Need exercises to loosen rib muscles

Need exercises to loosen rib muscles

October 11th, 2010, 3:26 am #1

While having some success with tucking the trail elbow in tight to my side it seems to have caused some rib strain or a slightly pulled muscle. Yah, I'm out of shape, but if I can loosen this up, my score card numbers get a lot lower.

Been retaining much better using the drill Padraig is known to use. He places a head cover under the trail arm and forcibly holds it there till after impact. May be pushing the elbow in a little too hard but I get a nicer flight coming from the inside and my hooking/pulling problems are gone. Just need to loosen up the upper body/rib muscles on my trail side. Thanks for any exercise suggestions.

BTW haven't read Bertholy but a side benefit of this drill is that it seems to help retain the angle, ... and, added some yards. Is this anywhere close to the swing feel you Bertholyites get?

October 11th, 2010, 11:58 am #2

Good to see ya!

Try the Total Motion Release site. They have a series of exercises you can do, and a very unique approach for many of the aches pains and such that hit us old guys. It has been wonderful for me. They have an two free ebooks, one explaining the exercises and the other the science behind what they talk about.

Regarding the trail elbow, when you do the Blueprint / Bertholy exercises, you try to keep the trail elbow bent as much as yopu can as it pulls against the fixed lead arm. For the right action Bertholy uses the phrase "seek the navel". Here's some pics from my book practicing this move with static holds. Each still represents a hold of 10 seconds:

All the best,

Kevin

"A Blueprint For Golf Excellence"

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

October 11th, 2010, 4:40 pm #3

While having some success with tucking the trail elbow in tight to my side it seems to have caused some rib strain or a slightly pulled muscle. Yah, I'm out of shape, but if I can loosen this up, my score card numbers get a lot lower.

Been retaining much better using the drill Padraig is known to use. He places a head cover under the trail arm and forcibly holds it there till after impact. May be pushing the elbow in a little too hard but I get a nicer flight coming from the inside and my hooking/pulling problems are gone. Just need to loosen up the upper body/rib muscles on my trail side. Thanks for any exercise suggestions.

BTW haven't read Bertholy but a side benefit of this drill is that it seems to help retain the angle, ... and, added some yards. Is this anywhere close to the swing feel you Bertholyites get?
Doing the Bertholy drills as Kevin posted holding with stress in the exaggerated position will, over time, develop the needed flexibility and allow your body to get closer to the desired without hurting yourself.

Bertholy does not say your trail arm should stay low enough to keep a head cover in place under your arm but I've found it's VERY difficult (read that as I've never been successful doing it) to get my trail elbow back to the right place if my trail arm gets high enough to let the head cover go; so though I don't use that drill (I may start it) that is likely the feeling I have.

Peter

October 12th, 2010, 5:05 pm #4

Good to see ya!

Try the Total Motion Release site. They have a series of exercises you can do, and a very unique approach for many of the aches pains and such that hit us old guys. It has been wonderful for me. They have an two free ebooks, one explaining the exercises and the other the science behind what they talk about.

Regarding the trail elbow, when you do the Blueprint / Bertholy exercises, you try to keep the trail elbow bent as much as yopu can as it pulls against the fixed lead arm. For the right action Bertholy uses the phrase "seek the navel". Here's some pics from my book practicing this move with static holds. Each still represents a hold of 10 seconds:

All the best,

Kevin

"A Blueprint For Golf Excellence"

I pop in once in a while but a family loss a few years back forced a move and this caused me to fully retire and lose interest in clubmaking. Not to mention that many component suppliers started building clubs along with some of the swing gurus who found club sales would supplement their instruction portfolio.

I'll find a heavy pipe and work on the muscles related to the actual move. The link you provide is no doubt a more comprehensive program but I'm too lazy for that intensity

Thanks again, g'luck with your 'Blueprint', you have a passion I now only dream of,.... golf is pure social recreation now but always experimenting on the course. Never take it to the range where a serious contender should be.
Last edited by D.G. on October 12th, 2010, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 12th, 2010, 5:19 pm #5

Doing the Bertholy drills as Kevin posted holding with stress in the exaggerated position will, over time, develop the needed flexibility and allow your body to get closer to the desired without hurting yourself.

Bertholy does not say your trail arm should stay low enough to keep a head cover in place under your arm but I've found it's VERY difficult (read that as I've never been successful doing it) to get my trail elbow back to the right place if my trail arm gets high enough to let the head cover go; so though I don't use that drill (I may start it) that is likely the feeling I have.

Peter
Hi Peter, I'm going to go with positions Mac and you advocate. Of the opinion that practicing the actual move in lieu of exercising will be more beneficial.

If you try the head cover under the arm pit drill, let me know how it works out for you. Seems to help me come from the inside more consistently.

October 12th, 2010, 6:48 pm #6

Hi Trencher,

Glad to hear that you are doing well though I am sorry to hear of your loss...

LOL my 2 cents on the head cover under the armpit is don't do it! I agree with Jimmy Ballard on this one and I believe that keeping the trail arm glued to the side on the backswing is a very bad idea... I think that you just tie yourself up that way and reduce your chances of hitting it far and straight. But what the heck just my most humble opinion!

One other word of caution (also imho ) is that using a heavy swing pipe can cause you to shank because you use the wrong muscles to hold the swing pipe up in the air while doing slow motion swings. I would advise a very light swing pipe like a broom handle or such.

Regards, Herbert

October 12th, 2010, 10:37 pm #7

On using a heavy pipe causing shanks is exactly that and nothing more. There is no evidence whatsoever that what you say is true.

Literally thousands of people have done Bertholy drills with heavy pipes, even more have swung heavy weighted clubs at the suggestion of such well known pros as Harvey Penick and Hank Haney to name just two. Vijya Singh worked with a sledge hammer and other heavy clubs for years...

What we do know now about swinging just a heavy club is that it is great for developing strength and flexibility, but not for developing power/speed. You need to develop strength, flexibility, and power/speed. Swinging a heavy club it is also easier to feel where it is and so it increases awareness of the club while practicing.

But for Trencher's purpose of doing the drill to learn the action of a retaining trail arm against a fixed lead arm using static holds and very slow motion swings he is good to go.

October 12th, 2010, 10:42 pm #8

I pop in once in a while but a family loss a few years back forced a move and this caused me to fully retire and lose interest in clubmaking. Not to mention that many component suppliers started building clubs along with some of the swing gurus who found club sales would supplement their instruction portfolio.

I'll find a heavy pipe and work on the muscles related to the actual move. The link you provide is no doubt a more comprehensive program but I'm too lazy for that intensity

Thanks again, g'luck with your 'Blueprint', you have a passion I now only dream of,.... golf is pure social recreation now but always experimenting on the course. Never take it to the range where a serious contender should be.
practice the Vital / Master move at the same time. Just swing slowly to the top, then while keeping your top of swing position, move back onto your lead side.

The "down swing" should be thought of as more of a "transporting of the whole arm assembly "intact" as the trail elbow seeks the navel. You will find that there is only a very specific way you can move first your lower body - legs then hips, and then your shoulders in order for your trail elbow arrive at then ideal position in front of your trial hip.

Do this a couple times a week for 10-15 minutes and you will be amazed how your swing will change.

Again it was great to hear from ya!

Kevin

October 13th, 2010, 12:31 am #9

On using a heavy pipe causing shanks is exactly that and nothing more. There is no evidence whatsoever that what you say is true.

Literally thousands of people have done Bertholy drills with heavy pipes, even more have swung heavy weighted clubs at the suggestion of such well known pros as Harvey Penick and Hank Haney to name just two. Vijya Singh worked with a sledge hammer and other heavy clubs for years...

What we do know now about swinging just a heavy club is that it is great for developing strength and flexibility, but not for developing power/speed. You need to develop strength, flexibility, and power/speed. Swinging a heavy club it is also easier to feel where it is and so it increases awareness of the club while practicing.

But for Trencher's purpose of doing the drill to learn the action of a retaining trail arm against a fixed lead arm using static holds and very slow motion swings he is good to go.

Well, Bertholy mentions his students shanking themselves off of the course so he was familiar with the shot. Not to mention his sure fire cure that I have discussed in the past.

As for famous teaching pros recommending such exercise, lol so what?

This article that I believe that you have referenced says that +/- 13% is best for athletic training.

Here is a quote from the article:
DeRenne and House (1993) state that the closer the supplementary exercise is to the primary activity, the greater the transfer of the training effect to the actual skill.

LOL, swinging a sledge hammer to try to improve my golf swing is stupid and I have proven that to myself on more then one occasion. Maybe your results will vary???

Regards, Herbert

October 13th, 2010, 1:22 am #10

that heavy clubs cause the shanks...I'm sure Vijay hits tons of those. Was jsut trying to relate that I doubt teaching pros and players would recommend and use something that caused shanks! That's all.

Bertholy never said that using the swing pipe was a casue for shanks the shanks. He did say that THINKING ABOUT THE MOVES AND POSITIONS WHILE ACTUALLY PLAYING A SHOT could cause you "shank yourself off the course.

Just trying to keep it real bro!