McStrickerishman? This is here to stay!

McStrickerishman? This is here to stay!

September 27th, 2011, 3:26 am #1

Well, I finally got Kiran Kanwar's book on the "Minimalist Golf swing", and it didn't reveal that much more than she does on her videos and such, and she and I have had numerous emails and phone conversations about her concepts.

With those in mind, I have been adapting the MGS to my swing with some incredible results. Basically you set up shoulders closed, make no conscious effort to turn more or set the wrists, or complete the back swing with trail arm pull. you just move the lead arm straight back wide and low and when your trail hand is over your trail foot let the lead arm ride up your chest till hands are about shoulder high and then start back down.

Here is a still sequence of my latest video:

And here is the video clip the stills were taken from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsgMBGVIJ94

Fire away boys and girls, this is going to be good. BTW club head speed with 8 iron is 88-90, not too bad. Notice I still hit all the absolutes too. The big thing with this approach...at least for me...repeatable...accurate...repeatable. Did I say accurate and repeatable? The other thing is a lot less stress on both back and my lead knee.

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!
Last edited by mcirishman57 on September 27th, 2011, 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 27th, 2011, 6:35 pm #2

Pics look alot like Mindy Blake with a closed stance!

September 28th, 2011, 1:19 am #3

Well, I finally got Kiran Kanwar's book on the "Minimalist Golf swing", and it didn't reveal that much more than she does on her videos and such, and she and I have had numerous emails and phone conversations about her concepts.

With those in mind, I have been adapting the MGS to my swing with some incredible results. Basically you set up shoulders closed, make no conscious effort to turn more or set the wrists, or complete the back swing with trail arm pull. you just move the lead arm straight back wide and low and when your trail hand is over your trail foot let the lead arm ride up your chest till hands are about shoulder high and then start back down.

Fire away boys and girls, this is going to be good. BTW club head speed with 8 iron is 88-90, not too bad. Notice I still hit all the absolutes too. The big thing with this approach...at least for me...repeatable...accurate...repeatable. Did I say accurate and repeatable? The other thing is a lot less stress on both back and my lead knee.

Kevin

Kevin,

Nice compact swing.Let us know how it works when you play.

Cheers,Bob

KLEX - USA
Regards,
Bob

September 28th, 2011, 1:29 am #4

Pics look alot like Mindy Blake with a closed stance!
that isn't clear because I trimmed the video to save space.

For set up you start with your feet together, hands at body center, and then bend over from the hips. Once bent over, you twist your torso so that your shoulders are closed to the target line. There is a big emphasis on making sure the trail shoulder, is behind AND below the lead shoulder.

Once this set of forward bend and turning of the torso is complete, you set your feet about shoulder with and square to the line. Toes are point 90 degrees, not flared. VERY important is that the arms stay relaxed, and the lead arm stays straight but not stiff.

I have had several customers of mine fiddle with this and they report as nice and easy of an adaptation/implementation as I have experienced.

Her concept of "meaningful acceleration" is really starting to take hold and give me pause. Why the big turn, the high hands? When does acceleration really happen? Thinking it through, I thought of the speed chain, which is used mainly with swings that go from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock. The speed chain is training you for speed in that zone of arm movement

And then Peter has commented several times over the years that tour pros can hit virtually the same club head speed distances from a dead stop at the top as they can making a full windup.

i have even done some reading on *** SHOCK *** "ground reaction force" and body mass at ball type things, since she mentions these in her videos but not her book.

I am finding it delightful in my experience that I am hitting the ball with as much force (and better accuracy) compared to my normal way. But I am having a hard time understanding WHY it works so well, with such a minimal effort. Tonight, on my way to my son's football game, I stopped by my short game area and hit a bag of 60 degree lob wedges. From the back edge of the fairway grass to the pin is 65 yards, and it is about 52 to the front of the green and 80 to the back. I was hitting to the pin with no more than a 730 back swing, and flying it all the way to the back edge with my hands only about 8 o'clock. Stop and drop spin too, and I could flight it high, low just by moving the ball. The best I have hit these little wedge shots all season.

Kevin

September 28th, 2011, 1:33 am #5

Kevin,

Nice compact swing.Let us know how it works when you play.

Cheers,Bob

KLEX - USA
this Saturday! My partner is the guy I lost to in 19 holes in our club championship scratch div
( after giving him a putting lesson the week before - DOH ! )

I'm gonna get these wedges dialed in between now and then and we are gonna make some birdies baby!

Kevin

September 28th, 2011, 2:26 am #6

that isn't clear because I trimmed the video to save space.

For set up you start with your feet together, hands at body center, and then bend over from the hips. Once bent over, you twist your torso so that your shoulders are closed to the target line. There is a big emphasis on making sure the trail shoulder, is behind AND below the lead shoulder.

Once this set of forward bend and turning of the torso is complete, you set your feet about shoulder with and square to the line. Toes are point 90 degrees, not flared. VERY important is that the arms stay relaxed, and the lead arm stays straight but not stiff.

I have had several customers of mine fiddle with this and they report as nice and easy of an adaptation/implementation as I have experienced.

Her concept of "meaningful acceleration" is really starting to take hold and give me pause. Why the big turn, the high hands? When does acceleration really happen? Thinking it through, I thought of the speed chain, which is used mainly with swings that go from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock. The speed chain is training you for speed in that zone of arm movement

And then Peter has commented several times over the years that tour pros can hit virtually the same club head speed distances from a dead stop at the top as they can making a full windup.

i have even done some reading on *** SHOCK *** "ground reaction force" and body mass at ball type things, since she mentions these in her videos but not her book.

I am finding it delightful in my experience that I am hitting the ball with as much force (and better accuracy) compared to my normal way. But I am having a hard time understanding WHY it works so well, with such a minimal effort. Tonight, on my way to my son's football game, I stopped by my short game area and hit a bag of 60 degree lob wedges. From the back edge of the fairway grass to the pin is 65 yards, and it is about 52 to the front of the green and 80 to the back. I was hitting to the pin with no more than a 730 back swing, and flying it all the way to the back edge with my hands only about 8 o'clock. Stop and drop spin too, and I could flight it high, low just by moving the ball. The best I have hit these little wedge shots all season.

Kevin

Kevin I am trying out the minimalist swing. distance is still not so good can you email me I wanted to discuss this with you since Ms Kanwar has left for India.My email is joealmario@yahoo.com .i will send my cell phone # by e mail when I get your e mail address.thanks

September 28th, 2011, 4:44 am #7

Kevin

I hope that you will accept my best wishes for a speedy recovery! I want you to know that I am here for you while you go through this tough time...

Best, Herbert

September 28th, 2011, 10:35 am #8

Kevin

1-Mac on image 2 I notice the club is soooo far inside, wouldnt this require a re-routing, I would think its simpler to come up to the shoulder plane rather than back around, up to plane and then down?

2- Does not look like single axis alignment?

3-The image just before the finish, looks like you stopped rotating? Is it the thought to swing down the line or juust right of the target then straight up the shoulders?

I tried this swing a year ago, and gave it up. failed under preassure.

September 28th, 2011, 1:04 pm #9

Kevin

I love it. To me this is the meat and potatoes of golf.
It's a journey man. Happy trails!

September 28th, 2011, 5:02 pm #10

Kevin

I've been reading this forum since 2003 or so. In that time I've tried just about everything to improve my golf game from Bertholy to Blake, but nothing worked. I've been stuck in the 85-95 range with the possibility of really big numbers if things went haywire.

I played a round of golf last weekend and, after spraying my opening drive 30 yards right of the fairway, I decided to try something new. I read your previous "two swings" post, McIrishman, and decided to give it a whirl. I focused on the little information I remembered like having the right shoulder down and back, only going to shoulder high on the backswing for short irons, keeping tension out of the arms, etc.

Wow. I played the best round of golf of my life bar none. I shot an 89 with 39 putts (didn't make a putt longer than 3 feet all day) and just about every bad thing that could happen did happen. There was no tension and while shots may have been a tad shorter than usual, they were, as a rule, much much straighter. My drives were longer than usual especially given how easily it felt like I was swinging. My misses were entirely to the left, normally pulled maybe 10 yards or less. If I really tried to hit it hard it would go further left with a slight draw. I don't know if that's because my ball placement was too forward as I haven't had time for more than one range session.

I never post here because I've never found anything that changed my game like I feel this has. Like McIrishman said, I have no idea why the heck it works. All I know is that I feel like my golf game has been reborn. I can't wait to see how much I can improve upon this and what it will do to how I play going forward.