOWN on the putt (I don't have a clue) to put a lot of top spin on the ball, which will allow the ball to roll straight, even with undulations. at www.scigolf.com they have a putter that puts down spin on the ball, and I got one and it works pretty good, and it works REAL GOOD, if you hit down on the ball. Top spin and lots of it is the secret to taking undulations out of the green. The scigolf putter wasn't the answer for me (great putter though), but I continue to investigage this issue in hopes of figuring it out. I wish somebody in Las Vegas, who knows Norwood's son would figure this out for us. Mac O'Grady understands this also.