One Swing - Two Ways

One Swing - Two Ways

September 10th, 2011, 3:45 am #1

In these two swings, I attempted to execute the "ahem"..horrible swing instruction advocated by Kiran Kanwar called the Minimalist Swing. She has seen some of my videos and suggests that I am still not "pure minimalist" in that I still have some turn, but she says I am very close, the only thing next time I should try would be to just get into the minimalist set up, and then just lift the lead arm STEEPLY across my chest.

Also, these swings were made very quickly without a ball. The HD intro and wrap up is still loading, but I captured some stills for now and will post up the links soon.

What I did was just try to swing as instructed by Kiran in the first(left) swing, and the same for the second swing. But in the second swing, I set my lead wrist flat to maximum radial deviation like I teach in my book and normally swing.

The most obvious thing was the difference in speed 114 mph for no set, and 122 mph for set. (BTW this 122 is a few mph faster than my normal playing swing before I adopted her set-up and approach.)

A very nice side benefit is how I maintain my tush line so easily with this swing, this is something that I have struggled to do for almost a year since peter pointed it out about this time last year.

Also in the set swing, the cup in my lead wrist is gone, also a very nice surprise. at any rate here's the stills. No set on the left, set on the right. Notice that I still hit the Absolutes with either approach.

Address:

TOS:

Impact Zone:

The swing videos are up now, The intro and wrap up are still loading:

No set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44_iUz_jaHE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4GcKzzdpl0

With Set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO1lq3I3QfE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8R28R0dggo

Kevin
A Blueprint For Golf Excellence

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

September 10th, 2011, 10:36 am #2

The last one is a swing from last year at 120mph.
I think that if you can get to the position demonstrated by Kiran you will get your clubhead speed down to where I can out drive you!

Regards, Herbert

September 10th, 2011, 11:59 am #3

"I report, you decide" - I found this approach out of my need to try and find some way to swing without pain and/or re-injuring my back. It has served me well in that regard. I also am making better contact and have improved accuracy. The swing on the far right is wild, loose,my lead arm is bent way more, and I am over swinging. Either of these new adaptations are a big improvement, perhaps not for their aesthetics, but definitely for their efficacy - which is really all I am after.
The fact that it is easier on the body/back is a big plus as well.
It is a viable way to set up and hit the ball,while still
achieving the absolutes.

No comments on my tush line?

One things for sure...people can't accuse me anymore of being one dimensional or closed minded concerning how to make a golf swing!

Kevin

September 10th, 2011, 12:07 pm #4

In these two swings, I attempted to execute the "ahem"..horrible swing instruction advocated by Kiran Kanwar called the Minimalist Swing. She has seen some of my videos and suggests that I am still not "pure minimalist" in that I still have some turn, but she says I am very close, the only thing next time I should try would be to just get into the minimalist set up, and then just lift the lead arm STEEPLY across my chest.

Also, these swings were made very quickly without a ball. The HD intro and wrap up is still loading, but I captured some stills for now and will post up the links soon.

What I did was just try to swing as instructed by Kiran in the first(left) swing, and the same for the second swing. But in the second swing, I set my lead wrist flat to maximum radial deviation like I teach in my book and normally swing.

The most obvious thing was the difference in speed 114 mph for no set, and 122 mph for set. (BTW this 122 is a few mph faster than my normal playing swing before I adopted her set-up and approach.)

A very nice side benefit is how I maintain my tush line so easily with this swing, this is something that I have struggled to do for almost a year since peter pointed it out about this time last year.

Also in the set swing, the cup in my lead wrist is gone, also a very nice surprise. at any rate here's the stills. No set on the left, set on the right. Notice that I still hit the Absolutes with either approach.

Address:

TOS:

Impact Zone:

The swing videos are up now, The intro and wrap up are still loading:

No set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44_iUz_jaHE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4GcKzzdpl0

With Set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO1lq3I3QfE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8R28R0dggo

Kevin
A Blueprint For Golf Excellence

You are attracted to Kiran's way because the left shoulder
high backswing is a natural tendency for you. If it works
you should go with it. As for swing speed I don't think there is
any particular magic bullet. I have been studying Lee Comeaux
and his right side dominant style and he hits it over 300
yards with his trail side; one reason is that he hits several
huge buckets of balls every day. Lietzke could bang it 3oo yards
with a left side dominant over the top loop with no practice. A lot
of things can work in golf.

September 10th, 2011, 3:11 pm #5

Close but no cigar. I have already said why I was initially attracted and why I still am.

Dont all good golf swings have their lead shoulder high and their trail shoulder low at impact?

And we all know to well that regular joes like us, who came to the game late and haven't spent hours a day since our youth working on our swing for the last 20 yrs- we all know that one of the biggest challenges is to properly sequence the swing.

So her approach to minimize moving parts and those parts with extra/wasted motion, in divergent, multiple conflicting planes- i.e making it simpler...that also appeals to me.

Pretty is as pretty does...

And btw...there some bullets to increase club head speed....they aren't magic, but are mostly overlooked. Well within the reach of us mere mortals.

Kevin

September 10th, 2011, 7:41 pm #6

Very interesting !

Are you setting up with a closed shoulder stance ? I was thinking that is what she says to do. Maybe it is just how it looks , but it doesn't look like you are set up that way.

September 10th, 2011, 9:56 pm #7

I bend to the ball, then turn my torso closed to the target line, about 30 degrees, easier to see on the 8i (two swings) video. For takeaway I keep the tilt and take my hands back until they are over my trail heel, then I simply raise my lead arm up across my chest until my hands are shoulder(short clubs) to head high (longest clubs).

With the no wrist set version, I make sure the weight of the club has my lead wrist in full ulnar deviation, and I attempt to keep it that way through out the swing. With the set version I keep it in full ulnar deviation until I reach the TOS, and then set it flat to full radial deviation. I make no attempt to keep it set in a real swing though, and next video I suspect will show that it sets after I have made my Vital move with the lower body.

Kevin

September 10th, 2011, 11:36 pm #8

I went to the range again today. (was out of town sice Wed. and could not hit any balls )

Not having much Luck so far !

September 11th, 2011, 6:33 pm #9

"I report, you decide" - I found this approach out of my need to try and find some way to swing without pain and/or re-injuring my back. It has served me well in that regard. I also am making better contact and have improved accuracy. The swing on the far right is wild, loose,my lead arm is bent way more, and I am over swinging. Either of these new adaptations are a big improvement, perhaps not for their aesthetics, but definitely for their efficacy - which is really all I am after.
The fact that it is easier on the body/back is a big plus as well.
It is a viable way to set up and hit the ball,while still
achieving the absolutes.

No comments on my tush line?

One things for sure...people can't accuse me anymore of being one dimensional or closed minded concerning how to make a golf swing!

Kevin

These are my thoughts on the subject, if I am proven wrong on any of this over time I am fine with it!

Your top speed with a driver is over 120 mph which means that a swing that produces around 110mph driver speed is probably the right swing for you to play golf with. In other words you could have gone to variety of methods to accomplish the same thing that this method is accomplishing.

I am not sold on Kiran's teaching especially what I looked at on the internet. I think that your promoting it is not the best thing. Your swing is already built as you like to say. You have the basics in place so you can do odd things and make theme work. Most folks cannot. I do think that setting up with your shoulders so closed to the target line is going to cause you some problems but we shall see about that one! I would say that what you are doing is window dressing as opposed to anything with real substance...

As for your spine angle it does look pretty good to me. I think that you might want a little more bend from the hips at address though? Also are your shoulders less open at impact? Is that what is contributing to the spine angle improvement? Of course the improvement may have happened now anyway after all of the work that you have done on it...

Regards, Herbert

September 11th, 2011, 7:36 pm #10

With most of what you say....in fact she says the same thing....any good player can deliver the club to the ball in a variety of ways. And if you look at my swings, as you pointed out...impact is about same...except for tush line of course!

Regarding the Absolutes, I still make a good Vital / Master move, head still behind, trail arm/wrist bend. But I'm telling you what, using her suggestions (still no book) I'm really making nice contact and believe it or not, have actually added back some clubhead speed(117 mph today). Shot dispersion is much tighter too.

I feel more fluid, compact, and in synch too. My takeaway is much more inside than previously, the clubhead stays very low to the ground, and I take very wispy divots now.

I have adjusted some since the 8i swings and If weather cooperates make some video showing some of these things I have been discussing.

Regarding the bend from the hips....it is what it is. I place my lead arm on top of my per, let the weight of the club take my lead wrist to full ulnar deviation, and then just bend over over until the club just touches the ground.

I do think there are some things that could benefit a wide variety of golfers, and over time these will become apparent.

Thanks for you comments Herbert.

Kevin