No matter how much I study and practice I always go back to this swing

No matter how much I study and practice I always go back to this swing

gsw

July 8th, 2011, 5:07 am #1

The fundamentals of my Golf Swing 09/07/08

Grip = Split hands with left hand holding on at top of grip. Left hand can be strong or neutral. Right hand grip is classic Natural Golf grip with handle in palm of hand. Right hand is fairly strong and the entire swing is controlled by the right hand with the left hand only holding on to the club.

Stance = Stand with the left foot square to the target line and the right foot pulled back from the left foot line by about a foot. The weight is mostly on the left leg and the left knee is bent. The stance is relatively wide with the feet wider than the shoulders.

Ball Position = The ball is placed somewhat forward of center for the short clubs and is moved farther forward as the clubs get longer. The ball is about 30 inches away from the left foot line for fairway woods and the driver and just a bit closer for the short irons and the wedges. If you are pushing shots then the ball is too far back in the stance and if you are pulling or pull hooking then the ball is too far forward in the stance. For chips and pitches the ball can be played back as far as needed to control trajectory.

Back Swing = Take the club straight back with the right hand and pause at the top the left arm bends and the shoulders do not turn. The feeling is as if you are going to throw the club straight back down and away from the target line.

Down Swing = Simply make sure to swing the right hand toward the target making sure that the right hand passes the left knee without any body movement. The feeling should be just like hitting a tennis fore hand shot only you are hitting a golf ball that is on the ground.

Finish = The finish can be anything from no follow through to a classic looking finish. The swing is over once the right hand passes the left knee. I prefer to use the no follow through finish, as I am not looking to score any style points.

Swing feel = The swing feels as if it is all right handed the club head feels like it goes straight back and straight through. The butt end of the club seems to stay in front of the club head. Basically the swing is a punch shot with a split handed grip. The split handed grip is necessary because I simply cannot control the club with both hands so I allow my dominant hand to control the swing. If I unify my hands as most golfers do then the left hand will interfere and cause me to hit bad shots so I use the split handed grip to allow my right hand to control the swing.

Last edited by gsw on July 8th, 2011, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 8th, 2011, 11:52 am #2

It sounds as if you use an over the top swing but in an alignment that makes it straight. I always figured that should be possible. Remember the guy here a year or so ago who had made his own instructional DVD about using an over the top swing? I wonder how his solution compares to yours.

July 8th, 2011, 6:20 pm #3

I am not sure why you believe that Stan's swing is 'over the top'? I did not see anything is what he wrote that would indicate that he is over the top?

'Over the top' means that the swing is over the plane resulting in an outside in hit which can cause a slice or pull hook. Stan is a pretty good player and I doubt that he swings over the top...

Hmmm,'an alignment that makes it straight'. If it is in an alignment that hits it straight then it is not over the top. Unless you have a different definition of 'over the top'? Probably the case?

Regards, Herbert

July 8th, 2011, 7:08 pm #4

I took the description "take the club staight back", in combination with his 12" closed stance, to get an image of a swing that would be over the top without that closed stance. I mean, if you have a 12" closed stance and hit a straight ball, how do you do that without being above the traditional plane?

Anyway, that's how I took it. No offense intended at all. Given Stan's back issues, he has to be doing something unorthox to play without hurting. But maybe I misunderstood something in there.

July 8th, 2011, 10:06 pm #5

I understand your point.

Hogan had a closed stance with his driver so his driver swing was over the top without the closed stance... People say that Snead had a small over the top move and also I have heard the same of Moe and Chazman also for that matter. I remember a Golf Digest article from years ago that said all the tour pros that they measured other the Mark O'Meara were over the top in regard to the backswing plane being flatter then downswing plane.

In the end it does not seem to be anything to worry about. I tried to flatten my downswing plane for a number of years and I did not get anything much out of that effort...

Could be a good topic for discussion...

Regards, Herbert

gsw

July 9th, 2011, 10:42 pm #6

It sounds as if you use an over the top swing but in an alignment that makes it straight. I always figured that should be possible. Remember the guy here a year or so ago who had made his own instructional DVD about using an over the top swing? I wonder how his solution compares to yours.
Hi Snowman

I don't think I swing over the top but my swing is very unique and I would not recommend it to anyone who has anything close to a normal body. When I miss a shot I will either push it to the right of the target or hit a hook. The hooks will mostly start out to the right of the target and then hook back so I must be swinging at the ball from the inside of the target line. Anyway, the swing is what it is and that is not as good as I would like it to be, but I am used to that by now. No problem with any critique of my swing post on this forum, after all that is why we post here, to get input and thoughts from other SA golfers.

Stan