Natural Golf

Natural Golf

June 1st, 2012, 1:33 pm #1

Are any of you still using it and are you still using it by the old teachings or have you modified it? Also, are any of you using NG clubs or have you modified other clubs. I occasionally still fool around with it and I have two sets of their irons (original and pipeline irons and a becu 5 wood). I have always though that NG was a pretty good way to play but truthfully, I don't play with it but only fool around with it from time to time. There are times, especially when I'm not playing well, when I think about going back to it, starting from the beginning and staying with it.

June 1st, 2012, 11:12 pm #2

I use NG. Of course there were several generations of NG. I came to it during the time of the Ron Jaworski "7 Minutes To Better Golf" DVD, and that is more or less what I use. Later they suggested moving the lead hand grip down to the fingers. Eventually my NGCI had me do that.

I tried IMA and felt it was pretty close. But his drills were counter-productive for me. I also tried Graves. Just IMO, he probably has done a great job of breaking down what Moe did, but that doesn't mean it works for others. Some of it is probably just Moe-specific. I couldn't get anywhere with it, and it actually set me back.

That's the thing, we somehow have to find a way to swing that is natural and effective for us as individuals. IMA is good. Graves is good. But they didn't fit me. The NG drills, as much as they were mocked at the time, work very well for me. I found my old CI, took two lessons, and this year am getting back to hitting it better with my arms taking the lead, as Ken Martin also advocates.

I have never owned NG clubs. Any regular clubs will work, as long as you get fitted for lie angle and flex, just like any other golfer. I build up the lower portion of my grip to take out a lot of the taper. I've messed around with grips WAY too much, it's been a wild goose chase.

June 2nd, 2012, 1:31 pm #3

Are any of you still using it and are you still using it by the old teachings or have you modified it? Also, are any of you using NG clubs or have you modified other clubs. I occasionally still fool around with it and I have two sets of their irons (original and pipeline irons and a becu 5 wood). I have always though that NG was a pretty good way to play but truthfully, I don't play with it but only fool around with it from time to time. There are times, especially when I'm not playing well, when I think about going back to it, starting from the beginning and staying with it.
Keep going back and trying these methods with little success. I know it is something I'm not understanding. I can't swing with arms and club weight that far away from body with out losing balance.
The pitch Graves states about all pros being SA at impact I don't see. I think it appears that way because hands are so far in front of club head. If they set up low hands and hit with hands high wouldn't divot be heavy on the toe?
Paul

June 2nd, 2012, 5:40 pm #4

Club lie is adjusted for impact not address.

Peter

June 3rd, 2012, 1:33 am #5

Keep going back and trying these methods with little success. I know it is something I'm not understanding. I can't swing with arms and club weight that far away from body with out losing balance.
The pitch Graves states about all pros being SA at impact I don't see. I think it appears that way because hands are so far in front of club head. If they set up low hands and hit with hands high wouldn't divot be heavy on the toe?
Paul
That is one of the things in the Graves model I cannot do, namely the full extension of the arms. NG would allow you to be more comfortable and in balance. Just keep the single axis setup and don't reach out so far.

gsw

June 3rd, 2012, 4:48 am #6

I find myself going back to the IMA impact backwards drills whenever my golf swing goes bad. Going through the IMA drills from start to finish always fixes my golf swing. I do use a split grip where the right hand is at the bottom of a standard length grip with my left hand at the top of the grip but the right hand action is pure IMA. Sometimes my right hand gets a bit strong sort of like the HSS swing but the action stays the same as IMA teaches. In the IMA video Scott says that the action of right hand needs to be preformed without the left hand interfering and the best way for me to keep the left hand out of the swing is to split my hands on the grip and let the right control the swing. I think IMA is simply Natural Golf improved.

Stan

June 3rd, 2012, 2:05 pm #7

I disagree with that. I bought the IMA videos and practiced the drills but never could get right with it and I really wanted to because I think that Scott is one of the best teachers I've ever watched on a video. Maybe I was doing things wrong but with IMA the shanks always jumped up and bit me. There was something with the grip that just didn't seem to fit with me but I know that wasn't what was causing the shanks. Frankly I don't know what it was, only that it was always there and I couldn't figure it out. Too bad because I really wanted it to work. But with NG I never experienced the shanks. Go figure. If anybody who uses IMA has any insight to this I'm all ears. The thing I liked about IMA was that the stance and everything else, with the exception of the grip, seemed to fit my like a glove.

June 3rd, 2012, 3:24 pm #8

I don't disagree with your post or what you do, only that I can't do it that way. Sorry, I know I used the wrong words to express my thoughts. Hope I didn't offend.

June 3rd, 2012, 4:00 pm #9

I disagree with that. I bought the IMA videos and practiced the drills but never could get right with it and I really wanted to because I think that Scott is one of the best teachers I've ever watched on a video. Maybe I was doing things wrong but with IMA the shanks always jumped up and bit me. There was something with the grip that just didn't seem to fit with me but I know that wasn't what was causing the shanks. Frankly I don't know what it was, only that it was always there and I couldn't figure it out. Too bad because I really wanted it to work. But with NG I never experienced the shanks. Go figure. If anybody who uses IMA has any insight to this I'm all ears. The thing I liked about IMA was that the stance and everything else, with the exception of the grip, seemed to fit my like a glove.
IMA is like a machine and if you take out a part, the machine might not work or work as well. One part is that the extension of your trail arm has to cause the rotation of your lead arm. If you maintain lead arm support (lead arm in contact with lead side pectoral). It is very easy, especially when you loose lead arm connection, for the extension of your trail arm to pushy your lead arm through impact without causing it to rotate. Note that you must not use the muscles of your lead arm to cause the rotation. The rotation must be caused by the extension of your trail arm.

Peter

June 3rd, 2012, 11:48 pm #10

Peter, do you think this is what may have caused my shanks? That maybe my lead arm didn't rotate to bring the clubface around and thus the hosel was leading the way? Never thought about that. I guess I've always thought that the lead side should lead so more thought was given to what the lead arm was doing than the trail arm. Maybe I'll pull the vids out and watch them again and think about what you said when I get to the range. Maybe the right arm has gotten a bad rap.