Moe interview

Moe interview

April 24th, 2010, 1:24 am #1

I watched this youtube video featuring a radio interview with Moe in 1963. It is accompanied by swing sequence photos of Moe from 1959. It is interesting to see the differences in his early swing. But most fascinating is how Moe sounds in the interview. He sounds normal, intelligent, not all all as he seemed in some of the later videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Xyy-5A ... re=related

April 24th, 2010, 6:31 am #2

To me Moe does not sound different than he did in a number of later interviews including the biographical one made just before he was admitted to the hall of fame. Of course his demonstrations are different - He's 'on stage'. I've seen no late interview that had such a wide range of questions (even though they were still all golf related most later interviews like on The Golf Channel only address Moe's swing).

Peter

April 24th, 2010, 11:01 am #3

I watched this youtube video featuring a radio interview with Moe in 1963. It is accompanied by swing sequence photos of Moe from 1959. It is interesting to see the differences in his early swing. But most fascinating is how Moe sounds in the interview. He sounds normal, intelligent, not all all as he seemed in some of the later videos.

Thanks for posting the link.

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

April 24th, 2010, 12:02 pm #4

Watching lots of Moe youtube videos on Moe. This is an excellent link to a taped demonstration Moe gave with Craig Shankland moderating, a series of six:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hogansquest ... 9l0lr019nc

Most interesting to me is to hear Moe's mindset - " I see only good things, no bad....There are no bogey's in my bag..just pars, birdies and eagles....I am the only one that hits on a straight line through the golf course...If there was ever a tournament at midnight, I'd be the only one at par, I'd know right where to walk ."

And of course there are the many Bertholy-isms sprinkled throughout the demo...and he does the exaggerated moves that define his swing. Interesting too that in this series he uses the palm trail hand grip and tells you why he likes it so much...but no Natural Golf hat, logo, etc...just Titleist.

Last edited by mcirishman57 on April 24th, 2010, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 24th, 2010, 12:24 pm #5

Yeah, there sure are a lot of interesting videos of Moe on there. Did you notice in the interview I posted that he describes the grip as left hand in the palm-fingers, right hand in the fingers? I've come to the conclusion that he changed a lot of things in his swing over the years. Maybe the only constant was the single axis.

April 24th, 2010, 1:25 pm #6

Watching lots of Moe youtube videos on Moe. This is an excellent link to a taped demonstration Moe gave with Craig Shankland moderating, a series of six:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hogansquest ... 9l0lr019nc

Most interesting to me is to hear Moe's mindset - " I see only good things, no bad....There are no bogey's in my bag..just pars, birdies and eagles....I am the only one that hits on a straight line through the golf course...If there was ever a tournament at midnight, I'd be the only one at par, I'd know right where to walk ."

And of course there are the many Bertholy-isms sprinkled throughout the demo...and he does the exaggerated moves that define his swing. Interesting too that in this series he uses the palm trail hand grip and tells you why he likes it so much...but no Natural Golf hat, logo, etc...just Titleist.

That was a great set of videos.

It seems to me that Moe was obsessed with accuracy and as time went on his swing changes were made for greater accuracy, even if distance was reduced. I think the NG company is the only current SA teaching outfit that acknowledges the pros and cons of the various ways to hold the club. They list three ways. One way gives distance at the expense of accuracy. One does the opposite, and one is in between.

All of the other teachers have "their" way and can point to a time in Moe's career when he did it their way. And they can make good cases for the benefits of same. My view is that each hold can work but requires certain other adjustments to make a good package. And their are definite biases towards accuracy or distance in the different packages.

His swing sure changed a lot between the 1950's-60's and 1990's. It would have been great if Moe had ever gone through his swing evolution with an interviewer.

Very interesting stuff.

-Don

April 24th, 2010, 2:09 pm #7

Thanks for that!
Let's see;
Hip sway on backswing.
Strong lead hand grip with 3 knuckles showing.
Trail hand grip in the fingers.
Best ball striker in the world 'Pipeline Moe'.

I think this interview and the pictures which have been discussed here in the past are proof that the magic is in the golfer not so much in the method...

Regards, Herbert

April 25th, 2010, 5:32 am #8

That was a great set of videos.

It seems to me that Moe was obsessed with accuracy and as time went on his swing changes were made for greater accuracy, even if distance was reduced. I think the NG company is the only current SA teaching outfit that acknowledges the pros and cons of the various ways to hold the club. They list three ways. One way gives distance at the expense of accuracy. One does the opposite, and one is in between.

All of the other teachers have "their" way and can point to a time in Moe's career when he did it their way. And they can make good cases for the benefits of same. My view is that each hold can work but requires certain other adjustments to make a good package. And their are definite biases towards accuracy or distance in the different packages.

His swing sure changed a lot between the 1950's-60's and 1990's. It would have been great if Moe had ever gone through his swing evolution with an interviewer.

Very interesting stuff.

-Don
NG does that now then that is a change - they never did in 3 generations of past instructional material I have from them. JK with his LPG kit was the only one I know of that did that.

Peter

April 25th, 2010, 12:13 pm #9

Yeah, there sure are a lot of interesting videos of Moe on there. Did you notice in the interview I posted that he describes the grip as left hand in the palm-fingers, right hand in the fingers? I've come to the conclusion that he changed a lot of things in his swing over the years. Maybe the only constant was the single axis.
and that's what Bertholy would say too! Grip is not fundamental. Pick one, make sure it is solid, and PLAY with it.

Regarding Natural Golf - or any developer swing system it always gets me that they point to their pro and say see he does it, therefore it must be! Sometimes the pro does do what they teach, but often not. Moe often said he would never teach someone to swing like he did...

Listening to Moe you can get a sense for his genius was as much his mind and heart as it was in his striking ability and the way he choose to swing.

April 25th, 2010, 12:43 pm #10

NG does that now then that is a change - they never did in 3 generations of past instructional material I have from them. JK with his LPG kit was the only one I know of that did that.

Peter
http://moenormangolfacademy.org/instruc ... -hold.aspx