Progress Report on The Peak Performance Golf Swing

Progress Report on The Peak Performance Golf Swing

gsw

October 17th, 2010, 6:36 pm #1

I switched to the Peak Performance Golf Swing (PPGS) on 10/06/10 after watching DJ Trahan use it at the Viking Classic Golf Tournament and also due to the relentless urging from Don Trahan that his swing was the easiest golf swing for a persons body and in particular the back. After a week and a half of learning and using the PPGS I can now report that Don Trahan was right. My back feels better using the PPGS then it did while using my homemade golf swing. I can also hit the ball farther and straighter when I do Dons swing right. My biggest problem with Dons swing is that I keep setting the club at the top too inside and this causes me to hit some very bad push shots. Don wants the club to set along the toe line and to never get behind the toe line. I also have had a hard time learning to fly the right (trail) elbow as for years with my swing I kept the right elbow very close to my side and bent the left elbow to get the club up in the back swing. When I do Dons swing right it works very well. For now I am going to keep trying to use it as it does help me play better and without as much back pain.

Link to PPGS http://www.peakperformancegolfswing.com ... 2godJSlddg

Stan

October 18th, 2010, 12:07 am #2

That's great news, Stan. Being able to play without hurting yourself trumps all other swing considerations.

October 18th, 2010, 12:38 am #3

I switched to the Peak Performance Golf Swing (PPGS) on 10/06/10 after watching DJ Trahan use it at the Viking Classic Golf Tournament and also due to the relentless urging from Don Trahan that his swing was the easiest golf swing for a persons body and in particular the back. After a week and a half of learning and using the PPGS I can now report that Don Trahan was right. My back feels better using the PPGS then it did while using my homemade golf swing. I can also hit the ball farther and straighter when I do Dons swing right. My biggest problem with Dons swing is that I keep setting the club at the top too inside and this causes me to hit some very bad push shots. Don wants the club to set along the toe line and to never get behind the toe line. I also have had a hard time learning to fly the right (trail) elbow as for years with my swing I kept the right elbow very close to my side and bent the left elbow to get the club up in the back swing. When I do Dons swing right it works very well. For now I am going to keep trying to use it as it does help me play better and without as much back pain.

Stan
I like Trahan's swing except possibly for the longer clubs. I don't see the toe line business working with a driver. I think that is why Trahan recommends shorter drivers. If you use an SA setup this is even more difficult as having the arms hanging down with and angle or preset wrist cock makes it easier to swing up high like that. As others have commented it makes sense to do all of it to get it right which means no more single axis.

Trahan's science claims also bother me a bit. His science rational for a shorter turn producing more distance then a full turn is rather flawed. Also a while back he had a physics expert on his web site who had a fake online degree. Not a real confidence booster.

Anyway Stan, I thought that your doctor told you that you had to use a swing with zero turn? It sounds like the limited turn is okay?

Regards, Herbert

October 18th, 2010, 1:14 am #4

Stan
Hey San.

What do you mean by "to fly the right (trail) elbow "

gsw

October 18th, 2010, 1:38 am #5

I like Trahan's swing except possibly for the longer clubs. I don't see the toe line business working with a driver. I think that is why Trahan recommends shorter drivers. If you use an SA setup this is even more difficult as having the arms hanging down with and angle or preset wrist cock makes it easier to swing up high like that. As others have commented it makes sense to do all of it to get it right which means no more single axis.

Trahan's science claims also bother me a bit. His science rational for a shorter turn producing more distance then a full turn is rather flawed. Also a while back he had a physics expert on his web site who had a fake online degree. Not a real confidence booster.

Anyway Stan, I thought that your doctor told you that you had to use a swing with zero turn? It sounds like the limited turn is okay?

Regards, Herbert
In fact I turn more with my home made swing than I do with the Trahan swing. The Trahand swing is just an all arm swing with the left shoulder turning just enough to get the butt of the club on the toe line and that does not hurt my back. On the follow through I cheat a bit and saw off the finish so that is not an issue.

Stan

gsw

October 18th, 2010, 2:53 pm #6

Hey San.

What do you mean by "to fly the right (trail) elbow "
The right elbow goes out away from the body and forms a 90 degree angle instead of floding in close to the body.

Stan

October 18th, 2010, 9:11 pm #7

Stan
Don't know much about PPGS, but I know it involves less turn and shorter backswing.

From "The short golf backswing: Effects on performance and spinal health implications" http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11753330 :

"CONCLUSION: These data support the idea that short backswings in golf may reduce trunk muscle activation and possibly reduce back injury and pain without negatively impacting swing accuracy or CHV ( clubhead velocity ). However, the short swing increases shoulder muscle activation and may, in turn, promote risk for shoulder injury."

It's always something eh? Good to know it is working out for you so far Stan.

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

October 18th, 2010, 11:11 pm #8

The right elbow goes out away from the body and forms a 90 degree angle instead of floding in close to the body.

Stan
For give me for being obtuse, but on the back swing, is the trail elbow pointing to the ground or is it pointing out like a chicken wing?

October 19th, 2010, 12:16 pm #9

The elbow, being basically a point, can't really point.
The upper arm can point. The forearm can point. A line
bisecting the angle between the upper arm and forearm can point.

gsw

October 19th, 2010, 6:11 pm #10

For give me for being obtuse, but on the back swing, is the trail elbow pointing to the ground or is it pointing out like a chicken wing?
here is a link to Trahan's web page and on this web page is a short video. If you watch closely you can see the trail elbow position. The trail elbow should be in a right angle at the top of the back swing which is a flying right elbow. http://www.peakperformancegolfswing.com ... ng-videos/

Stan