Moan and groan

Moan and groan

December 31st, 2008, 4:45 pm #1

I think that it might be interesting for folks to describe some of the holes at courses where they play often... What do you think?

Here is my attempt to describe one of my favorite holes:

I play a nearby course because it is really cheap. It is a rather short course at 6000 yards making it rather easy Or not!
Here is a typical example of how things can go out there. Number 12 is a really short par 4 of 334 yards. Looks like an easy hole on paper? It is a dogleg left with OB left and OB along the right. After about 200 yards the hole slopes severely to the right and any ball hit short of the green will often roll OB. LOL, I have seen foursomes of golfers who dont know the course stand on the tee and blast 4 drives straight out and OB into the ravine. There is about a 10 foot wide landing are for me to successfully hit driver if I can draw it enough. A little left and I am in the trees or OB and a little right and the ball rolls down the hill on the bare ground and OB. LOL I have seen several less then stellar golfers hit a second shot after a short tee shot right down the middle but low and short with perfect satisfaction until I tell them that the shot is OB. Usually they don't believe me until they walk up the hill a bit and notice that there is no ball anywhere in the fairway.

The real difficulty with the place is that it has a mix of bent grass and kikuyu grass. On this particular hole the kikuyu is all along the left side above the hole and bent or hard pan is all along the right. The green is fairly long and slopes severely to the right with a little ribbon of a sand trap short and right.

I played this hole last weekend like this:
I teed off with a five iron and hit a nice shot that stopped right next to it's pitch mark about 175 yards from the back left pin location. The pin was sticking out of the side of the hill maybe 10 feet from the fringe so I knew that I had to keep my second right of the hole to have any hope of par. The problem is that a little too far right and the ball will skitter off OB. Well, I hit another nice clean shot but I pulled it and it hit the kikuyu above the hole and stopped on a flat spot about 20 feet left of the green and maybe 20 feet short of the hole. So I short sided myself! Now I want to get the ball close to the hole but I know that it is better to hit it hard enough and roll it off the green then to leave it short. I hit a nice soft pitch shot that landed about 6 inches short of where I was aiming. It hit the tall kikuyu grass and popped straight up in the air and just trickled onto the kikuyu fringe. Oops, no hope now except to hit the pin with a putt. I hit a good putt that just got out of the fringe and rolled only about 10 past the hole just burning the edge of the cup. I hit a nice putt back up the hill on the next one and it burned the edge of the cup and stopped about 2 feet past the hole. LOL, any lack of nerve on this putt and I am putting back up the hill again! I am pretty good at those though and I rammed it right into the back of the cup for a nice smooth double bogey. Really I hit every shot well for somebody of my level but just not good enough. On some easy courses that I play once in while I would have made 4 pretty easily after the first two shots with 5 at the worst. That's why I love playing Spring Hills it is always interesting!

Regards, Herbert

December 31st, 2008, 5:48 pm #2

6500 yards from the whites and about 6700 from the blues.
For tournaments theY can strecth the blues on every hole
back and get close to 7000 yds.
The course is a bit unusal in that it is both easy and hard.
Some of the holes have steep banks along the fairways,
so you can spray the ball to the right or left,and it will
hit the bank and roll right back into the fairway.

Other holes are tight, and if you sPray the ball even a
little, you have no chance of pitching it back in the fairway.
Those shots are just plain gone- it slopes steeply down into
the woods just off the fairway. Not only can you not play
a recovery shot but your ball is gone forever- at least
until a proffessional golfball hunter like me risks life
and limb to hike down the severe slope and retreave it.

The other difficult thing about Innsbruck is the putting.
Sometimes the ball will go just the oppisite of what
everyone would think. Instead of taking the break it should.
it will turn toward the slope of the mountain.
I have played the course many times and i continue to miss putts
because i can not belive the ball goes the way it does!

The 7th hole is near my house a par 5 497 yards- so really
a glorifided par 4.
I had a double eagle there last year, and have been on
the green in two countless times, only to three putt
for par. One time i five putted for a double, after on
in two.
There are no really short par 3's, but once again if you
spray the ball a little, it's gone.
On other courses such misses might miss the green, but are
still playable.

So some holes you get a break some are just not fair,
at least for a average golfer and putting is a nightmare.
Fast and immposible breaks and some holes if the flag
is in a certain place, you better make the putt
or the ball will roll off the green, as much as 20 yards away.
You don't have to hit the ball long- just very straight
but then you have to deal with the greens from hell!

JC

December 31st, 2008, 8:25 pm #3

Very often when watching the pros on TV on a particular hole the commentator will say something to the effect that 'Everybody who has had this putt has missed it to the left.'
LOL, if the best green readers in the world can get fooled by a putt what chance do we have?

My course is the same as yours in this area. The putts often break the oppsoite of what it looks like they should. This gives me a lot of grief even though I sometimes see breaks better then my friends do. One fellow sometimes starts putts 4 or 5 feet on the wrong side of the hole! He is very puzzled when the ball breaks even further away from the hole! Usually he will curse the stupid course at that point.

What bothers me is that I often cannot remember the way the putts break even though I have played the course so many times. I know that I have had the same putt a lot of times but I cannot remember if went right or left. I need to work on figuring out how to remember which way the ball goes on different putts to different pin placements.

Regards, Herbert

January 1st, 2009, 3:07 am #4

In league play, we play on Thursdays and the pins are, usually, set on Wednesdays. I live on the course, and I enjoy walking around and putting, and I draw a map of each hole from two feet, like just a little curling line of how the ball will go to the hole from four directions. I strike the ball hard to off-set as much break as I can, and let it roll by the hole. I cannot remember how each hole breaks, just like Herbert!! With this simple exercise I have had as few as four putts per nine. Works for me.

January 1st, 2009, 3:13 am #5

Very often when watching the pros on TV on a particular hole the commentator will say something to the effect that 'Everybody who has had this putt has missed it to the left.'
LOL, if the best green readers in the world can get fooled by a putt what chance do we have?

My course is the same as yours in this area. The putts often break the oppsoite of what it looks like they should. This gives me a lot of grief even though I sometimes see breaks better then my friends do. One fellow sometimes starts putts 4 or 5 feet on the wrong side of the hole! He is very puzzled when the ball breaks even further away from the hole! Usually he will curse the stupid course at that point.

What bothers me is that I often cannot remember the way the putts break even though I have played the course so many times. I know that I have had the same putt a lot of times but I cannot remember if went right or left. I need to work on figuring out how to remember which way the ball goes on different putts to different pin placements.

Regards, Herbert
the same course all the time... why not chart the greens & the breaks?

January 1st, 2009, 7:34 am #6

I am not sure exactly how I would go about doing that though. I guess I could keep some sort of note book with a page for each hole and then try to mark the the pin placement and the break for the putts that I hit or saw. I don't think that I would be keep up with something like that though as I like to play fast and writing stuff down is not really part of what I want to be doing on the course.

When I am done playing a round of golf I can usually remember every shot that I hit and what sort of shot that it was allowing me to chart my game if I want to. I cannot remember the putts though so I could not chart the putts after the fact. I remember reading somewhere that Jack Nicklaus could often remember putts on a green that he had hit several years previously giving him a big advantage in green reading. It would be nice to be able to do that!

Maybe it would be better to go out when nobody is around and roll balls all over the greens to try to figure things out and make some sort of notes or drawings. Say, have you ever done this sort of thing yourself?

Regards, Herbert

January 1st, 2009, 2:28 pm #7

January 1st, 2009, 3:41 pm #8

I am not sure exactly how I would go about doing that though. I guess I could keep some sort of note book with a page for each hole and then try to mark the the pin placement and the break for the putts that I hit or saw. I don't think that I would be keep up with something like that though as I like to play fast and writing stuff down is not really part of what I want to be doing on the course.

When I am done playing a round of golf I can usually remember every shot that I hit and what sort of shot that it was allowing me to chart my game if I want to. I cannot remember the putts though so I could not chart the putts after the fact. I remember reading somewhere that Jack Nicklaus could often remember putts on a green that he had hit several years previously giving him a big advantage in green reading. It would be nice to be able to do that!

Maybe it would be better to go out when nobody is around and roll balls all over the greens to try to figure things out and make some sort of notes or drawings. Say, have you ever done this sort of thing yourself?

Regards, Herbert
I have not. I play too many different courses to make it worthwile. Although, even if I did play one course, say 90% of the time, I still don't think I would do it.

I would think that if I did play the same course over and over, that eventually I would start to remember the breaks of the greens.