More nonsense?

More nonsense?

February 26th, 2011, 8:27 am #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7zirnDcFOc

LOL, I don't believe that Phil is losing his spine angle due to his setup.

He definitely is rounding his back though...

Regards, Herbert

February 26th, 2011, 12:59 pm #2

between his rounding and mine for example, is that Phil's tush stays out....saw that right away.

You might find this article interesting. This compares backswing movements of tour players and shows differences between "Long hitters" vs "Accuracy players". Talks about your man DJ Trahan too.

I was a little encouraged after reading this as he mentions that some of the long hitters make a "rising up" / upload as they complete the backswing. The other thing was that the majority of the tour players rotate and laterally move their heads slightly to the right. The biggest hitters do it the most. Contrary to the old school teaching that the "head stays still"....doing this limits the turn.

Kevin
"A Blueprint For Golf Excellence"

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!
Last edited by mcirishman57 on February 26th, 2011, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 26th, 2011, 4:49 pm #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7zirnDcFOc

LOL, I don't believe that Phil is losing his spine angle due to his setup.

He definitely is rounding his back though...

Regards, Herbert
seem like nonsense. Like McIrishman said Phil's hips did not move towards the ball so the rounding seems to not be from the lower back.

Peter

February 26th, 2011, 5:53 pm #4

between his rounding and mine for example, is that Phil's tush stays out....saw that right away.

You might find this article interesting. This compares backswing movements of tour players and shows differences between "Long hitters" vs "Accuracy players". Talks about your man DJ Trahan too.

I was a little encouraged after reading this as he mentions that some of the long hitters make a "rising up" / upload as they complete the backswing. The other thing was that the majority of the tour players rotate and laterally move their heads slightly to the right. The biggest hitters do it the most. Contrary to the old school teaching that the "head stays still"....doing this limits the turn.

Kevin
"A Blueprint For Golf Excellence"

is ranked 37th in driving distance on tour at 294.3 average. Not bad.

I don't think that there is any doubt that Trahan's limited turn no twist swing is easy on the back. The old man was ready to quit the game due to back pain before he came up with it. The thing is that his back pain may well have been caused by improper turning mechanics to start with. So limiting the movement makes it easier to do? I really don't know... I do know that Don's philosophy is simply to move up to shorter tees to keep the game fun as he loses distance. Nothing wrong with that either I guess!

The Trahan material mentions that there are a number of very young players with serious back pain from the rotary swing mechanics that they are being taught. I think this speaks to Kelvin's mentioning that tour players do the correct movements naturally while the rest of us don't. So these kids with back pain are probably not being taught the correct way to move...

Regards, Herbert

February 26th, 2011, 7:02 pm #5

seem like nonsense. Like McIrishman said Phil's hips did not move towards the ball so the rounding seems to not be from the lower back.

Peter
His head retreats from the ball almost a foot.

February 27th, 2011, 1:44 am #6

many tour pros head moves off the ball. The longer the hitter the more they move off the ball.

Kevin

February 27th, 2011, 4:20 am #7

His head retreats from the ball almost a foot.

His head is actually closer to the ball if anything. His trail shoulder might also be closer the ball. Pritchard's analysis is absurd imho. Phil does not stand up or move away from the ball 7 inches. His shoulders are a little open so that takes up the slack in the lead arm clubshaft straightening from his address position. Really the video seems to be absolute silliness delivered with in a rather authoritative and solemn manner. Nothing like making a complete *** of yourself on the internet! LOL works for me!

Regards, Herbert

February 27th, 2011, 1:33 pm #8

I am not real good at breaking down video or frame by frames of the golf swing. But... looking at the two pics here - what does it mean if you look at the FRONT of Phil (his stomach). Look at the first pic, and then the second one. A definite difference - much more forward bend on the first. Does that mean he is indeed "standing up"?

February 27th, 2011, 4:12 pm #9

Good point. I say that he is changing his lower spine to be more upright because he is curving his back. This is something that seems to come naturally to some people like Kevin, Jack Nicklaus, Phil and me. Others like Dustin Johnson, Ben Hogan and Moe Norman to name a few do not round their backs like that. I am trying to change to be like Moe in this area but it is extremely difficult to do. I really don't know if it affects accuracy or not. I hope that it does and I can learn to keep my lower back arched or curved in through the ball and start hitting it straighter with no back pain!

Regards, Herbert

February 27th, 2011, 4:28 pm #10

was Peter's comment that it may lead to back problems down the line. I can hit the ball with this action:

Or this action:

And as posted recently, still have my hips moving toward the ball a lot on driver. If you've hit enough shots, your system knows what it needs to do to hit the ball and it makes the adjustments on the fly, if other Absolutes are in place. It just takes time to develop the new motor neural pathways so that the new movements show up all the time.

BUT, the big difference is way less lower back pain after training / swinging...so I keep on.

Kevin