My hands

My hands

June 7th, 2011, 1:10 pm #1

":::are beating club head to the ball"

Last night I was hitting shots in my neighborhood park. I had a nice pile of birdie balls near the flag..and mors than a few I was blocking right. I hit another and this guy who walks his dog everyday and watches me yells the above.

Really?
"Yes, that's why you are hitting them right." I tell him I WANT my hands to do this. He says the hands should return to impact and shows me a perfect arms swing with the Y at impact. That's what I want he says.

So I explain that my blocks are cuz my hips are not clearing properly and that in fact is what I am working on....he just shakes his head and says that our swings are just different....well...he's right about that anyways !

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

June 7th, 2011, 1:35 pm #2

Next time invite him to hit a few and take some video!

Regards, Herbert

June 7th, 2011, 8:34 pm #3

Last night I was hitting shots in my neighborhood park. I had a nice pile of birdie balls near the flag..and mors than a few I was blocking right. I hit another and this guy who walks his dog everyday and watches me yells the above.

Really?
"Yes, that's why you are hitting them right." I tell him I WANT my hands to do this. He says the hands should return to impact and shows me a perfect arms swing with the Y at impact. That's what I want he says.

So I explain that my blocks are cuz my hips are not clearing properly and that in fact is what I am working on....he just shakes his head and says that our swings are just different....well...he's right about that anyways !

In general it is thought that the more open the hips are at impact the more ball will tend to push or got right for a righthander. I am curious what you mean 'clearing properly'?

Also I think that changing your spine angle at impact if that is happening could have a big effect on your ball striking. Have you noticed anything in that area?

LOL as a side note Jim Hardy recommends the very hip thrust that we are trying to get rid of!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNg5yI7r ... e=youtu.be

How is your weather doing now? Playable I hope!

Regards, Herbert

June 7th, 2011, 9:44 pm #4

Yes clearing is unclear by what I meant by what I said ( best yogi imitation I can do) ...

When my hips / pelvis move toward the ball, or, when they don't rotate, the ball goes right. It's a combo thing and yes spine angle is involved too.

The weather has been great just this past few days and many courses are just now able to get mowers out and cut. I have now played a whopping total of three nine hole rounds, and two 18's. The 18 last Monday was the first time i played where it didn't rain on us! Hopefully we have turned the corner.

My putting is coming along...my last 18 holes I took just 29 putts and no three putts! Ball striking is better than last year, and I have a made a full out commitment to short game improvement...should be a fun season and I so grateful to be playing.

kevin

June 8th, 2011, 2:58 pm #5

Really?

bow your lead wrist a bit more to close the club face at impact. This clip of Ted Kroll that Peter posted many years ago demonstrates the principle quite well.

June 9th, 2011, 3:02 pm #6

Alan,

If I bow my lead wrist at address (by simply bending my trail wrist backward far enough), the clubhead just moves along an arc and the shaft doesn't rotate about its axis. With the clubhead now farther "behind my hands" (and farther from the area of impact), the clubface is open to the target line.

Scott

June 14th, 2011, 12:22 pm #7

add some supination to the lead hand to get the club face square to the target. Note that I said lead HAND supination not lead forearm supination. There is a huge difference. The good thing is that with a bowed lead wrist there is a hard limit as to the amount of lead hand supination that can be accomplished in the impact position ... just enough to square the club face, but never too much as to cause hooks.

June 14th, 2011, 10:31 pm #8

The hand will not supinate unless the motion originates with the forearm (radius and ulna).

Peter

June 15th, 2011, 12:23 am #9

He might be talking about rotating the elbow?

Regards, Herbert

June 15th, 2011, 12:55 am #10

The radius and ulna terminate at the elbow. The other rotation that would produce similar motion at the hand originate at the shoulder and includes rotation of the forearm.

Peter