Pitching

12:41 AM - Aug 26, 2014 #1

I have been having some trouble with fat and also skulled pitch shots. Just enough to make me nervous. Anyway I was practicing before a tournament the other day and tried sweeping the club a lot flatter through the ball letting the bounce of the clubhead (60 degree wedge) have the effect of sliding the clubhead through the ball. I found that I could hit a bit fat on hardpan or even thick grass and still get a good high shot. I suppose that this is a type of flop shot. Anyway it seemed to work really well so I tried it during the tournament with good results. One shot in particular off of hardpan was quite pleasing during a chokeable moment. Most likely I had gotten too steep on angle of attack with my normal pitch swing so this is good medicine. LOL, what do you think?

Herbert

gsw

3:42 AM - Aug 26, 2014 #2

I watched an episode on Golf Channel by Paul Azinger and he taught to always hit the ball a bit fat and slide the club under the ball. He said that you can get away with murder if you learn to slide the club under the ball.

I think that you have found the secret that Paul was trying to convey.

Stan

4:20 AM - Aug 26, 2014 #3

I have been having some trouble with fat and also skulled pitch shots. Just enough to make me nervous. Anyway I was practicing before a tournament the other day and tried sweeping the club a lot flatter through the ball letting the bounce of the clubhead (60 degree wedge) have the effect of sliding the clubhead through the ball. I found that I could hit a bit fat on hardpan or even thick grass and still get a good high shot. I suppose that this is a type of flop shot. Anyway it seemed to work really well so I tried it during the tournament with good results. One shot in particular off of hardpan was quite pleasing during a chokeable moment. Most likely I had gotten too steep on angle of attack with my normal pitch swing so this is good medicine. LOL, what do you think?

Herbert
That was the concept behind the Maltby (Golfworks) Sand putter and, to a lesser extent, two other 'game improvement' club heads they used to make. A wide sole that nearly eliminated any digging on fat shots. The club head would just slide into the ball. This worked from fairway as well as bunker.

Too bad that it seems none of these 'xtreme' clubs from Golfworks are made anymore. I guess they just looked too different. Fortunately I have the set I made for my wife.

Peter

5:05 AM - Aug 26, 2014 #4

Yes, and it is why some guys chip with fairway woods and hybrids. Also, Edel wedges are fit with a lot more bounce for just about everyone to stop the clubhead from digging. I am not sure if it will work in the kikuyu grass at my home course though. I will find out!

Herbert

5:06 AM - Aug 26, 2014 #5

I watched an episode on Golf Channel by Paul Azinger and he taught to always hit the ball a bit fat and slide the club under the ball. He said that you can get away with murder if you learn to slide the club under the ball.

I think that you have found the secret that Paul was trying to convey.

Stan
Thanks for the info Stan! How are you holding up? I think that you said you were putting the last post I read of yours?

Regards, Herbert

3:46 PM - Aug 26, 2014 #6

Herbert
What you are describing seems to be the new way to pitch. No lag, and use the bounce. There are a lot of instructors advocating it. Browse around youtube if you want to sample them.
Last edited by Snowman9000 on 3:55 PM - Aug 26, 2014, edited 1 time in total.

9:45 PM - Aug 26, 2014 #7

Herbert
Herbert,

I think that more shaft lean targetward by impact may make contact more consistently good. We're only talking a few degrees to account for 1) greater clubhead loft and 2) more bounce than in irons that you don't pitch with.

Then again, who knows?

Scott

gsw

9:59 PM - Aug 26, 2014 #8

Thanks for the info Stan! How are you holding up? I think that you said you were putting the last post I read of yours?

Regards, Herbert
Hi Herbert
Thanks for asking, I am doing quite well. I have started to chip from just off the green now but I am not quite up to hitting the longer pitch shots yet. My Doctors did not clear me to start hitting the chip shots but I figure that a very short chip with a putting stroke is not any worst that a putt. It will be at the very least late October before I am released to make full swings however it will more likely December before I am released.

Stan

10:17 PM - Aug 26, 2014 #9

Herbert,

I think that more shaft lean targetward by impact may make contact more consistently good. We're only talking a few degrees to account for 1) greater clubhead loft and 2) more bounce than in irons that you don't pitch with.

Then again, who knows?

Scott
That is the tricky part. More shaft lean means more tendency for the clubhead to dig which will result in laying the sod over the ball on a fat shot. With less lean the bounce may allow the clubhead to slide into the ball. Of course if the bounce is too much then the skull shot comes into play. Better to just contact the ball perfectly every time I guess. It is funny in that I can take most any poor golf shot without too much stress, lol I have hit them all but a skulled pitch shot truly infuriates me. LOL

Regards, Herbert

2:38 AM - Aug 27, 2014 #10

I think the strike can be quite "level" with "more" shaft lean. There are a number of factors involved. One thing's for sure - if you try to miss the ball by swinging over it, you can even do so with say 15 deg. of lean.