Putting practice

Putting practice

April 8th, 2012, 4:49 am #1

I putted really poorly on Friday. I was not able to get lined up correctly and missed a lot on the right. The reason was that I had not practiced with my alignment tool. LOL 25 putts today... Some due to not hitting many greens and chipping well with my 1950's vintage MacGregor 11 iron. But a lot of made putts in the 2 to 7 foot range that might have missed on Friday.

My alignment tool is a clubmakers ruler that I put down on the carpet lined up with center of my putt back. I put a ball down either on the ruler or just in front of it and then line up the putt checking the alignment compared to the end of the ruler. This gets my eyes aligned. Then I hit putts with the putter banging the end of the ruler flat. The ball rolls straight down the ruler and my setup is correct and my stroke is correct. It only takes maybe 5 minutes of this practice to get myself in a state where I can most times line up and start the ball on the line that I choose. Of course choosing the line and speed is another issue entirely...

Regards, Herbert

gsw

April 9th, 2012, 5:03 am #2

And that eliminates the pushes and pulls.

Stan

April 9th, 2012, 10:36 pm #3

I had never realized that my eyes needed to be calibrated in order to have any hope of lining up straight. Are you certain that you never get off in your alignment using side saddle? Of course maybe your natural alignment ability is better to start with...

Regards, Herbert

gsw

April 10th, 2012, 12:12 am #4

I can still miss a putt to the left or the right but when setting up to putt side saddle it is much easier to see and stroke the putt on the right line because you are behind the line and not at a 90 degree angle. In my case I have a blind spot on the inside portion of my right dominate eye so if I align like a normal person would then the moment that the ball leaves my putter head it is lost in my blind spot but by setting up side saddle I can see the ball all the way to the hole. I have posted this web site before, it covers all the advantages of putting side saddle. The web site is a bit confusing and corny but it has a world of knowledge regarding side saddle putting.http://www.puttmagic.com/default.htm

Stan
Last edited by gsw on April 10th, 2012, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 11th, 2012, 8:55 pm #5

I have converted two of my friends to this method and a ton of others have told me how much sense it makes to put this way. A lot of people have tried my putter but are just to afraid as how they look. I used to three putt 2-4 times for 9 holes. It is rare that I three put now maybe once a around if I am putting bad. I have made more putts both short and long using this method. I finally built the best putter for me to putt this way it is 52inch long and my back does not hurt to practice anymore. I will never go back. If Tiger get's his way I already have two ways to get around the rule.

Don't get me wrong it takes some time to get used to speed, but your line will be a lot better. It is proven that your depth perception isa lot better using both eyes like in side saddle putting. I can look at my putter up through the line and back down again it is great way to read the line.

Also short putts 3-4 foot will be a lot easier you just roll the ball a little firmer and go straight at the hole.

If you need any help with making a putter let me know, there area only a couple of OEM putters that would work.

gsw

April 12th, 2012, 2:50 am #6

I simply use a Ping B-90 without any modification. I have two of the B-90 putters one 49 inches and another that is 45 inches. I use the shorter one most of the time. I have tried to putt normal long putter style with the long one and belly style with the shorter one without much success so I have just gone back to side saddle style and I am not planning to ever change back.

Stan

gsw

April 12th, 2012, 3:18 am #7

I have converted two of my friends to this method and a ton of others have told me how much sense it makes to put this way. A lot of people have tried my putter but are just to afraid as how they look. I used to three putt 2-4 times for 9 holes. It is rare that I three put now maybe once a around if I am putting bad. I have made more putts both short and long using this method. I finally built the best putter for me to putt this way it is 52inch long and my back does not hurt to practice anymore. I will never go back. If Tiger get's his way I already have two ways to get around the rule.

Don't get me wrong it takes some time to get used to speed, but your line will be a lot better. It is proven that your depth perception isa lot better using both eyes like in side saddle putting. I can look at my putter up through the line and back down again it is great way to read the line.

Also short putts 3-4 foot will be a lot easier you just roll the ball a little firmer and go straight at the hole.

If you need any help with making a putter let me know, there area only a couple of OEM putters that would work.
From what I have seen lately from Tiger on the greens he should not be lobbying for the long or belly putter to be banded because he may need to try it one day.

Just saying.

Stan

April 12th, 2012, 3:40 pm #8

I simply use a Ping B-90 without any modification. I have two of the B-90 putters one 49 inches and another that is 45 inches. I use the shorter one most of the time. I have tried to putt normal long putter style with the long one and belly style with the shorter one without much success so I have just gone back to side saddle style and I am not planning to ever change back.

Stan
I agree Stan that there are a few OEM putters out there but not many. In my experience I find that center shafted putters work the best of OEM putters and that heel shafted putters are not good at all. I use a left handed putter that I cross shafted with a right handed shaft, this works the best becuase it does nto hit my leg on longer putts and sits flat onthe ground.

Becuase of the pendelum motion tha the side saddle swing makes your realyl need a balanced putter. the new Ping Pick Me Up putter is a nice one as well.

April 12th, 2012, 10:59 pm #9

From what I have seen lately from Tiger on the greens he should not be lobbying for the long or belly putter to be banded because he may need to try it one day.

Just saying.

Stan
I thought the same thing! I would love ot see Tiger try side saddle and see how much he likes it

April 13th, 2012, 1:41 pm #10

I had never realized that my eyes needed to be calibrated in order to have any hope of lining up straight. Are you certain that you never get off in your alignment using side saddle? Of course maybe your natural alignment ability is better to start with...

Regards, Herbert
Have you tried using an alignment line to line up the ball? I did that for the past couple of years, and it works great. At first, when I got over the putt I could not accept that it was lined up. So (like most) my brain was mis-calibrated. After a while I began to see the putt as lined up. Now I often just skip it (aligning the ball) and I can still see the correct line. However if it is a serious putt, I'll still line up the ball.

For those who think it slows down play:
At first it seemed to take too long. After a while it got easy. Spend a couple of seconds lining up the ball, and fewer seconds fidgeting over the ball trying to get lined up. Plus if you make more putts, that speeds up play!