Myofascial Release - This is REALLY good!

Myofascial Release - This is REALLY good!

March 10th, 2011, 3:13 am #1

I meant to post this awhile back and never did. The post about the bum knee made me realize I posted on my forum and to my customers but not here! I think there have been discussions around here before with the somax microfiber stuff - I would say what follows is "poor man's" micro fiber release and deep tissue massage.

A local student of mine - "sebain" in my forum and lurker here is turning out to be quite a resource for me. He is the one who loaned me his speed chain for my test. And now something else - the teacher has become the student again! He recently mentioned the subject of Myofascial Release. He mentioned it to me and I have been using it since I read up on it. For me the results have truly been amazing. Basically, it is "deep tissue massage" and I found a site that gives you examples of exercises you can do to remove all those knots. Here is the link which is good as it talks about the what and why a bit as well as give the basic exercises:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/se ... lease.html

As I have recently posted here, I have a bad left knee I blew out years ago playing soccer and only have a 25% rim of cartilage remaining. After a practice session, or walking 18 it is sore and getting more sore as the years go by (53 yrs young). Since beginning speed training, it was really sore. I had just resigned myself to the fact that I'm 53, the knee is junk, and eventually I will need to get it replaced - I ice it and go on.

After reading up on Myofascial release, it occurred to me that my new workouts may have caused some knots and damage to the fascia around my knee. So I call up my gym and ask if they have "the rollers", they do. So I go do my workout and after my stretches, I start administering this self myofascial release technique.

I found several knots or "trigger" points as they call them on the outside of my quad, and one right below my knee joint on my calf. The way you find these knots is to simply roll on top of the roller the muscle your are working, letting the roller support most of your weight. When you get to a trigger point, you feel pain - one was so painful I couldn't let all my weight down. Once on a trigger point you stay there until the pain subsides - this busts the knot up.

So I did that on my whole left leg. When I got up, I could not believe it - no pain and lots more range of motion in my knee than I have had in a LONG time. That was about two weeks ago. I have continued to use this technique on my my whole body and especially my left knee. The range of motion, decrease in pain, and reduction in swelling has my "bad knee" almost 100% of what my good knee is - truly amazing.

I can imagine that working your muscles like this over an extended period of time will be very beneficial for flexibility or overall health and wellness. Check it out and give it a try.

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

March 11th, 2011, 5:16 pm #2

both Myofacial release and Active Release Technique applied to my shoulder by professionals and found ART to be MUCH more beneficial. Once you find the active release points and the movement to make to release them, you can administer it to yourself.
Last edited by allenws on March 22nd, 2011, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 12th, 2011, 11:36 am #3

and if ART is better I may be in luck...there are several practitioners close by. Was your treatment covered by your insurance? Also, I get the active component (movement required) but I wonder how I would apply the deep tissue work without another set of hands?

I am a big fan of this type of thing already, and cannot believe how well my knee is doing. My knee is starting to show definition - I can now see the definition of the knee cap, and it is almost the same size as my good knee.

I have noticed that my recovery and stamina seems to have improved too. After a workout, I am not as sore. In my day job, I walk the sales floor for about five hours a day, and by the end of the day, my legs were tired and I just had a general "fatigued" feeling. Not so much now, and after a "release session" I have a sense of well-being and satisfaction that is hard to describe.

I know not all of this is because of the myofascial release - I continue to do well on my overall fitness - down to 197 lbs now, with a resting heart rate of 63 and BP around 120/70. Not carrying around almost 30 lbs of fat probably has a lot to do with this too!

Thanks for the link and info.

Kevin

March 12th, 2011, 4:12 pm #4

covers Chiropractic care and my local Chiropractor was a licensed ART practitioner ... so yes, it was covered for me. For my shoulder, ART involved pressing hard on one or two spots around the shoulder socket while moving the arm forward (like you are going to punch someone) while pronating the hand. After a few treatments I found that I could do this to myself with about the same results. Every time the shoulder pain flares up I do the procedure and get instant relief.

I will warn you that the first few times the ART practitioner does a technique, you will shout out in pain, but the instant relief is worth it. ART was the only thing that got my wife's frozen shoulder freed. Therapy and cortisone injections did nothing for her. She was ready for surgery until we found the ART guy.

March 12th, 2011, 4:53 pm #5

I meant to post this awhile back and never did. The post about the bum knee made me realize I posted on my forum and to my customers but not here! I think there have been discussions around here before with the somax microfiber stuff - I would say what follows is "poor man's" micro fiber release and deep tissue massage.

A local student of mine - "sebain" in my forum and lurker here is turning out to be quite a resource for me. He is the one who loaned me his speed chain for my test. And now something else - the teacher has become the student again! He recently mentioned the subject of Myofascial Release. He mentioned it to me and I have been using it since I read up on it. For me the results have truly been amazing. Basically, it is "deep tissue massage" and I found a site that gives you examples of exercises you can do to remove all those knots. Here is the link which is good as it talks about the what and why a bit as well as give the basic exercises:

As I have recently posted here, I have a bad left knee I blew out years ago playing soccer and only have a 25% rim of cartilage remaining. After a practice session, or walking 18 it is sore and getting more sore as the years go by (53 yrs young). Since beginning speed training, it was really sore. I had just resigned myself to the fact that I'm 53, the knee is junk, and eventually I will need to get it replaced - I ice it and go on.

After reading up on Myofascial release, it occurred to me that my new workouts may have caused some knots and damage to the fascia around my knee. So I call up my gym and ask if they have "the rollers", they do. So I go do my workout and after my stretches, I start administering this self myofascial release technique.

I found several knots or "trigger" points as they call them on the outside of my quad, and one right below my knee joint on my calf. The way you find these knots is to simply roll on top of the roller the muscle your are working, letting the roller support most of your weight. When you get to a trigger point, you feel pain - one was so painful I couldn't let all my weight down. Once on a trigger point you stay there until the pain subsides - this busts the knot up.

So I did that on my whole left leg. When I got up, I could not believe it - no pain and lots more range of motion in my knee than I have had in a LONG time. That was about two weeks ago. I have continued to use this technique on my my whole body and especially my left knee. The range of motion, decrease in pain, and reduction in swelling has my "bad knee" almost 100% of what my good knee is - truly amazing.

I can imagine that working your muscles like this over an extended period of time will be very beneficial for flexibility or overall health and wellness. Check it out and give it a try.

Kevin

I just started physical therapy for my lower back problems and after the evaluation the first thing I was started on were the foam rollers

BTW - All covered by my insurance since I had a prescription for therapy.

Peter

March 12th, 2011, 5:08 pm #6

Ham didn't jump all over your comment that you had a "prescription for therapy" ...he must be slipping!

Seriously though, it is amazing stuff and I know you will get some good help. Since posting I have heard from several others via email to definitely check out ART. One of them has a long association with the academy and says that the founder's office is in Colorado Springs, so as to be close to the Olympic Team training site....works with many world class athletes.

To bring it back to golf, this type of thing brings to light one of the missing factors as to why "THESE GUYS ARE GOOD" on the tour (or any expert level sport for that matter). They have access to all the latest EVERYTHING, fitness and training, equipment and technology. The rest of us...we find out about these things...maybe.

Of course those guys are GOOD with the sticks, but they have some other advantages for sure that we often never even hear about.

Good luck with your back.

Kevin

March 13th, 2011, 10:05 pm #7

Initial evaluation shows that I am below standard for inward rotation of each leg. The hypothesis is that this lack of flexibility in my hips is partially responsible for the lower back pain and will be a target of therapy. Good to remember that you need to have the appropriate range of motion for every body part in every direction of movement.

I also found the asymmetry of my performance between left and right sides of some of the tests interesting and another thing that will be addressed.

Herbert told me about an affordable, home device that uses the same type of 'engine' as the 'Leaper' that I trained on years ago and found so effective. This model would allow for a wider range of activities with different mounting points including some of the resistance exercises from therapy. Hopefully a future present

Peter

March 17th, 2011, 1:15 am #8

Kevin

Physical therapists and more recently personal trainers are prescribing rolling on 4-6" foam rollers for myofascial release. Although you don't need to learn the physiology behind it, be assured it is one of the best and most economical tools to rehabilitate vitually all soft tissue.

Don't expect to hear about it from chiropractor's though, so many of their client's would stop coming in if they just utilize a foam roller at home, at work, or at the gym.

Other tools that are excellent for self administered myofascial release, and trigger point release include a variety of different sized and different density balls. These include tennis balls, lacrosse balls, rubber playground balls, and basketballs.

Balls are actually better for trigger point release because of the concentrated point of contact are able to break apart the tight knotted (trigger points) much better than the foam rollers. Larger balls also do a better job of joint mobilization than a foam roller. Do some web searches to learn about the techniques...it's basic stuff, all over youtube etc. and you don't need to buy over priced "miracle balls" that come with a video or book.

March 17th, 2011, 10:55 am #9

Thanks Larry for that info. The guy that turned me onto this showed me his tennis ball roller. Two non pressurized tennis balls duct taped together. He uses these to get to the trigger points on his back that he can't hit as well with the large roller technique.

A person at the gym the other day told me a good one - he saw a weight lifter doing this with a piece of PVC pipe! Ouch! After his workout he chewed glass and ate nails probably too! Maniac.

What I find fascinating about all this stuff is how beneficial and helpful it really is, as you say, for not a very big investment. My overall flexibility has improved so much that I can now touch my palms to the floor "cold" with no warm up first thing in the morning. Used to be creaky and stiff right outa bed...not so much now.

Great stuff...

Kevin

March 21st, 2011, 8:11 am #10

I came across the tennis ball alternative a few days ago when looking at foam rollers, I'm hooked ! Whether there's any myowhatsit going on I have no idea, but I start every day with a few minutes rolling out my back and hamstrings and it feels wonderful. As a 63 year old who stupidly insists on carrying round quite a hilly course I need all the help I can get.....