McIrishman...thank you!

McIrishman...thank you!

September 6th, 2011, 7:43 pm #1

For the most inspiring post I have ever seen on any internet forum.

I believe in simplicity. I teach simplicity. My students want simplicity. I refuse to join the chorus of ridulous concepts like swing plane and lag. Not they are not important and at some point in our teaching we may need to dwell on it, and worthy of discussion from a purely intellectual standpoint, but if we are good teachers, the student will achieve these on his own. The minute you bring up plane or lag, you run the risk of fixating the student on position. And once the student becomes fixated on position, we lose flow, we introduce a virus into the processor, and it is very difficult to wean the student from this thought process. I have been there, don't ever want to go back down that road, and if I can spare my students this perilous detour, I am doing my job well.

Your "Two Swings" post has inspired me and I have read it over ten times. First, it shows an open mindedness and maturity in your approach to golf. You embrace change and are open to other views, as compared to so many who feel this need to guard sacred theories. They are only protecting themelves and their own needs, there are a lot of people in golf with agendas, and a lot of them frankly need help, with all their silly dogmatism. Secondly, your pictures and descriptions of this improved swing of yours, well anyone could understand it and implement it immediately. Your language is concise and not condescending. You do not use silly engineering terms and abstractions, all these do is try to make the writer seem more intelligent, you do not rely on this, because you offer amazing substance in this post. Substance that transcends the need for silly lingo. It is the type of thing you could take to the range immediately and really work on, without a lot of extraneous thoughts. Thirdly, from a technical sense, I applaud your emphasis on the setup. This is very much the setup I embrace. Setup is 90% of the game, and the way you turned your head and closed your stance, makes it very difficult to swing over the top and the proper swing plane becomes incredibly easy to visualize and feel, without even knowing what a swing plane is.

Every so often you come across something and see amazing genius in the face of utter simplicity. Thank you for what you have written, it has inspired me, and you should share this on other forums, goodness would it ever be appreciated and enhance your credibility as someone who wants others to be better.

God bless you!

Sally

September 6th, 2011, 11:29 pm #2

A Great post !!

September 7th, 2011, 3:07 am #3

I believe in simplicity. I teach simplicity. My students want simplicity. I refuse to join the chorus of ridulous concepts like swing plane and lag. Not they are not important and at some point in our teaching we may need to dwell on it, and worthy of discussion from a purely intellectual standpoint, but if we are good teachers, the student will achieve these on his own. The minute you bring up plane or lag, you run the risk of fixating the student on position. And once the student becomes fixated on position, we lose flow, we introduce a virus into the processor, and it is very difficult to wean the student from this thought process. I have been there, don't ever want to go back down that road, and if I can spare my students this perilous detour, I am doing my job well.

Your "Two Swings" post has inspired me and I have read it over ten times. First, it shows an open mindedness and maturity in your approach to golf. You embrace change and are open to other views, as compared to so many who feel this need to guard sacred theories. They are only protecting themelves and their own needs, there are a lot of people in golf with agendas, and a lot of them frankly need help, with all their silly dogmatism. Secondly, your pictures and descriptions of this improved swing of yours, well anyone could understand it and implement it immediately. Your language is concise and not condescending. You do not use silly engineering terms and abstractions, all these do is try to make the writer seem more intelligent, you do not rely on this, because you offer amazing substance in this post. Substance that transcends the need for silly lingo. It is the type of thing you could take to the range immediately and really work on, without a lot of extraneous thoughts. Thirdly, from a technical sense, I applaud your emphasis on the setup. This is very much the setup I embrace. Setup is 90% of the game, and the way you turned your head and closed your stance, makes it very difficult to swing over the top and the proper swing plane becomes incredibly easy to visualize and feel, without even knowing what a swing plane is.

Every so often you come across something and see amazing genius in the face of utter simplicity. Thank you for what you have written, it has inspired me, and you should share this on other forums, goodness would it ever be appreciated and enhance your credibility as someone who wants others to be better.

God bless you!

Sally
then you know I can be a real "pisser" sometimes and UN-yileding in my dogmatism on certain points. BUT, as you have correctly discerned, I am open to what works. Different people approach things differently. I am a learn by doing, dive right in, keep it simple type person. Others, are not so. They approach things from an analytical mindset and are wired to know why things work the way they do, and they are hindered from learning when their teacher tells them to "quit worrying about how and why" just "keep it simple". They can't keep it simple, they are wired to know why. Either way can get the job done, and either approach will work.

But one thing with learning a motor skill that must be done no matter how your brain is wired, and that is you must do the motor activity. That is the only to learn it. Everyone, whether the "feel/simple" player or analytical Golfing Machine fanatic - they all must do the motor activity for it to take...that is what is the most overlooked aspect of golf instruction and what made Paul Bertholy a genius. We learn by doing, whether we take the simple approach or the analytical approach.

You say many things which, if you hang around here long enough you would know I heartily agree with. I think sound golf instruction that REALLY works has been for the most part hijacked by the PGA and golf instruction elite. If these folks were held by the same standards of performance that other businesses are, they would be run out of town and out of business, even sued in short order! The words and terminology are so vague and nebulous that often the same word or concept can mean totally different things to two different golfers. "Release" is my favorite...what the heck is that anyway?

There is a place for fixating on "position", lag, transition etc. Remember the way we learned to tie our shoes? We proceeded very slowly first, learning each position and step a piece at a time, but gradually we blended them all together until eventually we tie our shoes with unthinking involvement - the "flow" you talk about. But make no mistake, before there can be flow, there must be precision of position and technique. Just ask any violin virtuoso, champion billiards star, or a sixth dan martial artist.

Golf learning and experience could be summed up by a verse from the Bible - "When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways."

Thank you for your kind words, and I am glad I inspired you....that really is after all..all I am after!

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

September 7th, 2011, 9:59 pm #4

God bless you!

Sally
http://www.tutelman.com/golf/swing/leecommotion1.php

September 7th, 2011, 10:36 pm #5

God bless you!

Sally
http://www.youtube.com/user/RSGMotion#p ... VxoNDl-xGo