My take on the newest approach

My take on the newest approach

October 6th, 2011, 4:17 am #1

I have advocated on this forum simplicity. Any talk of lag, plane, wrist cock, whatever is voodoo. It does not work, never did. You can't teach a student all this. It all happens of course, you just can't make it happen. But as long as our customers believed it did, we kept on suckering them in. It is not hard to sucker a student, most of them want to find some stupid secret so bad, they are more than "suckerable". Well, now we have a problem folks. A deep recession. Pockets are not so deep. So it is very difficult to sucker people in, and if we do, they catch on pretty quick.I have my own way of teaching. Those of you that have read my posts should know what it is. I am a big one for releasing from the top. And releasing all the way to the finish. Of course, there is a bit more to it, but once I spend an hour or so on setup, tilt, and grip, it is just a turn to the trail side, and a free release through to the finish. The smiles on my students faces is the only testiment I need, don't care whether anyone else approves or not. I am into real teaching and getting results, don't need the approval of a bunch of internet nerds who talk a big line but could not break 100 from the front tees in real life.

Well, this is different that what I have ever taught. It is simpler and better. It works. It is the epitome of simplicity. From a biomechanical standpoint, it is mind boggling. I can only speak from my experience, and I cannot of yet give reasons why, but my swing speed has gone up 5 mph with this approach. I have never felt the shafts load on my clubs like this before. I feel like a little kid, on a bike with the training wheels off for the first time.

After a few range sessions with this, and shooting a 79 yesterday, I don't need much convincing. The real thing. So simple, right in front of you. Don't try to make it more than what it is, it is what it is. Some of you here and elsewhere will continue on, with all your computer nerd rants about lag, swing plane, blah blah blah. This game is so simple. The ball is stationary, it is right there in front of your face, you computer nerds are hysterical. It is so simple really, hysterical how hard some of you make it. Accept the fact that all this technical jargon is just a way of making yourselves feel better. It makes you feel useful and smart. It is empowering. Continue on if you like. Our game is in danger. Do any of you read the trade literature and understand how many courses have closed and how many rounds nationally we are down? Bet most golfers have no idea.

Keep on talking about lag, plane, blah blah blah. Keep on believing in the tooth fairy. Go for it, if it makes you feel good. Keep on expousing all these silly biomechanical phrases and terms, bet it makes some feel real smart. Thank goodness there are a few out there than make it so simple. And really ask for so little in return. God bless them.

Go play golf, try it. Golf swing, that is no fun. Try playing golf, sad how many do not know what that playing golf REALLY is.

My best wishes to all. Could not care less who agrees or disagrees, the truth is the truth.

Sally

October 6th, 2011, 5:53 pm #2

Any talk of lag, plane, wrist cock, whatever is voodoo. It does not work, never did. You can't teach a student all this.

Paul Bertholy proved this statement to be incorrect with thousands of students (not counting those he taught indirectly through instructors that learned from him) and that is not only the 'truth' it is a fact. As some have said 'You are entitled to your own opinion ('truth') but you are not entitled to your own facts.'

Peter

October 6th, 2011, 6:18 pm #3

I have advocated on this forum simplicity. Any talk of lag, plane, wrist cock, whatever is voodoo. It does not work, never did. You can't teach a student all this. It all happens of course, you just can't make it happen. But as long as our customers believed it did, we kept on suckering them in. It is not hard to sucker a student, most of them want to find some stupid secret so bad, they are more than "suckerable". Well, now we have a problem folks. A deep recession. Pockets are not so deep. So it is very difficult to sucker people in, and if we do, they catch on pretty quick.I have my own way of teaching. Those of you that have read my posts should know what it is. I am a big one for releasing from the top. And releasing all the way to the finish. Of course, there is a bit more to it, but once I spend an hour or so on setup, tilt, and grip, it is just a turn to the trail side, and a free release through to the finish. The smiles on my students faces is the only testiment I need, don't care whether anyone else approves or not. I am into real teaching and getting results, don't need the approval of a bunch of internet nerds who talk a big line but could not break 100 from the front tees in real life.

Well, this is different that what I have ever taught. It is simpler and better. It works. It is the epitome of simplicity. From a biomechanical standpoint, it is mind boggling. I can only speak from my experience, and I cannot of yet give reasons why, but my swing speed has gone up 5 mph with this approach. I have never felt the shafts load on my clubs like this before. I feel like a little kid, on a bike with the training wheels off for the first time.

After a few range sessions with this, and shooting a 79 yesterday, I don't need much convincing. The real thing. So simple, right in front of you. Don't try to make it more than what it is, it is what it is. Some of you here and elsewhere will continue on, with all your computer nerd rants about lag, swing plane, blah blah blah. This game is so simple. The ball is stationary, it is right there in front of your face, you computer nerds are hysterical. It is so simple really, hysterical how hard some of you make it. Accept the fact that all this technical jargon is just a way of making yourselves feel better. It makes you feel useful and smart. It is empowering. Continue on if you like. Our game is in danger. Do any of you read the trade literature and understand how many courses have closed and how many rounds nationally we are down? Bet most golfers have no idea.

Keep on talking about lag, plane, blah blah blah. Keep on believing in the tooth fairy. Go for it, if it makes you feel good. Keep on expousing all these silly biomechanical phrases and terms, bet it makes some feel real smart. Thank goodness there are a few out there than make it so simple. And really ask for so little in return. God bless them.

Go play golf, try it. Golf swing, that is no fun. Try playing golf, sad how many do not know what that playing golf REALLY is.

My best wishes to all. Could not care less who agrees or disagrees, the truth is the truth.

Sally

I was wondering what is ment by this statement ? Newest approach ?

October 6th, 2011, 6:21 pm #4

Sally
Most of us are aware of the state of golf industry. I took my grandson
to a golf camp at a private club and had occasion to speak with the pro
and the superintendent. They are losing members at an alarming rate and many
clubs are offering special membership rates. They don't show much creativity
in my town however; I asked if I could bring grandson to their driving range
to hit balls and ingrain his new swing habits. Answer: absolutely not. Members only.
I asked if I could join with myself and my grandsons on a family membership rate.
Absolutely not. Single households only. Frustrating.

As far as MGS goes I haven't had much success trying it. I am sure that it works for some
but I wouldn't assign it the holy grail. I know Bertholy works and it is the antithesis
of MGS. Bertholy worked for Mac and it worked for me while I was doing the required
drudgery. Personally I prefer a more relaxed and intuitive approach and it has
gotten me into the high seventies. During most rounds I will hit a few with MGS because I
love experimentation and the results resemble most experiments.

Computer nerds? I expect most of us choked on our cigars on that one.

October 6th, 2011, 7:47 pm #5

I was wondering what is ment by this statement ? Newest approach ?
Guess I missed something.. What approach?

October 6th, 2011, 9:40 pm #6

Sally
What is the newest approach? n/t

October 6th, 2011, 10:24 pm #7

Sally
Oh please kill me, am I the only one that notices that this is what Moe did by placing the club a few inches behind the ball.

I am sure that Peter may have a few images of Moe showing this. If somone doesnt think its the same other the club being farther away from the ball, than please explain it to me, why its not the same., or its better and why is it being presented as something that is such a new approach.

October 6th, 2011, 11:19 pm #8

Sally
I was worried that I was one of those guys, then I realized that my index is down to 8.7 so I guess that I am okay. LOL still a nerd or maybe more geek with a bit of hacker thrown in and proud of it!

Herbert

October 7th, 2011, 12:48 am #9

Sally
Sally,
I loved the idea of calling them all voodoo.

The trick is to give one technical and one simple explanation to readers of this forum, while keeping it simple for one's students.

'Lag' when it means a backward bend of the wrist (extension) is pretty useless because all it does is let the wrist straighten out (flex from extended) at impact. Arm power (the smaller fraction of power in the golf swing, compared with the body's), comes from rolling over the right arm (pronating) past the ball, and as long as the right forearm is under (semi-supine) leading upto impact, it will role over, provided the lower body has started the downswing ahead of the upper body (correct kinetic chain or sequential summation of forces).

'Plane' is the biggest voodoo there is. Especially any plane that is a description of the club. The only plane described should be of the left arm with its axis at the left shoulder. The left arm of a right handed golfer is the longest lever she/he can have, and every golfer's brain tries its best to re-route the body from any top-of-backswing positions to straighten that left arm!!! At all costs. So, a description of backswing shaft plane requires all sorts of body parts to be on that plane at different stages of the backswing. Which is silly and funny but not a true definition of plane where you track ONE item all the way !

'Wrist cock' is also a very dangerous item. The human wrist rarely bends on a single (wrist cock or radial/ulnar deviation) plane. This cock plane is OK, but when, as inevitably happens, the wrist (right) bends backwards (extends) it locks in the arm and forearm into anatomically awkward positions. Requiring a big downswing reroute. The wrist cock should only take place in the downswing, using correct mechanisms to produce it. The wrists should be neutral during the backswing, and as soon as the right elbow drops down because of the lower body leading the downswing, the wrists will lag!

I love the word voodoo, all those concepts are certainly not science. Would like to be so bold as to add to your voodoo list - grip!
Kiran Kanwar
(inventor Minimalist Golf Swing, BS physics, math, MS [candidate] sports science)

October 7th, 2011, 1:02 am #10

Sally
from where...DING ....DING ...DING. The Internet!

Every single epiphany that has moved my swing and game form one level to the next has come to me via this forum....except of course this latest MGS info.

I prefer to keep things simple and have still found great help here. And if you think things in this forum are full of golf mumbo jumbo now, you have no clue. You'd have croaked had you dealt with the likes of Mandrin, Jono, but of course Ham, Herbert, and Peter still sling it around quite well.

Each person views and acts in the world differently. In the corporate world, my DiSC® profile has me as a high "I" profile with a very low (-20) "C". i don't need details. No surprise there, as my clearkey profile has me as a Persuader style. I need interaction with people, action and feelings. Damn the torpedos, straight ahead, sort it out on the fly. Act first, think later.

Others learn better by taking things a step at time, learning all the nuances and intricacies involved, they have to know why. Neither style is wrong, if learning takes place.

I am quite sure Mrs. Kanwar could explain in the language of bio mechanics and ball flight laws why she wants you to set up the way she does, but I don't need to have that information. I just try it, and if it works, great. But others may learn better from a more detailed explanation that would involve things like plane, COAM, ground reaction force, the pivot of the swing,and so on. Good for them. If they find a better way to swing and play from that type of explanation, then super.

But one thing that is common for all behavior styles and learning types - At the end of the day, after all is said and read - The only way you really learn a motor skill is by doing it over and over until it becomes a habit. The only way to achieve a proper impact position, is to practice the moves and positions that get you there. You gotta put in the reps.

Like CD said, research and development. The meat and potatoes and why this is such a great forum, and why golf is such a great game.

All great golfers find a way to get there. But some ways are better than others.

Kevin

BTW- Nice round for an 11 inbdex!

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!