Orange Whip Trainer vs. SA and MGS

Orange Whip Trainer vs. SA and MGS

November 28th, 2011, 11:03 pm #1

Am returning to golf ( in warm Las Vegas!) after some surgery. Will hopefully build my SA swing [a hybrid combination of SimpleSwing, BGG & IMA], but changing over to MGS. Ques. is: how effective is the Orange Whip Trainer for warming up and starting out? Mucho thanX for answers from the gurus!

November 30th, 2011, 12:30 am #2

but a question first. What is the weight of the orange whip? Some research suggests that over speed ( lighter than club ) and overload ( heavier than club )components for REGULAR swings, should be no more than +/- 12% of your driver weight. This is because the weight must be similar to that of the club so that the swing will "transfer" ( law of specificity )

Studies also found that when players warmed up with a heavier implement than that which they would actually use - like the weighted "donut" baseball players use - bat speed went down! Also, though club head speed didn't drop as much for golfers, distance dropped due to off center hits. The best way to warm up is to swing your over speed club, or ideally hitting shots.

I always play better when I warm up properly - i.e. give myself enough time to get the old body warm and the juices flowing. ideally i like to hit balls, but I do just as well not hitting them and just warming up swinging my over speed trainer.

Read this thread about speed training

http://www.network54.com/Forum/72052/th ... Head+Speed

and if you want to cut through all the back and forth, you can just read Barrda's excellent post here about a program and tool he suggests for increasing speed :

http://www.network54.com/Forum/72052/me ... 08/Re-+Ifs

His program as outlined in that thread works, I tested it, and use a version of it to this day.

The best speed training though, is the use of a speed chain if you can afford one.

Now how does this relate to MGS? Kiran has said that a "big swing" will get you more distance than MGS. I have found this to be true - about 4-6 mph more club head speed. But she also said that IF you stay in your MGS posture, you can go after it as hard as you want AFTER you hands/arms make a gravity drop til they are about hip high, then fire away. The idea is that most of the acceleration in the downswing doesn't occur until this point. We've all seen shots of Tiger stopping in the middle of his downswing when his hands are about waist high.

this is interesting because the speed chain is only swung 9'o'clock to 3 o'clock...it can't be swung any higher...so the chain is working the time frame in the downswing that matters the most...what the golf researchers and bio mechanics folks refer to as the "acceleration" phase of the swing. So with MGS, practice with an over speed club or speed chain using your regular MGS down swing and you will increase your distance. Just don't come out of your MGS posture as you speed train!

kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

November 30th, 2011, 7:33 pm #3

Mucho ThanX, Kevin for your conscientious answer!

The weight of the Orange Whip is 800 gms, vs. my Driver Wt. of approx 305 gms - a big difference. Various websights (GolfWRX, etc) gave very favorable comments to it......however the training emphasis was seemingly on Swing Plane, and Sequence of the swing, with speed & strength as secondary considerations. We shall see - cause Ive already ordered one from G/Smith using their CyberMonday 20% discount. Aarrggh - what's another 'Training Aid' stacked in the corner!

Im serious in my endeavor to improve my golf via MGS, and have read, copied and outlined everything you, KK and others have posted on the SA Forum, YouTube videos, etc. Ive great respect for your many postings over the years Kevin, and want to discuss working with you. Will PM you soon at your Email address. Regards, Hackin Bill

December 1st, 2011, 2:33 am #4

read their stuff. Here's the thing. That looks like an excellent training aid for strength, balance and core workout. (BTW that one article I reference in that thread shows that core strength doesn't equate to increased distance.)

Those are all good for golf.....

But if you are going to use it with MGS, and use it as they suggest, I would be careful. I think it would be easy to allow the weight of the whip to pull you out of MGS posture, and make you want to "do more to swing it". Also when swinging back and forth like that your weight can get pulled outside your trail foot, and not a lot of "slantidicular" here either:

Also if you have an expectation that you will increase distance, you may get a bump initially as your fitness and flexibility improve. But then you may even see a decrease, as you will not be able to swing fast, and so you will be training to swing slow. If you want to swing fast, you must train fast.

Good news is they have a money back guarantee, and please lets us all know how it goes. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!