My try at duplicating the Ben Hogan Swing

My try at duplicating the Ben Hogan Swing

December 7th, 2011, 12:49 am #1

My goal.........to see how close I come to duplicating the Hogan swing. I've been at it for a few weeks now. I'm making very slow progress each week. Hopefuly, I'll have this accomplished withing the year, but who knows how long it will really take!

Many out there say it is not possible, because he had a secret.......I say there is no mechanical swing secret, just mental secrets and secret feelings. All the "secrets" are in his videos!

Wish me luck!

Here's my baseline video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq0GhA0v ... r_embedded

December 7th, 2011, 2:33 am #2

Nice swing but this is where you need to be if you want to be like Ben. Look at Hogans right elbow position compared to yours:

You are slapping at it with your arms. Make that right elbow "seek the navel" and have some bend in it too if you wanna be like Ben. Perhaps peter will post that b/w GIF of Hogans Move...

Not just Hogan either:

Kevin
A Blueprint For Golf Excellence

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

December 7th, 2011, 3:14 am #3

Thanks for the input. Yep, I know exactly what you mean. Angle hinged. That's gonna take some time....whew.

December 7th, 2011, 4:43 am #4

My goal.........to see how close I come to duplicating the Hogan swing. I've been at it for a few weeks now. I'm making very slow progress each week. Hopefuly, I'll have this accomplished withing the year, but who knows how long it will really take!

Many out there say it is not possible, because he had a secret.......I say there is no mechanical swing secret, just mental secrets and secret feelings. All the "secrets" are in his videos!

Wish me luck!

One of my playing partners asked how the project was going and who I was using as a teacher. Told him I am working on the address right now and that I have no teacher.

At this point, I only listen to my eyes. That's my secret. If someone gives me a book with a description of how to do a dance move, it will be from their perspective, from what they feel. My perspective may be totally different. I may translate what they are saying as something way off base. Plus they will surely leave out an intricate detail because to them, the detail is so much a part of a common human move, that they will expect everyone to already know of it.

If they give me a video to duplicate, I can break it down into mini moves, and just get in a mirror till I am spot on.

So my hypothesis is that I cannot duplicate hogans swing by reading the book or someone telling me how to do it. I just have to break the address onto 1 inch mini moves. Same for all the rest.

The hogan videos are my #1 training aid. Without them, this project is impossible
Last edited by Ben_Hogan_Swing_Project on December 9th, 2011, 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 7th, 2011, 12:28 pm #5

Wish me luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhoAW6aikcc

In the 'Take 3" swing, focusing on the takeaway. Trying to understand why right shoulder keeps rising while taking it back. Gotta do more to keep right shoulder down.

The funniest part of this video is swing #3, where I wanted to really FEEL my elbow jabbing me into my side during the downswing; doing this caused the club to move in towards me, which moved it away from the ball. I hit it just off the toe, and ball went flying sideways and bounced like a pinball around the garage, including into the ceiling above, which is our master bedroom, where my wife is lying in the bed. lol, I thought I had put my eye out. This is where my Mom would have said, "Mr. Anthony, you know we don't hit or throw in this house!!

The part you don't hear is when my wife yells "What are you DOING down there????? The sane people are trying to SLEEP!!!!!!!!"

LOLOLOL!!! I may have to set up a secret camera while I'm practicing to catch her hilarious reactions and comments!

December 7th, 2011, 4:43 pm #6

Nice swing but this is where you need to be if you want to be like Ben. Look at Hogans right elbow position compared to yours:

You are slapping at it with your arms. Make that right elbow "seek the navel" and have some bend in it too if you wanna be like Ben. Perhaps peter will post that b/w GIF of Hogans Move...

Not just Hogan either:

Kevin

Looking very good !

McIrishman is right about #14, and the elbow in close. But other than that your swing is looking very good. Ben is a little higher at the finish.

So how is your ball stiking ?

December 7th, 2011, 7:59 pm #7

Not just Hogan either:

Kevin

how much of Hogan's front leg is visible versus yours. More of his his butt is facing the camera.... Hogan has rotated his hips lots more....(other guys too)

Kevin
The Authentic Golfer

December 7th, 2011, 8:18 pm #8

Wish me luck!

You need to get you some pants with a long rise inseam; Rocco
Mediate could help you with that. And a driving cap.

Then you need to do flexibility exercises out the wazoo. Hogan
(and a number of current pros) are able to rotate their hips
through impact till they face well left of target. You will note
that after impact Ben is still rotating his body well after yours stops.

I like what you are doing and the swing looks okay but you have a lot
of work left to do. Hogan's "drop from the top" is not an independent action
it is a result of another action. Look for that.

Keep it up and good luck.

December 7th, 2011, 9:27 pm #9

Thanks for the input. Yep, I know exactly what you mean. Angle hinged. That's gonna take some time....whew.
'angle hinged'. Think about the picture:

Be forewarned; it is VERY difficult to get to this position once your trail elbow is away from your side. I created a drill swing where top of swing STARTS with the starting position shown. Swinging this way works better than you might expect and is VERY educational about the 'feel' this swing should have. However I taught the drill to one of the participants here in person and even with the direction to not let his trail elbow separate from his body he REALLY had to focus to keep it in contact even on short pitch shots and even a little separation made a HUGE difference in ball flight.

Peter

December 7th, 2011, 9:47 pm #10

Repeat over and over..."On station...Elbow on station...on station..."