Moe and Me soon to be released.

Moe and Me soon to be released.

March 6th, 2012, 11:59 am #1

I wasn't aware of this book but looked it up and it looks to be true. This of course is for the Moe-holics,my self included.

Release date is April 1, 2012

Product Description
Autographed by author Lorne Rubenstein. Limitted quantity. Moe & Me: Encounters with Moe Norman, Golf's Mysterious Genius. Pre - order now.

Spotlighting Moe Norman, a golfer admired by Tiger Woods himself, this memoir by a sportswriter who knew Moe Norman for 40 years details Moe's unique and controversial life. The record investigates how, despite winning almost every title in Canada and having his name celebrated in golf circles around the globe, Norman failed to make a mark in the wider world of golf yet still referred to himself as the happiest guy on two feet. His uncommon swing, mannerisms, and lifestyle are explored, illustrating how he played very quickly, never took a practice swing, often repeated phrases when talking, and lived in motel rooms most of his life. Normans crippling insecurity and introversion are revealed, documenting how these conditions kept him from publicly succeeding at the highest levels of play. Penned by a sports journalist who knew the subject for 40 years, this study examines Moe Normans utterly exceptional technique, his character, how he lived his life well in spite of his significant handicaps, and what this most sensitive and peculiar man meant to those who knew him.

http://www.amazon.com/Moe-Me-Encounters ... 1770410538

March 8th, 2012, 1:26 pm #2

Cheers,Bob
F47 - USA

Regards,
Bob

March 8th, 2012, 1:57 pm #3

I wasn't aware of this book but looked it up and it looks to be true. This of course is for the Moe-holics,my self included.

Product Description
Autographed by author Lorne Rubenstein. Limitted quantity. Moe & Me: Encounters with Moe Norman, Golf's Mysterious Genius. Pre - order now.

Spotlighting Moe Norman, a golfer admired by Tiger Woods himself, this memoir by a sportswriter who knew Moe Norman for 40 years details Moe's unique and controversial life. The record investigates how, despite winning almost every title in Canada and having his name celebrated in golf circles around the globe, Norman failed to make a mark in the wider world of golf yet still referred to himself as the happiest guy on two feet. His uncommon swing, mannerisms, and lifestyle are explored, illustrating how he played very quickly, never took a practice swing, often repeated phrases when talking, and lived in motel rooms most of his life. Normans crippling insecurity and introversion are revealed, documenting how these conditions kept him from publicly succeeding at the highest levels of play. Penned by a sports journalist who knew the subject for 40 years, this study examines Moe Normans utterly exceptional technique, his character, how he lived his life well in spite of his significant handicaps, and what this most sensitive and peculiar man meant to those who knew him.

I can't help but wonder if there's anything new in it. I'm not knocking Lorne Rubenstein but there are quite a few people who claim to have known Moe well over the years and so many stories have been told. Almost hard to believe there could be more. I also wonder why there are used copies for sale if it hasn't been released yet. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Being a Moe fan I will probably order one.

March 8th, 2012, 2:52 pm #4

Cheers,Bob
F47 - USA

I just per-ordered my copy this morning.

March 8th, 2012, 11:59 pm #5

Product Description

In this months Golf Digest, Hank tells how he changed Tiger's grip to be "more in the palm" and that he drew his inspiration from Moe Norman...he also makes a comment that Moe was nev er really accepted on tour "because of his autism". Sheeessssh.

We should all write GD and Haney and set em straight...Moe was not autistic.

Kevin
The Authentic Golfer
A Blueprint For Golf Excellence
The MGS Approach
The MGS Forum

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

March 9th, 2012, 12:57 am #6

Moe was a savant which was probably misunderstood as autistic.

March 9th, 2012, 1:07 am #7

In this months Golf Digest, Hank tells how he changed Tiger's grip to be "more in the palm" and that he drew his inspiration from Moe Norman...he also makes a comment that Moe was nev er really accepted on tour "because of his autism". Sheeessssh.

Kevin
The Authentic Golfer
The MGS Approach
The MGS Forum

How can you be so sure, Kevin? It's obvious that he had some kind of mental or emotional issues. I may be wrong but I don't think he was ever medically/psychologically evaluated to determine what kind of problems he really had. But I truly believe that he had some problems. Whether autistic to some degree or whether it was a result of his childhood accident or whatever, he had issues which prevented him from socially interacting in a normal way in my opinion. And it's really too bad. His story, while one of great achievement, is also one of heartbreaking sadness. I really feel for Moe and while he obviously had learned to be content with himself who cannot wonder just how much golf history might be different had he been able to deal with society in a more normal, acceptable way. But then again, if so, would he have still been the Moe that we have all come to love?

March 9th, 2012, 9:47 am #8

Kevin
The Authentic Golfer
The MGS Approach
The MGS Forum

certainly had many autistic characteristics.

About autism.

Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior.

Sounds like Moe.

Compulsive behavior is intended and appears to follow rules, such as arranging objects in stacks or lines.

Definitely Moe.

Sameness is resistance to change; for example, insisting that the furniture not be moved or refusing to be interrupted.

Definitely Moe.

Ritualistic behavior involves an unvarying pattern of daily activities, such as an unchanging menu or a dressing ritual. This is closely associated with sameness and an independent validation has suggested combining the two factors.

Moe was known to drive the same route, stay in the same hotels, eat in the same resturants, on his way back and forth from Florida for over 40 years. He arrived almost to the minute at the golf course every day, ate the same meal, wore the same clothing, for year after year after year.

Restricted behavior is limited in focus, interest, or activity, such as preoccupation with a single television program, toy, or game.

An estimated 0.5% to 10% of individuals with ASD show unusual abilities, ranging from splinter skills such as the memorization of trivia to the extraordinarily rare talents of prodigious autistic savants.

Sounds like Moe to me

I think from what I have read about Autism that no two cases are identical. It could be that Moe was only slightly affected from it. Could be that there are other reasons that he acted the way he did, but I would not completely rule out the chance that he as slightly autistic. I would also not declare him to have been autistic, especially since to my knowledge no doctor examined and declared him to be autisic. That of course would also not be final proof. Sometimes I have heard that doctors are also wrong.

Ham

March 9th, 2012, 11:13 am #9

Product Description

Previous estimated arrival date: April 05, 2012 - April 09, 2012 New estimated arrival date: March 15, 2012

March 9th, 2012, 6:00 pm #10

Kevin
The Authentic Golfer
The MGS Approach
The MGS Forum

If Moe was autistic he was a great golfer.
If Moe was not autistic he was a great golfer.

Meh.