Minimalist Golf Swing (MGS) Over Two Weeks

Minimalist Golf Swing (MGS) Over Two Weeks

October 3rd, 2011, 8:40 pm #1

Because there are many questions about this and lots of interest, I compiled a video of four swings made over the the last two weeks, both down line and face on. I left a couple of the clips untrimmed so you could watch me attempt to get into ( and stay in ) the MGS set up. There have been some questions and comments about SA Aligned vs non SA aligned and in these clips you will note that earlier on I am more SA aligned , and in the last most recent clip I am not so much, though still very far away from MGS direction of handle pointing to bottom of zipper:

The amazing thing to me is I can hit the ball about the same with either set up. Here is the full video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcaQiicgRHw

Her one comment about my swing was after I make the forward bend, then JUST TWIST the torso closed. You can see in the clips how I also tilt away from the target more than I should. Just having the twist will have my shoulders not as angled.

Mrs. Kanwar is back in India now and is very busy and still getting over jet lag. She has read all the threads relating to MGS and even took time to post a reply, but she took over an hour to post it and she timed out so when she hit the post button it was gone! ( been there done that ) She told me she would re-post, time permitting.

Oh yeah one other thing I have been meaning to mention. A good visual cue to tell if you are set right for MGS is this. When you line up parallel/square to the target line to address the ball..feet,hips, shoulders i.e. the normal way... if you were to look directly left over your lead shoulder your gaze would be looking LEFT of the target. With MGS set with the torseo twist after you are finsher if you look over your left/lead shoulder, your gaze is right at the target!

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!
Last edited by mcirishman57 on October 3rd, 2011, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 4th, 2011, 12:22 am #2

It seems like several of the hits are fat? Is that just a function of long grass?

October 4th, 2011, 1:51 am #3

I set the Birdie balls down gently on the grass, and then set the bottom of the arc in my set up, and then hit. The club cuts a lot of grass coming through to impact. Notice in the second swing, you cant even see the tops of my shoes or the club head as it sets behind the ball ! If you look closely in the area behind the ball in the third DL swing, you can see the swatch of grass that has been cut from previous shots, and the birdie ball sitting up higher on the grass ahead of the swatch for the next shot:

With the long grass it is really easy to see the inside path the club is taking using this swing. When swinging my over speed trainer in my back yard where the grass is 3 inches long now, I just cut a nice inside swatch down to the ground and then go to another area.

Don't get me wrong, I still have a fat boy lurking in the shadows every now and then waiting to get me , but not so much as before. With MGS, the contact is very consistent, and the divots when hit with real balls, are very wispy, unless I am hitting a shot where I have moved the ball back in my stance. Then the divot is more traditional depth / looking.

We have had a record amount of rain here in our area - record as in EVER. Now it is too wet to even get into the park at all and our course, usually the only one open when all others are closed, was closed Sat and Sun.

So yesterday I took a piece of carpet to the parking lot, and hit balls off of it. I love them dang birdie balls!

Kevin

Last edited by mcirishman57 on October 4th, 2011, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 4th, 2011, 12:47 pm #4

Because there are many questions about this and lots of interest, I compiled a video of four swings made over the the last two weeks, both down line and face on. I left a couple of the clips untrimmed so you could watch me attempt to get into ( and stay in ) the MGS set up. There have been some questions and comments about SA Aligned vs non SA aligned and in these clips you will note that earlier on I am more SA aligned , and in the last most recent clip I am not so much, though still very far away from MGS direction of handle pointing to bottom of zipper:

The amazing thing to me is I can hit the ball about the same with either set up. Here is the full video link:

Her one comment about my swing was after I make the forward bend, then JUST TWIST the torso closed. You can see in the clips how I also tilt away from the target more than I should. Just having the twist will have my shoulders not as angled.

Mrs. Kanwar is back in India now and is very busy and still getting over jet lag. She has read all the threads relating to MGS and even took time to post a reply, but she took over an hour to post it and she timed out so when she hit the post button it was gone! ( been there done that ) She told me she would re-post, time permitting.

Oh yeah one other thing I have been meaning to mention. A good visual cue to tell if you are set right for MGS is this. When you line up parallel/square to the target line to address the ball..feet,hips, shoulders i.e. the normal way... if you were to look directly left over your lead shoulder your gaze would be looking LEFT of the target. With MGS set with the torseo twist after you are finsher if you look over your left/lead shoulder, your gaze is right at the target!

Kevin

Usually when that happens you can hit the back button and recover. LOL when I make a particularly brilliant post of some length I usually copy it before posting in case something goes wrong like that. Then I can just start over and paste the nonsense in to an empty posting box.

Regards, Herbert

October 4th, 2011, 6:01 pm #5

Kevin

My high [H/cap] history of SA golf is that of a Hitter (with active action of the Rt.Hand/Arm in the F/swg). I'm now working hard to convert to MGS golf. Ive trouble resolving MGS as either a Swingers action or that of a Hitters. If that of a swinger, in the F/swg, one would be pulling the clubshaft down towards the ball using the left arm/hand [rather than merely allowing the clubshaft to fall back down]. Since were supposively not doing that, does the Rt.Hand/Arm have any active input? If not, where does any power or clubhead speed come from? My ball contact is good, but I've lost 10-15 yds. per club.

Any hints from our gurus [Kevin, rofox, Satthms, etc.] to help convert me into properly implementing MGS and make it work? So far, it looks very promising - just some annoying Pulls.
Bill

October 4th, 2011, 6:57 pm #6

Kevin

I look forward to Mrs. Kanwan's post. Kevin and a lot of you guys have had good success with MGS.

I did have a little better results yesterday at the range. Now my busy time at work is winding down I will have a little more time to give it a try. After some E-mails with Kevin I think I was trying to swing to hard. I need to just let the swing happen with gravity a little more. When I have done that I have hit some good shots.

October 4th, 2011, 7:24 pm #7

she said the last clip is the cloest to MGS...but still some work. She noted:

Hands to far from body - she says 5-6 inches.

Hands to high - LOL she said I should have named the video Slow MOE - becasue of the SA alingment of my trail arm. She says in her email:
"....No right arm on shaft plane when seen down the line is too high for a right arm, because left arm has to be radius of swing at impact, right arm would be radius in your Moe-style, too-high right arm impact"
Also she wrote about grip set up, hips etc:
"I only suggested grip when I first wrote the book, I really don't care about the grip. And one day I'll explain why on your forum. Use any grip, if you're bulky in the chest/stomach area you have to use a combination of left arm on top of chest and enough forward bend that your left arm, as it rises up the chest MGS-style, makes a pure adduction with NO medial rotation

You left-over-from previous swing hip turn is much less, but you have to DO NOTHIN during the backswing as regards the body. Feel the left arm is isolated from the entire rest of the body, and is the only thing moving during the backswing. A very LIGHT, SOFT touch in holding the club will help isolate it."
So that's the latest.

October 4th, 2011, 7:36 pm #8

Kevin

McIrishman,

I hope you don't mind me continuing to post in your threads but it didn't seem worth starting something entirely new. I have been working on this swing now for a little over 2 weeks now (my golf "rebirth" that I posted earlier was 3 Saturdays ago). I have to say, I am starting to believe that this is the real deal.

Like Herbert, I have had epiphany after epiphany with my swing--feeling sure that this time was "for real"--only to have it fall flat within a range session. Truth be told, I keep expecting the wheels to fall off, yet they don't. I have never had continued success like this swing has brought. Something is different. I think it might be due to the fact that the swing is really easy to "reset", for lack of a better term.

In any case, I wanted to share my recent range experiences and compare notes on a few things. I hit approximately 150 balls yesterday and today and jotted a few things down. (When I go to the range, I "play" a pretend round of golf in my head, so I'm hitting short irons a little more often than long irons, driver more often than 3 wood.) Of the 150 shots, about 115 of them were within 10 yards of where I was aiming. Of the remaining 40, about 25 were offline to the left, 10 to the right and there were 5 flubs (interestingly all but one was with the 3 wood). This is a radical departure from a usual range session where I would, on a good day, hit 50% within 10 yards of where I was aiming. All told, out of the 150 balls there were 2 that very likely would have been O.B. left on the average course.

Distance also appears to have improved dramatically as well. It's hard to tell because I am on a new range where I don't have the experience to know where I used to hit the ball but my drives were consistently flying the 250 yard fence by a good 10-15 yards. Plus, the ball flight was a lot lower than I am used to seeing. Irons, it seems like I gained about 10 yards nearly across the board. My weight shift is also a night and day difference--I end my swing fully on my left side. The few bad shots I hit were because I kept my weight on my right side, I could feel it immediately.

Now to my question...I find the swing to be most powerful and natural when the lead knee makes a fairly pronounced move toward the ball (or even straight down) on the backswing followed by a push into the trail leg on the downswing. I'm curious if you've noticed something similar.

Thanks!

October 4th, 2011, 9:51 pm #9

It seems like several of the hits are fat? Is that just a function of long grass?
PROFESSIONAL GOLFER! CLOSED COURSE. USING VERY PRECISE CONTACT TO AVOID INJURY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dw5zr-4mGQ

Hitting off the deck in my parks parking lot. Just for you Don / Snow.
Last edited by mcirishman57 on October 5th, 2011, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 4th, 2011, 10:11 pm #10

My high [H/cap] history of SA golf is that of a Hitter (with active action of the Rt.Hand/Arm in the F/swg). I'm now working hard to convert to MGS golf. Ive trouble resolving MGS as either a Swingers action or that of a Hitters. If that of a swinger, in the F/swg, one would be pulling the clubshaft down towards the ball using the left arm/hand [rather than merely allowing the clubshaft to fall back down]. Since were supposively not doing that, does the Rt.Hand/Arm have any active input? If not, where does any power or clubhead speed come from? My ball contact is good, but I've lost 10-15 yds. per club.

Any hints from our gurus [Kevin, rofox, Satthms, etc.] to help convert me into properly implementing MGS and make it work? So far, it looks very promising - just some annoying Pulls.
Bill
I wish I was one of the Gurus. I think Kevin is the expert here. But anything advice the helps is good , that is the good thing about the forum.

I have been a hitter a lot of my golfing days also. I have ben through most of the golf methods including NG . and all of the SA methods. So i know where you are comming from.

I am really just getting started myself on the MGS after hearing from Kevin. (and reading about Rofox and others sucess) I do have kevins book and he does know his golf.

I stuggled the first time giving MGS a try I think because I was trying to hard to hit the ball to hard. I have had better success yesterday and even better today trying to let the club fall from the top in more of a Gravity type swing.

In fact I just got back from the range. i only had time to hit a small bucket. But by far my best results. i still have a ways to go for sure. i was hitting my 4 wood really well. (I have not been hitting my fairway woods very well with any type swing this year.) I was hitting shot iron very well, mid irons ok still some of them going right though.
I hit the Driver so so, not near as good as i have been with my old swing though.

One of the thing kevin told me last night in an E-mail was you have to be careful you aren't really going after it with the hitting motion. That also has been one of my Big problems. It is hard to do with the longer clubs when you are use to really hitting the ball hard with the right side. I know it is for me anyway.

I also have wondered where does the power come fron. The frist time or so i tried it I felt like I had no power with MGS. the last two times , and today for sure I am feeling much more power. Just try to let the club fall from the top.
At least that is my take on it . Kevin , or oother may have a better answer for you. L still need to get my Driver dialed in for sure.